Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books
Turin Machine
post Dec 17 2019, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

Just reading Cormack Macarthay's Blood Meridian. Excellent stuff, early but good, you can read a lot of his Border trilogy in it. Highly recommended.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Dec 18 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I'm planning to start reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's Tale sequel) during a long railway journey on Friday. I'll submit a review once I have finished it if anybody is remotely interested.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 18 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 18 2019, 03:08 PM) *
I'm planning to start reading The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (The Handmaid's Tale sequel) during a long railway journey on Friday. I'll submit a review once I have finished it if anybody is remotely interested.

Yes, thanks, that would be appreciated. Never read any Atwood so should be interesting.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 18 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 18 2019, 03:08 PM) *

Yes please.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Dec 27 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I was unable to start reading this book on the train due to various issues but started reading it on Christmas Eve and then couldn't put it down until I had finished reading it because it was so addictive. For those of you who are unaware of the plot of the original, it concerns a dystopian future where a religious theocracy has taken over most of what was the USA due to a falling birth rate amongst other things. One of the key plot points is that certain fertile, unmarried women are now the property of the state and are forced to have children with men in positions of authority and then give up their children to the wives of those men. I would happily give this book 5/5 and say that it is a deserved joint winner of the Booker Prize in 2019.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 27 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Dec 27 2019, 09:36 AM) *
I was unable to start reading this book on the train due to various issues but started reading it on Christmas Eve and then couldn't put it down until I had finished reading it because it was so addictive. For those of you who are unaware of the plot of the original, it concerns a dystopian future where a religious theocracy has taken over most of what was the USA due to a falling birth rate amongst other things. One of the key plot points is that certain fertile, unmarried women are now the property of the state and are forced to have children with men in positions of authority and then give up their children to the wives of those men. I would happily give this book 5/5 and say that it is a deserved joint winner of the Booker Prize in 2019.

I'm currently reading "Peope once respected me as a QC, but a fox and social media ruined my career" by Jolyon Maugham

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 27 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thanks, good to know. I may even give it a go myself.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Dec 28 2019, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I'm not sure really, I once tried 'Handmaids Tale' and didn't finish it, I must though give it another try. Mine turned out (as so many of his writings) a bit dark, consisting of the life of the main protagonist (The Kid) as he wanders through the great southwest and into Mexico and later in the book running with the Glanton gang in an orgy of destruction. Dank but beautifully written. Great read.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 2 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 27 2019, 05:45 PM) *
I'm currently reading "Peope once respected me as a QC, but a fox and social media ruined my career" by Jolyon Maugham

Try “Let it Go”.

Actually I was disgusted by that. What decent human being takes a baseball bat to a defenceless and trapped animal. But honestly, I think your online radicalisation should concern you.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 2 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

To add, I read The Testament a while back and really enjoyed it. I haven’t read The Handmaid’s Tale, but I’ve read quite a few of hers. Oryx £
& Crake was very good.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jan 3 2020, 12:47 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jan 2 2020, 08:37 PM) *
To add, I read The Testament a while back and really enjoyed it. I haven’t read The Handmaid’s Tale, but I’ve read quite a few of hers. Oryx £
& Crake was very good.

So, who are your three most favorite authors (and why?)

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 3 2020, 11:09 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Jan 2 2020, 08:33 PM) *
Try “Let it Go”.

Actually I was disgusted by that. What decent human being takes a baseball bat to a defenceless and trapped animal. But honestly, I think your online radicalisation should concern you.

Me? Let it go? You have been the one going on about stopping Brexit. For 3 years...And then you agree with me about Jo Maugham but say I am "radicalised". You are funny....

Anyway I can't offer much on the subject of books I am afraid. I used to read a lot but only focus on the far right Twitter accounts now. 😂😂😂😂

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Jan 3 2020, 12:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jan 3 2020, 12:47 AM) *
So, who are your three most favorite authors (and why?)

Philip K. **** - science fiction with a social commentary

Terry Pratchett - just hilarious and excellent characters

Stephen King - really good at building up the suspense

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 4 2020, 02:42 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I widely choose authors whose book or books I always return to and reread,so:
Cormack McCarthy, generally disregarded at first but in my opinion, No country for old men, the border trilogy and Child of God are masterpieces.

John Steinbeck, mainly for the Grapes of wrath and The old man and the sea.

H. G. Wells, but in this case for his masterful 'The history of Mr Polly' great book.

I would have added Pratchet except for his insistence of the destruction of all his unfinished material.

Honourable mention to Bernard Cornwall for his fantastically well researched historical novels.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jan 4 2020, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Difficult one,

For me,

Cormack McCarthy
John Connolly For his outstanding American noir.
Stuart McBride Pure Scottish gore / comedy police novels

Honorable mention to either
Bill Bryson
or
Bernard Cornwall for his Lord of the North series.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 6 2020, 09:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Well, this is going well then? All the ambiance of a deserted slaughter house.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 8 2020, 07:18 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Choosing just three authors is tricky. One and two are easy but three could be one of dozens.

John Irving. The quirky stories, the common themes, the ease of reading. I find his books absorbing.

Ian Rankin. Great yarns and humour. Love the characters. I met Ian Rankin at the Marlborough festival. Very nice man.

C J Sansom. The Shardlake novels. It’s like being there! Great plots too.

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 8 2020, 07:21 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 3 2020, 11:09 AM) *
Me? Let it go? You have been the one going on about stopping Brexit. For 3 years...And then you agree with me about Jo Maugham but say I am "radicalised". You are funny....

Anyway I can't offer much on the subject of books I am afraid. I used to read a lot but only focus on the far right Twitter accounts now. 😂😂😂😂

I agree on Maugham but I’ll bet you’d defend Johnson. For me, Maugham is forever the bloke that battered a defenceless creature and a c**t.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jan 8 2020, 09:37 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jan 8 2020, 07:21 AM) *
I agree on Maugham but I’ll bet you’d defend Johnson. For me, Maugham is forever the bloke that battered a defenceless creature and a c**t.

laugh.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Jan 8 2020, 10:23 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jan 8 2020, 09:37 AM) *
laugh.gif

You laugh but it's here that I think the left differ from the populist/Brexiters/Trumpians. I'd never vote for or support a candidate that lied and cheated. There's nothing in politics that takes precedence over honesty and integrity.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:36 AM