IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thatcham "visual enhancement project" near Crown Mead...
Richard Garvie
post Jan 9 2011, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

Anyone else noticed the poor state that this area has become? I tried to walk on it and it was like wet sand, surely it was supposed to be solid by now? I think the council have a certain period of time to report problems with something like this, otherwise the liability to fix it will rest with the council. Has that period of time now expired?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
betsy
post Jan 9 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 568

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 9 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Anyone else noticed the poor state that this area has become? I tried to walk on it and it was like wet sand, surely it was supposed to be solid by now? I think the council have a certain period of time to report problems with something like this, otherwise the liability to fix it will rest with the council. Has that period of time now expired?

Yes it is an eyesore. What was wrong with it before? Lovely trees cut down in the name of progress! Who want's to sit next to all the fumes from the A4? Total waste of money.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 10 2011, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Looks terrible.... The ratio of 'Money Spent' to 'Improved Environment' is hopelessly out of synch. How much did this mess cost? (and one of the trees appears to already have gasped it's last breath....)

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 10 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 10 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Looks terrible.... The ratio of 'Money Spent' to 'Improved Environment' is hopelessly out of synch. How much did this mess cost? (and one of the trees appears to already have gasped it's last breath....)

The fact is, will West Berks now have to foot the bill, despite the area being messed up fro the word go? At no stage did the surface "set", and despite a number of concerns being raised by local residents, nothing has been done. I wonder how much it's going to cost to put right?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 11 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 10 2011, 11:53 PM) *
The fact is, will West Berks now have to foot the bill, despite the area being messed up fro the word go? At no stage did the surface "set", and despite a number of concerns being raised by local residents, nothing has been done. I wonder how much it's going to cost to put right?

Asking on here whether the project is being correctly managed is rather pointless. Well worth asking if others agree the area seems not to be as it should be, but the rest should all be directed to Thatcham Town Council/West Berkshire Council where the answers will be available.
If the project is not signed off and not in accordance with specification - as long as the contract is sound - then the contractor will be responsible for any work required. Depending on which Authority is running the project a simple enquiry of the Ward Member/responsible Officer should elicit the answers you seek.
Then, if there is an 'issue', there is a case to be made.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 11 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I think some of us would be surprised what gets done when it appears on here.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 11 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

It is a West Berkshire project and has been reported by numerous people, including local retailers. Let's see what happens, but there has been nothing done since the start of December, I guess it is on someones to do list?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 07:49 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Work is to be carried out to dig up and relay the surface, and West Berks appear to be paying for it!!!!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 19 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Or doing the work, then billing/withholding funds from the original contractors for the cost...

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 08:33 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Jan 19 2011, 08:00 AM) *
Or doing the work, then billing/withholding funds from the original contractors for the cost...

Don't the council have so many days to inspect what the contractor did, and then call them back onto site if they weren't happy? Seems like they missed the boat!!! I believe the official line will be that the council will try to claim compensation from the original contractor etc. but they have left it a bit late. For example, why now and not straight after the work was completed?

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Jan 19 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Who cares? It's in Thatcham biggrin.gif

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bofem @ Jan 19 2011, 12:49 PM) *
Who cares? It's in Thatcham biggrin.gif

That's the same attitude that the council have...

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 19 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 19 2011, 08:33 AM) *
Don't the council have so many days to inspect what the contractor did, and then call them back onto site if they weren't happy? Seems like they missed the boat!!! I believe the official line will be that the council will try to claim compensation from the original contractor etc. but they have left it a bit late. For example, why now and not straight after the work was completed?

Normal arrangements are the contractor seeking the work be signed off as complete, with a caveat for subsequent defects to be resolved (snagging). In the event of a dispute the Council would normally serve notice they will carry out the work and claim back. Hence the delay, but much less than had the Council simply insisted the work be done by the contractor. Highway works are 'guaranteed' for 2 years.

I still say a letter to the local Member will elicit answers as opposed to never ending rhetorical quastions.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 19 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Normal arrangements are the contractor seeking the work be signed off as complete, with a caveat for subsequent defects to be resolved (snagging). In the event of a dispute the Council would normally serve notice they will carry out the work and claim back. Hence the delay, but much less than had the Council simply insisted the work be done by the contractor. Highway works are 'guaranteed' for 2 years.

I still say a letter to the local Member will elicit answers as opposed to never ending rhetorical quastions.

I did speak with Mr Crumley, who was most helpfull. The problem is, the surface was soft when they took the fencing downlast year, and after a few months was in a bad state and numerous people have complained to the council since November. The fact is That it is now January, and the council are spending more money to have it redone. Did nobody inspect this work at the time? Nobody will give me atraight answer on it.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 19 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 19 2011, 04:21 PM) *
I did speak with Mr Crumley, who was most helpfull. The problem is, the surface was soft when they took the fencing downlast year, and after a few months was in a bad state and numerous people have complained to the council since November. The fact is That it is now January, and the council are spending more money to have it redone. Did nobody inspect this work at the time? Nobody will give me atraight answer on it.

Have you asked a straight question of an appropriate person?

"Who is paying for the work now being done to re-instate the VEP....?" No challenging language, no opportunities for a devious answer. Remember the replies are usually drafted by Officers...

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 19 2011, 04:30 PM) *
Have you asked a straight question of an appropriate person?

"Who is paying for the work now being done to re-instate the VEP....?" No challenging language, no opportunities for a devious answer. Remember the replies are usually drafted by Officers...

The council are paying.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 19 2011, 06:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Shouldn't this thread be on the Thatcham forum?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 19 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 19 2011, 06:35 PM) *
Shouldn't this thread be on the Thatcham forum?

The NWN is sold in Thatcham and this website has a Thatcham news section.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 19 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Darren @ Jan 19 2011, 08:00 AM) *

What, like with the library roof?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 19 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 19 2011, 07:12 PM) *
The NWN is sold in Thatcham and this website has a Thatcham news section.
This Website?

It's got Newbury News and Random Rants sections.

Nothing about Thatcham that I can see there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM