IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pobably a long shot...., Fundraising!!!
cornflake
post Jun 10 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,243

Hey everyone,

Ok, I know this is a long shot (not even sure if I am allowed to post this on here or not?) But, my friends have been working so hard for the last three months to raise enough money to climb Mount Kilamanjaro for Scope.
If any of you have kiddies at school/college you might have heard about similar schemes going on for years.

Problem is, they've got ONE week to get £500 now. They've done so well and are just a tiny amount off so if ANY of you might donate even just a pound it would make a difference.

http://www.justgiving.com/The-Crazy-MtKClimb
Scope Mount Kilamanjaro

She is also doing commisioned artwork for people too, so if you would like something...sketches/paintings/drawings/digital she can do it! She is amazing!

Please help!
Many many thanks for just reading this!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Jun 10 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Oh, if you do; please say you were directed from here X

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 10 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

Hi I don't think you're allowed to advertise. Admin might delete thread.
I don't care, most others won't. The uppity club will be along soon to complain though

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 10 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 10 2012, 04:41 PM) *
Hi I don't think you're allowed to advertise. Admin might delete thread.
I don't care, most others won't. The uppity club will be along soon to complain though

No, that's fine by me.
As long as it is OK to promote on here then I have several things I'd like to mention.
Nothing better than free advertising!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 10 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Difference is Mr Biker you'd be likely advertising for personal gains where as this is for a charity.
Bit different but again I think that point eludes you.

And so far that's an average of £135 a person give or take a few quid (rough head calculation) so I think that's very good of those who have donated.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 10 2012, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Timbo @ Jun 10 2012, 06:56 PM) *
Bit different but again I think that point eludes you.

Nope, I said I was OK with it.

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jun 10 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

It was the second point that sort of confused me. I presumed sarcasm.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 10 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I'm at a bit of a loss with this and other fund raising where the partcipants raise money to, in this case, climb a mountain. Is this just money for a free holiday with a bit left over for charity or does the full amount raised go to the charity and the participants pay their own costs.
If it's the former, I'd like to walk the beach in Barbados please.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 10 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 10 2012, 08:24 PM) *
I'm at a bit of a loss with this and other fund raising where the partcipants raise money to, in this case, climb a mountain. Is this just money for a free holiday with a bit left over for charity or does the full amount raised go to the charity and the participants pay their own costs.
The page says
Of course all of the money will go to Scope.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 10 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jun 10 2012, 08:24 PM) *
If it's the former, I'd like to walk the beach in Barbados please.

Depends.

Some charity adventures are fully paid holidays for which the organisers expect a level of fundraising in exchange for participation.

Some organisers have actually changed the rules over the last few years as some realised that you could write a cheque for the minimum fund donation required & get a unique holiday in exchange.

Organising these events is big business......

http://www.globaladventurechallenges.com/i...against-cancer/

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 10 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

At the end of the day OP was actually paying us a compliment Thinking that there are a good few people who look at this forum and some of whom may want to contribute. Reinforcing Bikers comment about publicity. We all know how charities try to raise funds and this is a pretty well mannered approach. We can choose - simple as that.

The kids enjoy it, the supporting business keeps people in jobs and Scope cream off a reasonable wadge. Win win in my book.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Jun 10 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

On The Edge, you are amazing and have all my thanks and love for helping.

I will see if my friends are happy to come on here to explain a bit about what they are doing and where the money is going if it will prompt more people to donate?

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Jun 10 2012, 08:49 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

I admire them for wanting to take this on - not an easy challenge! But as with all these sponsored expeditions there are bound to be costs deducted out of the sponsorship money. In this case the trip is booked by scope - all flights, accommodation, food, guides etc are paid for out of the sponsorship money - as long as each individual raises a minimum amount of a little over £3k each. So whilst all the money will go to scope - I would estimate less than half that amount will end up directly supporting their charitable aims - the majority of the money will pay for the expedition costs.

Don't take this as being uncharitable - do fundraising myself - and have family and friends who regularly do the same. However there will always be admin costs of some sort - and the bigger the challenge, the bigger the costs.

However - good luck to them!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 10 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't mind this kind of post at all. An existing forum member doing a one off request seems fine to me.

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Jun 11 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Haha thanks Strafin!

I will try to be more active on here as well, been checking up on you guys the last week. I was enjoying the Green Meanie thred. Was gonna ask about motorcycle parking but Biker1 got there first! Winner!

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Jun 11 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

ARGH!!

I just realised I left out the R to probably! I am sorry to anyone who finds this as annoying as I do!!!! (The spelling, not the thread tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 11 2012, 05:31 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Jacklets @ Jun 10 2012, 09:49 PM) *
I admire them for wanting to take this on - not an easy challenge! But as with all these sponsored expeditions there are bound to be costs deducted out of the sponsorship money. In this case the trip is booked by scope - all flights, accommodation, food, guides etc are paid for out of the sponsorship money - as long as each individual raises a minimum amount of a little over £3k each. So whilst all the money will go to scope - I would estimate less than half that amount will end up directly supporting their charitable aims - the majority of the money will pay for the expedition costs.

Don't take this as being uncharitable - do fundraising myself - and have family and friends who regularly do the same. However there will always be admin costs of some sort - and the bigger the challenge, the bigger the costs.

However - good luck to them!

So that's a no from you then!

No need to jusify we can all work out what we are being asked to contribute towards. Of course, like the poor, admin is always with us. Think about it, whoever pays your income (even if its you) incurs some cost. Presumably even in the charitable organisations you support!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Jun 11 2012, 05:57 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 11 2012, 06:31 AM) *
So that's a no from you then!

No need to jusify we can all work out what we are being asked to contribute towards. Of course, like the poor, admin is always with us. Think about it, whoever pays your income (even if its you) incurs some cost. Presumably even in the charitable organisations you support!

Yes - I do realise they all incur some costs which have to be deducted first - that was exactly my point and I have no problem with that at all. I was responding to an earlier comment that implied all of the money went to the charity with nothing being taken for the cost of the expedition.

Most understand how it works in reality, but I don't think all do.

No problem with the request being posted here - as long as it's ok for others to do the same. However as it's a forum there can't be any objections to subsequent debates surely?!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 11 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jacklets @ Jun 11 2012, 06:57 AM) *
No problem with the request being posted here - as long as it's ok for others to do the same. However as it's a forum there can't be any objections to subsequent debates surely?!

I agree and well put.
However there is rule 5 © here.
I presume charitable requests do not fall under this umbrella?

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Jun 11 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Hmmm, well hopefully the admins will just remove the post and not disallow me to use the forum for this if it is unacceptable.

I am happy for this to promote a debate about charity in general but I am geniinely just trying to help some mates reach their goal. Less than 500 to go out of just over 10k is quite an achievement anyway!

One of the people doing it has signed up to tell you all about it, but there is that probation period where you cannot post anything (what is that for?) so I think she has to wait a day to post.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:31 AM