> Why.........
massifheed
post Oct 7 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:04 AM) *
Calling some woman ugly is not really rude, it's my opinion.

Not really. If you call someone in person ugly - "You're ugly" - then that is an insult and is indeed rude. If you say you think someone's ugly, then that is just your opinion.

If you don't believe me, you could try visiting a number of Newbury's drinking establishments late in the evening and call any number of patrons "ugly" and see if they view it as an insult, or just your opinion.

Report back with your findings. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #22

Guests

"who I can only describe as ugly". My opinion!!
I didn't say it to her face as I prefer to rant about things on forums rather than take affirmative action in the first place.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 7 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 11:33 AM) *
I didn't say it to her face as I prefer to rant about things on forums rather than take affirmative action in the first place.

I thought you were all for speaking your mind...

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 11:33 AM) *
There is one thing I hate more than rude people... ...and that's people who don't speak their mind, or people who are too scared/worried of what society says is OK to say - as long as it's not hugely insulting to a group of people (so nothing racist or hatred inciting) it should be said.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #24

Guests

Thanks for quoting what I already wrote. Otherwise I feel I would have forgotten it. I am the first person to speak my mind as anyone who knows me can attest. Just that at times you need to take a step back and be the "bigger man" and just leave it. I'm almost certain this woman was a gypsy so escalating would have not been very wise.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 7 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:00 PM) *
Thanks for quoting what I already wrote. Otherwise I feel I would have forgotten it.

Sarcastic as well! Another thing to put on the CV.

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:00 PM) *
I am the first person to speak my mind...

Unless you are being confronted by someone for parking in a restricted parking space it seems.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #26

Guests

You learn quickly. And no. Normally I would have given her some witty retort but I simply thought better of it in that particular situation. You know, the "mature thing to do". If it happened today then perhaps I would have been a bit more vocal to whoever came over to me.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 7 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Normally I would have given her some witty retort...

Depends on your definition of "witty", I guess.

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:19 PM) *
If it happened today then perhaps I would have been a bit more vocal to whoever came over to me.

Yes, well, you certainly sound like the kind of chap who always speaks his mind. Sometimes. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Blue
post Oct 7 2011, 12:41 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,859

Boys, boys! (or girls).

You're proving that my original point on this thread is accurate..........

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Oct 7 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 12:04 AM) *
Naming and shaming isn't really cool. If you wanted to make your point you wouldn't have tried to shine a spotlight on the people who made these god awful comments.

Am I not allowed an opinion? There is one thing I hate more than rude people (as in the arrogant, stuck up aristocratic type of people who walk around looking down their crooked nose at people from the seat of their big 4x4) and that's people who don't speak their mind, or people who are too scared/worried of what society says is OK to say - as long as it's not hugely insulting to a group of people (so nothing racist or hatred inciting) it should be said.

Calling some woman ugly is not really rude, it's my opinion. Likewise if someone was to call me ugly, that's their opinion and it's only after repeated namecalling by people/persons who are supposed to be my friend would I get offended. Someone calling me something on the internet generally does not annoy me, nor would it hurt me if I jumped to conclusions about how someone went and parked, logged onto an internet forum and found that in a off-the-cuff post they included the word "ugly". I'd probably laugh!

Much like JayJay said... It can't be personal since you are unknown.

Plus the fact I was quite peeved off by this woman's actions lead me to making heat-of-the-moment remarks. It was nothing to do with her being a woman as I am normally very respectful of women and don't judge a book by its cover. If it was a bloke I'd have probably said the same thing. Hopefully that wasn't a sort of feminist dig (because I get the feeling if it was "ugly guys" your post wouldn't have been made..) But anyway, sorry it wasn't quite P.C enough for you.

Anyway, some people take life far too seriously. I try and inject a little bit of humour into every post I make. It's not often it'll go all serious and straight talking. Some people, on the other hand, treat every post, sentence and letter as fact and will blindly disagree with everyone, or be almost Christian-like (no offence to any lovers-of-Jesus on here) and try to FORCE their opinion down your throat with a sharp stick (probably a pitchfork of some kind).

It doesn't help that there are quite a few "members" who actually belong to the same household, whether it be brother and sister, husband and wife, or any combination of the two...so they turn it into a sort of personal internet playground (to be stupid in). It also wouldn't surprise me if there were people who used more than 2 accounts to create e-arguments for their own entertainment. Also I should let you know I have no idea what this "other" forum is that you mention (so I can only presume I haven't created a false identity) and I do not use any other accounts. I only signed up because I've been reading the forums for quite a while and decided I'd like to chip in as well! Check IP logs with admins should you not believe me. sad.gif

The general level of this forum is quite mature and it's only inevitable that a bunch of middle aged men and women on a local town forum will end up talking about politics and that will be the main end of the forum. Also, with greying hair/hair loss generally tempers can get a bit lairy. Because once you turn 40, what else is there to do?

For a small town forum this is quite nice actually.

I'm a great neighbour. I am quiet, keep to myself, love cats and even take the rubbish out! smile.gif

I'm sure you are - I love cats too!

I only 'named and shamed' because Strafin questioned whether women had indeed been called 'ugly' and 'hideous'.

I am no feminist (I fear some women may have overtaken men now in the aggression/bullying department) but I am not sure some people (male & female) would feel comfortable posting on this forum at times.

There is no doubt, certain forum members dominate here - I also question whether some of them don't 're-invent' themselves from time to time. But I really cannot believe your assertion that you don't know of any 'other forum' xjay - since you do seem to know almost everyone in Newbury wink.gif .

I am not suggesting that you have re-invented yourself - I'm not sure you could make up a 20 year old, home-owning, VW Golf-driving guy who can probably split the atom!! To be honest, most 20 year olds I know cannot even afford to leave home so you are right in your signature, you're not normal!! But you are funny and I enjoy your posts!

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #30

Guests

QUOTE (wabbit @ Oct 7 2011, 02:08 PM) *
I'm sure you are - I love cats too!

I only 'named and shamed' because Strafin questioned whether women had indeed been called 'ugly' and 'hideous'.

Oh okay then you are forgiven since you like cats

I am no feminist (I fear some women may have overtaken men now in the aggression/bullying department) but I am not sure some people (male & female) would feel comfortable posting on this forum at times.

Nice to know some women can admit that. huh.gif We're all guilty of saying slightly bad things both about our own sex and the opposite; however recently I feel women have taken it past the balance point and now in effect bully their ways on everyone else. It was only yesterday I got my *** kicked by a Barbie doll.

There is no doubt, certain forum members dominate here - I also question whether some of them don't 're-invent' themselves from time to time. But I really cannot believe your assertion that you don't know of any 'other forum' xjay - since you do seem to know almost everyone in Newbury wink.gif .

I seriously have no idea what the "other" forum is RE Newbury. The only other forums I am active on is the Live for Speed forum (game), uk-mkiv and ukmkv.net (car) and the Street Triple forum! The only person I know in Newbury is some bird at Sainsburys who says hello when I buy my lunch, unlike the rest of the miserable people in there. blink.gif

I am not suggesting that you have re-invented yourself - I'm not sure you could make up a 20 year old, home-owning, VW Golf-driving guy who can probably split the atom!! To be honest, most 20 year olds I know cannot even afford to leave home so you are right in your signature, you're not normal!! But you are funny and I enjoy your posts!

I'm glad you think so. laugh.gif You are welcome to my house for Tea... not that I ever have Tea. All of your statement is true except the split the atom. Because I actually created the atom in a past life. It's a 2 bedroom flat but yeah, near enough. :>

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 7 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Blue @ Oct 6 2011, 08:34 PM) *
Looking at the members with the most posts the top 2 a GMR and an Iommi are way ahead of anyone else, I'm curious as to why they have fallen silent on here of late.

GMR takes break every now & then.
Iommi is still on here believe me. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 7 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Oct 7 2011, 02:44 PM) *
The only other forums I am active on is the Live for Speed forum (game), uk-mkiv and ukmkv.net (car) and the Street Triple forum!

You have a "Triple" then?
I nearly went for the "Trumpet" but settled for another!!

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Oct 7 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 7 2011, 05:32 PM) *

I had a brief flirtation with a 'Speed Trip' a fews years ago. Probably the easiest bike to wheelie I've ever ridden. I got fed up with the lack of a fairing though. And the useless brakes which seemed to need constant fettling. I think a lot of Triumphs have that problem though.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Oct 7 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Oct 7 2011, 05:32 PM) *

Yeah, when I was 19 (lol) I went and got a new Street Triple R on finance, came to over £10k with the options (everything basically). I had to sell it to buy a better car as I needed a diesel for work. I miss it! I hang around on the triple forums as it's still a nice place and I even went to a meet a while ago. There's no hard feelings just 'cause I don't have the bike anymore. tongue.gif

Stewie I can't speak for the Speeds (although early ones did have a dodgy m/c) but the brakes on the Street R were stunning, one finger and you'd have the rear wheel in the air! Stopped like a ***** lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:48 PM