IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Want to represent your ward on the District or Town Council???, I want to give you the tools to do the job...
Richard Garvie
post Oct 12 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

I am hoping to organise a taster session for would be elected members to see what is involved in being a councillor. What West Berkshire needs now more than ever are people who have a genuine interest in fixing the mess that we find ourselves in. Although this will be run by Newbury Labour Party, I would especially love to see the independents and the guys from the greens and other party's.

Local politics should be more about the issues than the colour of your rossette, which is why we are looking to provide this event. Present will be officers from local authorities from around the country, elected representatives from other authorities at town and district level and also a couple of MP's. This event can only happen if we get enough interest, so please email me at richard.garvie@googlemail.com. I want to stress again, that even if you don't want to stand for Labour, it would be great to see you at this event.

Together, we can change West Berks for the better.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Simon Kirby
post Oct 12 2010, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I think this is a great idea Richard. When Mike Rodgers shook off the shackles of his lib-dem oppression and continued as an independent I really hoped that he might make the independent an acceptable alternative in Newbury's local politics. It was a great shame that he moved away. I'm not aware that an independent has ever been elected to the Town Council. The people of Newbury have been poorly served by the party politicking, but more than that they've been poorly served by the self-serving do-nothings that get in on whatever party ticket they can, and the political climbers who care nothing about parish services.

Trouble is at the parish level almost no one knows anything about how well their councillors are representing their interests.

Anywho, I'm very interested in standing as an independent for the Town Council. I'll post my manifesto in another thread.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Oct 13 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Oh Richard, why did you have to mention the 'C' word?

It's bad enough that Cameron thinks localism is about giving councils more power.

The Swiss have a better idea....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy#Switzerland

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 13 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Unfortunately it will only be national politics that decides the future political system in this country. I like the elected mayor system, I like the presidential system in America. The problem is, I can't see those models working here without some change. I've heard rumblings about the "Elected Mayor" system being suggested within conservative circles locally and although I think there would be a lot of conflict in the council chamber, it is more accountable to an extent. Where it falls down is cooperation from the full council, but if we were to elect a non Tory mayor with a Tory full council, would they still support the model??? I suggest they will go for the "Strong Leader and Cabinet" system, which is the most effective way in my opinion as it gives more power to the party which is elected with the most seats. Where it falls down is when you have a party who couldn't care less about taking the big decisions, and delegating everything to unaccountable officers within the local authority.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Oct 13 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Back to where we are now then.

Perhaps I needed to be clearer....I don't want you or anyone else making decisions on my behalf. I am quite capable of making them myself.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:34 PM