Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sandleford
Simon Kirby
post May 20 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

The Newbury News reports that the Lib Dems have made some constructive proposals to improve the quality of the Sandleford development - anyone have a link to those proposals?

I think this is a good thing. I've lamented the lack of an effective opposition at WBC to see that the Tories deliver on their promises, and this sounds like the Lib Dems might actually have decided to stop the politicking and do the job they were elected to do. I'd like to see what they've said, but I'm hopeful.

The road access looked poor and the NWN reports they're asking for better, so that's good. However, it doesn't sound like they're asking for a south junction on the Andover Road and I think that's a shame.

It's the Country Park I'm most interested in so I hope there's something specific about that. 100 acres of undeveloped farmland is not a Country Park, so we need to know what we're going to get, and how we're going to get it, but most importantly we need to know how we're going to pay for its development and upkeep.

I'm guessing it'll cost in the region of £3M to develop the Park, and something like £100k annually to maintain it, so I think I'd be asking for that £3M as a Section 106 contribution. Raising £100k from a WBC population of 100,000 isn't a great strain on the tax-payer, and I think it would be a reasonable thing to raise tax for, but there's no guaranteeing that WBC will continue to fund it, and when you think that by under-funding the maintenance of the Park they can undermine its success and engineer a case to build on it, then I really can't see how WBC can be trusted with it. I would like to see some definite plans for how its future can be guaranteed.

I'd also like to see how the locals are to be involved in the Park - I think a management trust would be good, and if it wasn't populated with the same old establishment faces that would be refreshing too.

I'd also like to see definite plans for an allotment site: 6-10 acres would be good. To my knowledge there's no one at WBC who understands allotments so this important piece of urban design may be overlooked. There needs to be specific proposal for who's going to manage it, and a charitable trust would be my first choice.

One of the tantalising suggestions the LIB Dems are reported to have made is a parish boundary review with the possibility of Sandleford getting its own parish council. If that's a possibility then it would make some seriously good sense for everything south of Essex Street to secede from Newbury parish and become part of Sandleford - now wouldn't that be fantastic!

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 20 2013, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 20 2013, 09:04 PM) *
One of the tantalising suggestions the LIB Dems are reported to have made is a parish boundary review with the possibility of Sandleford getting its own parish council. If that's a possibility then it would make some seriously good sense for everything north of Essex Street to secede from Newbury parish and become part of Sandleford - now wouldn't that be fantastic!

You mean Wash Common to become 'Newbury'? Radical!!!

I am not against the development, but I do think there should be new road links to the A339 near The Swan RAB, and to the A343 near the county boundary.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 20 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 20 2013, 09:29 PM) *
You mean Wash Common to become 'Newbury'? Radical!!!

Ah, good spot - I meant to say south of Essex Street.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 20 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 20 2013, 09:29 PM) *
I am not against the development, but I do think there should be new road links to the A339 near The Swan RAB, and to the A343 near the county boundary.

Yes to all that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 21 2013, 12:24 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I've only seen what is on NewburyToday, but the LibDem proposals look reasonable in overview. I certainly like their acceptance of the need to procure more land to provide better access - which must mean a link to the A343 as access to Monks Lane and the A339 are both possible through the existing development landholding.

As for management of the country park - WBC are in the process of contracting out management of their similar sites to BBOWT - which would be an option. But I'm more worried about ownership of it - if the current owners hang on to it then odds on they will seek to develop it at a later date.

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jun 19 2013, 08:02 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,636

Any news on this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jul 13 2014, 09:57 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jun 19 2013, 09:02 AM) *
Any news on this?

Still no news ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Jul 13 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jul 13 2014, 10:57 AM) *
Still no news ???

Haven't checked the Sandleford proposals but the draft DPD ( West Berkshire Council's preferred sites for development) is up for Council approval to put out to consultation at next week's Council meeting- Agenda item 10

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/ieL...16&MId=2786

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jul 13 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jul 13 2014, 10:57 AM) *
Still no news ???

Well the council have wasted £90k in trying to get the people in South Newbury to reduce their use of cars. Apparently there is a traffic problem. Of course when it comes to building new homes that traffic problem is not that important or has gone away!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 13 2014, 10:27 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Yes, we have a pollution problem, but Sandleford won't make things worse! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Jul 13 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 20 2013, 09:04 PM) *
It's the Country Park I'm most interested in so I hope there's something specific about that. 100 acres of undeveloped farmland is not a Country Park, so we need to know what we're going to get, and how we're going to get it, but most importantly we need to know how we're going to pay for its development and upkeep.

I'm guessing it'll cost in the region of £3M to develop the Park, and something like £100k annually to maintain it, so I think I'd be asking for that £3M as a Section 106 contribution. Raising £100k from a WBC population of 100,000 isn't a great strain on the tax-payer, and I think it would be a reasonable thing to raise tax for, but there's no guaranteeing thatk WBC will continue to fund it, and when you think that by under-funding the maintenance of the Park they can undermine its success and engineer a case to build on it, then I really can't see how WBC can be trusted with it. I would like to see some definite plans for how its future can be guaranteed.

S106 is (mostly) being replaced by the Community Infrastructure Levy from April 2015. In principle I think that this is a good thing as there should be more certainty and transparency regarding developer contributions, but West Berkshire Council don't agree. There is an agenda item on this at the Council meeting next week ( Tuesday 22nd July)

http://decisionmaking.westberks.gov.uk/doc...IL%20110714.pdf

However, where developments have been approved strategically with certain 'promises' like a country park attached to them, but maybe not yet tied up by a S106 agreement the changeover certainly seems unfair. Hopefully the Councillors for Sandleford are on top of the situation.....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 13 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

The lack of any visible plans for the Sandleford site as for some time been rumoured to be related to the introduction of the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) - which it is suggested will cost developers about 30% less than the current S106 system.

Looking at the overview of the CIL is doesn't obviously show a cheaper system for developers. Local planning authorities will be able to set the levy for their area - so WBC could, simplistically, set a levy that would deliver much the same returns as S106. No doubt there is something hidden in the details that give rise to the idea that it will be cheaper.

Perhaps most worrying for Simon is that a significant chunk of the CIL will go to the parish in which the development is being built. This is set at 10% but goes up to 25% for parishes with a local development plan. WBC is worried about the change from S106 - is this because the CIL will raise less cash or because they will have to pass some on to the parishes?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 13 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 13 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Perhaps most worrying for Simon is that a significant chunk of the CIL will go to the parish in which the development is being built. This is set at 10% but goes up to 25% for parishes with a local development plan. WBC is worried about the change from S106 - is this because the CIL will raise less cash or because they will have to pass some on to the parishes?

My general concern is with Newbury Town Council rather than parish councils generally and as my views on this organisation's challenges and the steps necessary to meet them are already very well exercised I won't repeat them here. In this specific case that may well be something of a problem. I guestimate that the Country Park will need around £3M to construct and a further £100k annually in perpetuity to run, so that's something in the region of £5M up-front. Obviously that needs to come from the developer or else the "gift" of the country park isn't worth diddly. Sandleford is in Greenham parish, though I don't see GPC running the CP as it's so much bigger than everything else they're doing and it would completely overwhelm their ability to manage, rather like I fear the Control Tower will. However, GPC might yet be a good choice for custodian so I'm open-minded, but whoever it is that takes it on they absolutely need to nail the funding going forward with a cast-iron guarantee that the money is ring-fenced for the CP.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 13 2014, 05:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Interesting thought - Parish Councils being equipped to manage the income......

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 13 2014, 08:08 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 13 2014, 06:50 PM) *
Interesting thought - Parish Councils being equipped to manage the income......

I do wonder if they will simply pass the money back to WBC as a parish contribution to whatever infrastructure programme is undertaken.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 13 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Which is surely exactly opposite to the intention of the change?

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jul 13 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

My concern with S106 contributions is in some cases, the anonymous way the cash is collected and distributed. It looks to me as if some of the contributions become a very grey area after arriving in the WBC coffers. Libraries always seem to have their hands out and I can't believe all of it actually arrives there. The other area is that of 'Improvements to open spaces in Newbury'. Very all encompassing with not much of a positive direction as to what open spaces means. Education I can perhaps understand and Thames Valley Police are also making their case for increased contributions lately. They want a load of dosh for ANPR cameras and two bicycles on one current application.

I wonder if the alternative is any better. I seem to recall that there was some controversy over S106 payment for the Vodafone HQ being withheld and the council being embarrassed when it came to light. But, I do wonder about parish and town councils managing cash grants though. If the amount of bickering that tends to go on in the parishes is any yardstick to go by we are on a hiding to nothing.

Simon made a case for allotments. When the A339 was powered through then a large area of the route was allotment. Did that ever get replaced and if not, Sandleford might redeem that.

Oh, and Germany have just won the world cup.....

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 13 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jul 13 2014, 10:22 PM) *
Which is surely exactly opposite to the intention of the change?

To some extent yes - but not totally. If a parish is involved in funding local projects it would also, hopefully, give them more say in what the projects are and what they deliver.

+Quote Post
r.bartlett
post Jul 26 2014, 06:43 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I see there has been some updates but the west berks website was down when I looked...

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 26 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (r.bartlett @ Jul 26 2014, 07:43 AM) *
I see there has been some updates but the west berks website was down when I looked...

What updates, where?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:56 AM