Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New cinema opening this week
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 10 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #1

Guests

As regulars on here will know I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of Vue.

I was however surprised at the ticket prices when I went on their website to see what's on etc.

Is it just me or is £7.95 for a non-concessionary ticket too high?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Nov 10 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 10 2009, 10:04 AM) *
As regulars on here will know I have been eagerly awaiting the opening of Vue.

I was however surprised at the ticket prices when I went on their website to see what's on etc.

Is it just me or is £7.95 for a non-concessionary ticket too high?

It is but is it any different to the prices at Reading or Basingstoke? if the answer is no then I guess that is just the cost of going to the flicks nowadays........it has possibly be quite a while since some Newburians have been.

Do you have any yarns of going to see a movie, getting a bag of chips on the way, paying for your bus fare and still getting change out of a shilling?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

If you wanted to go to Reading and see 2012 on Saturday evening, this would be the cost.

Cinema: Vue Reading
Screen: Screen 3
Start time: 8:12pm
End time: 11:10pm

Adult..................£7.65
Adult VIP Seat.........£9.15
Child..................£5.75
Child VIP Seat.........£7.25
Senior.................£5.75
Senior VIP Seat........£7.25
Student................£6.50
Student VIP Seat.......£8.00
Teen...................£6.10
Teen VIP Seat..........£7.60
Family X4.............£23.00
Family X4 VIP Seats...£29.00

Attached File(s)
Attached File  VueReading.jpg ( 106.25K ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Nov 10 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2009, 01:47 PM) *
If you wanted to go to Reading and see 2012 on Saturday evening, this would be the cost.

Cinema: Vue Reading
Screen: Screen 3
Start time: 8:12pm
End time: 11:10pm

Adult..................£7.65
Adult VIP Seat.........£9.15
Child..................£5.75
Child VIP Seat.........£7.25
Senior.................£5.75
Senior VIP Seat........£7.25
Student................£6.50
Student VIP Seat.......£8.00
Teen...................£6.10
Teen VIP Seat..........£7.60
Family X4.............£23.00
Family X4 VIP Seats...£29.00

How strange, Reading appears to be 30p cheaper than both the Newbury and Basingstoke Vue cinemas.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 10 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Nov 10 2009, 01:55 PM) *
How strange, Reading appears to be 30p cheaper than both the Newbury and Basingstoke Vue cinemas.
Is it a standard price, or does the price vary from screen to screen or at different hours of the day?

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Nov 10 2009, 02:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 10 2009, 01:56 PM) *
Is it a standard price, or does the price vary from screen to screen or at different hours of the day?

From what I can see Newbury is £7.95 at weekends (inc Fri) and £7.15 mid-week, whereas Reading is £7.65 at weekends (inc Fri) and £6.90 mid-week.

One thing I have noticed is that the 3D prices in Newbury are very good value at the moment as there is no increase e.g. UP in 3D is £7.95 in Newbury this weekend where as it is £10.15 in Reading! best get in quick before they UP it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 10 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Gumbo @ Nov 10 2009, 01:32 PM) *
Do you have any yarns of going to see a movie, getting a bag of chips on the way, paying for your bus fare and still getting change out of a shilling?

Absolutely, but that was 30 odd years ago.

What I have found over the last ten years or so is that sporting events, concerts, theatre and cinema tickets, decent clothes and shoes and even an after work pint in the pub have spiralled price-wise compared to wages, hence making it almost impossible for hard working people, especially with a mortgage and family to enjoy a few simple pleasures, rather than just exist.

Dont all honest hard working folk deserve a better quality of life and wouldn't more reasonable pricing policies reduce the exclusivity of the haves compared to the have nots? It would be good for the economy of certain businesses too surely to be busier than they are.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 10 2009, 02:49 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

How old do you have to be to benefit from the Senior price range?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Nov 10 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 10 2009, 02:43 PM) *
Absolutely, but that was 30 odd years ago.

What I have found over the last ten years or so is that sporting events, concerts, theatre and cinema tickets, decent clothes and shoes and even an after work pint in the pub have spiralled price-wise compared to wages, hence making it almost impossible for hard working people, especially with a mortgage and family to enjoy a few simple pleasures, rather than just exist.

Dont all honest hard working folk deserve a better quality of life and wouldn't more reasonable pricing policies reduce the exclusivity of the haves compared to the have nots? It would be good for the economy of certain businesses too surely to be busier than they are.

Totally agree and because of the cost the Gumbos are unlikely to be going to the cinema more than once a month.

Big sporting events and concerts at the larger venues are now over £50 a time and even the smaller gigs and sporting events are about £20.

But somehow......and I don't know how.......they are finding people to pay these prices and the shows/events are packed out. At some point though the bubble surely has to burst.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 10 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 10 2009, 02:49 PM) *
How old do you have to be to benefit from the Senior price range?

60, like everywhere else, I assume.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Nov 10 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I agree with you Bill.

It is quite horrifying and outrageous to see how so many prices have exploded, especially in the last four years. I have been to some public houses which now charge £3.50 for a pint of beer now...that cannot be justified. L

Landlords bemoan the closure of their pubs but is it any wonder businesses struggle when they run extortion against the consumer?

The pubs are but one example. As well as the outrageous cost of the new cinema tickets, we will still have to drive to the movie theater (with rip-off fuel) and then pay to park now evening parking is being charged for when, until recently, it was free.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 10 2009, 06:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 10 2009, 04:27 PM) *
I agree with you Bill.

It is quite horrifying and outrageous to see how so many prices have exploded, especially in the last four years. I have been to some public houses which now charge £3.50 for a pint of beer now...that cannot be justified. L

Landlords bemoan the closure of their pubs but is it any wonder businesses struggle when they run extortion against the consumer?

The pubs are but one example. As well as the outrageous cost of the new cinema tickets, we will still have to drive to the movie theater (with rip-off fuel) and then pay to park now evening parking is being charged for when, until recently, it was free.
Will you be welcoming the arrival of Wetherspoons?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Nov 10 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

So let's just round up a few things, the cinema will be more expensive to visit than Reading or Basingstoke, parking in Newbury is more expensive than Reading or Basingstoke and as a town have far less to offer. Traffic is snarled up for 4 hours a day now, there isn't a great choice of places to eat, let's face it, rubbish shops in one end and an empty mall at the other, and now they're going to ruin the park as well? I have to say I don't think Newbury is becoming a clone of other towns, it's going to be a disaster.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 10 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 10 2009, 07:10 PM) *
So let's just round up a few things, the cinema will be more expensive to visit than Reading or Basingstoke, parking in Newbury is more expensive than Reading or Basingstoke and as a town have far less to offer.

I disagree, this town has more than Reading could ever have, not least that one is within walking distance of the great out doors. Newbury has practically everything Reading has, except on a smaller scale. I used to like going to Reading every once and a while, but I cannot remember the last time I went there.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 10 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 10 2009, 07:10 PM) *
So let's just round up a few things, the cinema will be more expensive to visit than Reading or Basingstoke, parking in Newbury is more expensive than Reading or Basingstoke and as a town have far less to offer.
Previous posts seem to suggest the cinema is the same price as Basingstoke and with evening parking £1 compared to the Oracle's £2 this would seem to make Newbury the cheapest, even before you add on the cost of travel.

Oh, and cheer up mate. smile.gif
QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 10 2009, 07:14 PM) *
I disagree, this town has more than Reading could ever have, not least that one is within walking distance of the great out doors. Newbury has practically everything Reading has, except on a smaller scale. I used to like going to Reading every once and a while, but I cannot remember the last time I went there.
I agree. Small enough to be able to walk to all the bars and restaurants but with enough choice to please most people.

+Quote Post
Simon
post Nov 11 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I am going to see Saw VI at Newbury Cinema tonight so will let you all know tomorrow what its like. I am looking forward to it, just wondering what the prices will be for food and drink

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Jamoza
post Nov 11 2009, 11:17 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Simon @ Nov 11 2009, 11:06 AM) *
I am going to see Saw VI at Newbury Cinema tonight so will let you all know tomorrow what its like. I am looking forward to it, just wondering what the prices will be for food and drink

do you work for vodafone then? they are having a private night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon
post Nov 11 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Might do wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darren
post Nov 11 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Just wait until it becomes the favoured haunt of every chav in town

+Quote Post
Simon
post Nov 11 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Does that include me and the wife as 'chavs' as we plan to go lots?

Plus every cinema in the country is a favoured haunt of so called chavs, but we were all once our own generations version of 'chavs'

I think we were called 'townies' in my day biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:33 PM