> Crime in Thatcham
Phil_D11102
post Jul 25 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 25 2011, 07:30 PM) *
Unless it has been expressly withdrawn in writing by the householder for the individual (or organisation), there is a Common Law right to enter property to gain access to the premises. Otherwise, every delivery person would require individual permission to
undertake their delivery.

The gate that was opened (after it was closed and checked as it is every night) was less than 3 feet from the front door. As it was after midnight, we did not order food, nor does DHL, etc deliver that late at night, so there was no reason to enter my property. There was no knock on the door asking permission to enter the property. The gate that was opened leads only to the garage and to the back door of the property. There is no exit/public footpath on the property that people can use. The only way out from the back is either through the house or through the gate.

So the question is why did someone enter the property? My guess was to get to the garage as there is an increase in garage burglaries in Thatcham.

As there was nothing taken, was there any reason to call the police? No, because all I would of gotten was a police ref number. Was a crime committed, yes, I believe so as the person who opened the gate had no reason to go into the back garden/garage other to steal if they weren't distrubed.

Did I try to do the right thing and talk to the PCSO's at the public surgery? Yes, intent was to discss the incident/issue, and to find out how we can address reducing the issue of crime in the area. Only one thing didn't go to plan, which was the PCSO's didn't show up.

Sure? ....Sure it's not actually called 'Unlawful Entry'? and isn't it up to a Court to decide if a crime has been committed?

Still, you know best. (Apparently)

It actually takes less time to make an appointment with the CPRA than it does to come on here bleating that the old bill were too busy to see you about "The Case of the Open Gate"

Maybe I know best, maybe I don't. Again, if you read what I said I didn't waste police time calling them about about entry to my propery/attempted burglary (as it's clear that was the intent), but I tried to talk to the PCSO's at a published public surgery. Only one problem, the PCSO's werent' there.

Why am I suddenly feeling like I have done something wrong here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jul 25 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Sorry but I don't think there's a criminal offence of illegal or unlawful entry in British criminal law.

Burglary doesn't fit as nothing got nicked.

Attempted burglary not likely either as that requires an act (by the perpetrator) that is more than merely preparatory to the full offence.

All I can see from what you described is a civil offence of trespas.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 25 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

If anyone writes "could of" "should of" or "would of" again I am going to send an APB to the grammar police.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 25 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

If someone reported the 'trespass' incident to the police, would they record it?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Jul 25 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

This may help..

English Law

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 25 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 25 2011, 12:46 PM) *
This really bugs me as the cars block the cycle lane when they park there and put me and others at risk.

WHERE ARE OUR POLICE?

"The only think needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing"
Poor parking is not a criminal offence and is dealt with by the council, not the police.

Perhaps your perception that crime is increasing is due to your misunderstanding of what actually constitutes a crime?

In my view poor parking is not evil as you seem to suggest, just thoughtless.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:51 AM