IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local Headteacher earns more than PM, Kennet and Trinity head earns £175k a year
Andy1
post Jul 21 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 121

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Jul 21 2010, 03:22 PM) *
Surely all heads should be capable, just because one has failed doesn't necessarily make another twice as good as every other head in the country and worth this money - the failed head could have been just really bad and Mr D just average. There must be other heads capable of running Trinity at a more normal rate of pay. What happened to the old Trinity head, hope he isn't still a head elsewhere......

What is the normal rate for a Head Teacher running 2 schools in West Berks, one of which was apparently failing before he took it on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 21 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Surely all heads should be capable,

That would be ideal - but all heads are different, some will be more competent than others. Perhaps Mr D is simply much better than most other heads and capable of ensuring two, three, half a dozen schools are achieving excellence, while another excellent head may find one school enough. If he is that good it would be insane to waste his talents by restricting his contribution to a single school.

just because one has failed doesn't necessarily make another twice as good as every other head in the country and worth this money

There are heads paid more than Mr D - so the countrywide comparison does not stand up to scrutiny. Nor does the logic of the rest - if he is capable of success while running two schools why shouldn't he carry on doing it? If he is running two schools shouldn't he be paid more than for running one?

- the failed head could have been just really bad and Mr D just average.

Mr D's success at Kennet (turning it into the best local authority school in the area) and the improvements at Trinity suggest he is well above average.

There must be other heads capable of running Trinity at a more normal rate of pay. What happened to the old Trinity head, hope he isn't still a head elsewhere......

I don't know where she went.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 21 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

Thanks Blackdog, very full reply tongue.gif

I think what I was trying to say was:- is Mr D that exceptional or are many other heads not up to the job they are paid to do. We shouldn't surely need "superheads" just every head being able to do the job they are paid to do. Ideal word I know, but not only are we paying Mr D a lot of money, by the same token we are paying a lot of useless heads a still very decent wage for performing badly.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 21 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Which is what I've been saying since the beginning. Let's worry more about the cost of under performing teachers and heads, rather than the ones that are fine!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 21 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 21 2010, 09:16 AM) *
Does he still teach? I doubt if he has much time to prepare lessons and teach them if he has two schools to run.
Checked with my kids earlier this evening and Mr D was still teaching last term. Usually taught the maths classes and nearly always it was the classes for those pupils who were prone to being disruptive and difficult to teach.... When Mr D turned up for lessons there was a concentration of minds and funnily enough the disruptive pupils tended to be a bit more focused...

Without wishing to join the Mr D fanclub or cheerleading group, he is also a governor of a couple of primary schools (or was until very recently if he's no longer doing it) and is a magistrate, so I don't begrudge him his salary ... which is equivalent to one week's pay for Man City new boy Yaya Toure this coming season.... Try giving Toure two schools to run

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 21 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 21 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Checked with my kids earlier this evening and Mr D was still teaching last term. Usually taught the maths classes and nearly always it was the classes for those pupils who were prone to being disruptive and difficult to teach.... When Mr D turned up for lessons there was a concentration of minds and funnily enough the disruptive pupils tended to be a bit more focused...

Without wishing to join the Mr D fanclub or cheerleading group, he is also a governor of a couple of primary schools (or was until very recently if he's no longer doing it) and is a magistrate, so I don't begrudge him his salary ... which is equivalent to one week's pay for Man City new boy Yaya Toure this coming season.... Try giving Toure two schools to run

You're not seriously comparing this or any other "normal" salary with that of a ridiculously overpaid footballer? dry.gif

That doesn't make it right!

+Quote Post
Batfink
post Jul 21 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 202

You've got to wonder how much the ex-head of Trinity is earning at the Quango she works for though... maybe we could ask her: http://twitter.com/debbieforster

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 21 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 21 2010, 10:53 PM) *
You're not seriously comparing this or any other "normal" salary with that of a ridiculously overpaid footballer?
Well he's already being compared to the Prime Minister's salary...

Far easier to compare like with like. The head of the London primary school that started this all off is running Tidemill Primary in Lewisham. The school takes 400 pupils. He was paid a £231,400 salary, plus benefits of more than £45,000 last year..

Mr D is the Exec Head of Kennet and Trinity school. Total pupil numbers approx 2,800. We've got him quite cheap really....

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 22 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 21 2010, 10:50 PM) *

If I was earning £153,000 per annum with 13 weeks holiday (I'll wait for the "oh we have to arrange lessons and mark books" replies now) I could probably fit in time for some volunteer work

+Quote Post
Batfink
post Jul 22 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 202

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Jul 22 2010, 08:45 AM) *
If I was earning £153,000 per annum with 13 weeks holiday (I'll wait for the "oh we have to arrange lessons and mark books" replies now) I could probably fit in time for some volunteer work

Isn't he an FA referree? And a JP as well???

In other news, he must be doing an OK job. There are 3 photos of him in the NWN today!!!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 22 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Excluding stupidly overpaid footballers, it's such a shame that in this country there seems to be an undercurrent of jealousy for anybody who earns better than average salaries. If we get the right people with the appropriate skills, they deserve and are entitled to the big bucks. Fred stacking shelves in the supermarket is paid according to his ability and almost certainly, anybody could do that job. The pyramid gets narrower the nearer one gets to the pinnacle and the smaller the pool of persons able to do the top job.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 22 2010, 07:25 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't think it's jealousy, we're talking about millionaire headteachers being paid from the public purse. I'm just not sure £3.5k a WEEK is what a headteacher should be earning.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 22 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 22 2010, 08:25 PM) *
I don't think it's jealousy, we're talking about millionaire headteachers being paid from the public purse. I'm just not sure £3.5k a WEEK is what a headteacher should be earning.

I agree, I think it is to much and yes I am jealous! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 22 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 22 2010, 08:25 PM) *

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need", eh?

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Jul 23 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jul 22 2010, 08:08 PM) *
Excluding stupidly overpaid footballers, it's such a shame that in this country there seems to be an undercurrent of jealousy for anybody who earns better than average salaries. If we get the right people with the appropriate skills, they deserve and are entitled to the big bucks. Fred stacking shelves in the supermarket is paid according to his ability and almost certainly, anybody could do that job. The pyramid gets narrower the nearer one gets to the pinnacle and the smaller the pool of persons able to do the top job.

It's not jealousy, big salaries to the bosses in the private sector who set up and run their own businesses is great and an inspiration to us all - Branson, Sugar et all. 3K a week for managing a school, when no risk/gamble/financial input/special knowledge/skill (beyond what they learn at uni' and teacher training school) is unacceptable if only because where it will end? I look forward a dustman (no offence to dustmen, just an example) being paid similar amounts for emptying every bin on their round. Why not, it's only public money after all.

Make all the money you can, not take all the money you can, that's the difference.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Jul 23 2010, 08:31 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

My own opinion is that all the children he's potential saved, who otherwise may well not become decent adults, by turning the results around and changing the school to a vastly improved and respectable status makes his salary pretty insignificant in my eyes in the grand scheme of things.

I'm sure parents an pupils alike who have benefited would agree also, as did the parents of Mark Elms pupils when interviewed recently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jul 23 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Jul 23 2010, 08:00 AM) *
It's not jealousy, big salaries to the bosses in the private sector who set up and run their own businesses is great and an inspiration to us all - Branson, Sugar et all. 3K a week for managing a school, when no risk/gamble/financial input/special knowledge/skill (beyond what they learn at uni' and teacher training school) is unacceptable if only because where it will end? I look forward a dustman (no offence to dustmen, just an example) being paid similar amounts for emptying every bin on their round. Why not, it's only public money after all.

Make all the money you can, not take all the money you can, that's the difference.

You mention inspiration. A good Teacher will inspire the kids they teach, no amount of money can buy that. You then talk about Dustmen ( an example I know but not the right one), well why not mention Nurses and the amount of money they get paid. What about Soldiers on the frontline, for these guys there is huge risk, not with money but their lives.

I agree Branson, Sugar etc... are an inspiration to someone who wants to make lots of money but that's it.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 23 2010, 09:49 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Andy1 @ Jul 23 2010, 10:26 AM) *
I agree Branson, Sugar etc... are an inspiration to someone who wants to make lots of money but that's it.

It's a bit more than that - Branson and Sugar, especially Branson, have built businesses that employ thousands and create prosperity - without people doing this there will be no money to pay teachers, nurses, etc. Sure the incentive might be to become rich, but an awful lot of people can benefit from one man's greed and ambition.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 23 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

well why not mention Nurses and the amount of money they get paid. What about Soldiers on the frontline, for these guys there is huge risk, not with money but their lives.

Totally agree with this. The country has got it the wrong way round. Kick a football (badly) and get paid thousands a week. Risk your life/save lifes, work long hours and you get paid pennies. These are the people who deserve to be paid the big money.

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Jul 23 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 23 2010, 10:49 AM) *
It's a bit more than that - Branson and Sugar, especially Branson, have built businesses that employ thousands and create prosperity - without people doing this there will be no money to pay teachers, nurses, etc. Sure the incentive might be to become rich, but an awful lot of people can benefit from one man's greed and ambition.

I agree with what you say but as far as inspiration goes I wouldn't look at Branson and Sugar and say to myself I want to employee thousands of people. It also only takes the greed and ambition of one man to reck an awful lot of peoples lives

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:47 PM