Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terrible School Uniform Shop !
Sidney
post Aug 16 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,006

Would like to know if other forum users are experiencing the same problem with the School Uniform Shop in Bartholomew Street ??

This is the third year running and the scenario goes like this -

1. Massive Queue regardless of time and day of the week.
2. They NEVER have everything I need.
3. I have to order it and pay up front (like they are not going to sell it to someone else !)
4. When I ask when it will be available they don't know.
5. Just telephoned to see if my order is ready and it has taken half an hour to get through. Phone diverts to answer phone but there is actually no message recording.
6. Finally got through and the goods aren't ready - and they don't know when they will be available. angry.gif

What galls me most is I can't buy it anywhere else because they have to have to logo's.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 16 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The school uniform monopoly. Sharp practice if you were to ask me.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 16 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Tesco do Primary school stuff, and don't Camps do the badges so that you can make your own uniform for secondary schools? I have heard bad things about Logo's though.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 16 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

EEEEEK!

Showing my age here. Pa and I used to catch a steam train to Harrods,(via platform 9.5). from Newbury.
He would be dressed in best Humphrey Bogart mackintosh. I would be forced into the barber chair in the basement.
"Anything for the weekend sir" never arose. I was 9 years old!

Then the new corduroy shorts were measured. A new cap was issued which we were meant to wear during holidays
and doff when Ladies walked past.

I never liked the treat at the end of the day. Smorgasbrod on the top floor. Help yourself to unmentionables.
Do Primark do Swedish cold collations as a help yourself option,or is that just in Croydon?

Sorry to be a bit negative about uniforms.Mine are past 30 now.It was a terrible time... They just kept on growing!

ce

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Aug 16 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

I never liked the treat at the end of the day. Smorgasbrod on the top floor.

Bet you moved on to Fwedericks in later life.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 16 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 16 2011, 05:20 PM) *
Tesco do Primary school stuff, and don't Camps do the badges so that you can make your own uniform for secondary schools? I have heard bad things about Logo's though.

Some schools insist on the uniform coming from one shop, although perhaps the shop in question is simply too busy for its own good.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 16 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

1. Massive Queue regardless of time and day of the week.

They should be handing out numbers for people to be served. We were there 45 minutes and were served by 3 different people because the staff has hopping from customer to customer like flea's.

4. When I ask when it will be available they don't know.

Our order was to be a week, and it was late.

They do have a monopoly in the town, and the stuff was not cheap..

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 16 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Sounds like there's a gap in the market.

Perhaps anyone who's thinking of opening yet another hairdressers or baguette shop should take note?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 16 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 16 2011, 08:18 PM) *
Sounds like there's a gap in the market.

Perhaps anyone who's thinking of opening yet another hairdressers or baguette shop should take note?

Yes, but there is a very narrow window of high activity and some schools have it as a condition of entry that the uniform is sole sourced.

+Quote Post
Sidney
post Aug 16 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,006

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 16 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Yes, but there is a very narrow window of high activity and some schools have it as a condition of entry that the uniform is sole sourced.

They do indeed - monopolies commission should investigate ! Kennet insist on a particular style of skirt only supplied by this shop. Do the schools get some sort of donation from this ??

The thing is, they know how many children there are in a school, and what year they are in ..... but don't appear to even attempt to make an educated guess as to how much to stock !?

I went in May for a replacement jumper, but they didn't have it and couldn't tell me when it would be available - so what hope is there in August ?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 17 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

School uniform may not generally have a sole (or school only) supplier. If this is, in fact, the case, then complain to both the Governors of the school concerned and WBC. There are definite requirements of school uniform supply.

Primary schools (other than private sector) cannot insist upon a uniform as condition of entry; secondaries can.

There are, AFAIK, two school uniform shops in Newbury/ Bartholomew Street and the Broadway.

Legally, a secondary school can send a student home for not complying with its uniform code - until the student does comply. This is not an exclusion; it is an unauthorised absence for which parents can be penalised.

+Quote Post
user23
post Aug 17 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Aug 17 2011, 08:08 PM) *
School uniform may not generally have a sole (or school only) supplier. If this is, in fact, the case, then complain to both the Governors of the school concerned and WBC. There are definite requirements of school uniform supply.
Kennet is an Academy and not maintained by WBC, so complaining to WBC would probably do very little.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Aug 17 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (user23 @ Aug 17 2011, 08:15 PM) *
Kennet is an Academy and not maintained by WBC, so complaining to WBC would probably do very little.

Then it doesn't have Governors either; it has Directors.

In the case of an academy, complaints should be addressed to the DfE rather that WBC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 01:15 AM