Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury roadworks strike again!
Andy Capp
post Mar 5 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I have read tales of woe on Facebook complaining of tailbacks in Newbury. Apparently Boundary Road and Chamberhouse Mill Lane (Thatcham rail crossing) are both closed. Oh dear.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 5 2014, 05:36 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Can't see what the problem is here. Our local council says these roads are not arterial so their closure makes no real difference to local traffic conditions. That must be true because they are the Council.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 5 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Yes usual lack of common sense!

All they needed was to get the utilities to do Thatcham a week later! I wonder if they have actually started on the Thatcham works or just closed the road - anyone know?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 5 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Wait till the new Sandleford and Racecourse site has 'rocked up' (or whatever the modern phrase the dudes say is)!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 5 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 5 2014, 05:51 PM) *
Yes usual lack of common sense!

All they needed was to get the utilities to do Thatcham a week later! I wonder if they have actually started on the Thatcham works or just closed the road - anyone know?

I've purposefully not gone down there but I'll try and make a detour tomorrow to find out.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 5 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 5 2014, 10:21 PM) *
I've purposefully not gone down there but I'll try and make a detour tomorrow to find out.

If they, WBC, believe that the two closures together haven't made a difference to Newbury traffic then I would suggest they get up a bit early and get out around the Shaw and London Road area before nine. Even the A339 through Newbury, the Andover Road and the town roads are badly congested.
Excellent lateral thinking to have two closures which have a positive impact on Newbury. The Thatcham closure means traffic which normally goes along Bury's Bank Road is now struggling down Greenham Road and because the Boundary Road bridge is closed having to detour even further along the A339 and the A4. and of course the traffic which crossed the railway at Boundary road is competing for the same routes.

The Boundary Road bridge is only closed because they are test boring the bank structure to see what they need when eventually they do replace the bridge. Somehow I doubt the racecourse development bridge will be in place before the next bridge closure takes place when they put in the new bridge which of course WBC will have no say over as it is to be a Railtrack design..

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 5 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 5 2014, 10:41 PM) *
...... WBC will have no say over as it is to be a Railtrack design..

That's one bit if good news. WBC don't do bridges anyway, look at the mess they made of Blackboys, now just a giant speed hump!

Probably the real reason why Thatcham still has a level crossing.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Mar 6 2014, 12:00 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 5 2014, 10:57 PM) *
That's one bit if good news. WBC don't do bridges anyway, look at the mess they made of Blackboys, now just a giant speed hump!

In fairness the extra height is not WBC's doing but Network Rails predecessor Railtrack. All new bridges are built to enable taller trains to a standard EU size/gauge.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 6 2014, 08:39 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Mar 6 2014, 02:00 AM) *
In fairness the extra height is not WBC's doing but Network Rails predecessor Railtrack. All new bridges are built to enable taller trains to a standard EU size/gauge.

Sorry to correct you MP but the main reason for all new rail overbridges to be increased height is to cater for any future potential electrification. Having said that you are correct that some have been done on major freight container routes to cater for the standard EU container sizes.
In the case of BB Bridge this proved to be wise as, had it been rebuilt to original height, it would now have to be raised!

Not sure of what you mean by "look at the mess they made of Blackboys" OTE, how would you have done it differently?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 6 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 6 2014, 08:39 AM) *
Sorry to correct you MP but the main reason for all new rail overbridges to be increased height is to cater for any future potential electrification.
In the case of BB Bridge this proved to be wise as, if it had been rebuilt to original height, it would now have to be raised!

Not sure of what you mean by "look at the mess they made of Blackboys" OTE, how would you have done it differently?

The reported hight issues and design difficulties were mainly laid at the door of BT refusing to permit any alteration to their cable ducts. To my mind, WBC should have sorted BT. The state of our roads in many cases is down to unconstrained utility attention. It may well have cost more, but there was no reason why the track could not have been lowered the few inches needed - after all if rail height was an issue, then it was not unreasonable for this to be a rail track expense. No handrails were fitted to the bridge when it opened, apparently to prevent suicide attempts! However, that overlooked the needs of elderly and disabled people who found it exceedingly difficult to walk along the footpath. all adds up to a non design, no thought, no attention to detail. WBC don't do bridges - simple as that.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 6 2014, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 6 2014, 11:33 AM) *
The reported hight issues and design difficulties were mainly laid at the door of BT refusing to permit any alteration to their cable ducts. To my mind, WBC should have sorted BT. The state of our roads in many cases is down to unconstrained utility attention. It may well have cost more, but there was no reason why the track could not have been lowered the few inches needed - after all if rail height was an issue, then it was not unreasonable for this to be a rail track expense. No handrails were fitted to the bridge when it opened, apparently to prevent suicide attempts! However, that overlooked the needs of elderly and disabled people who found it exceedingly difficult to walk along the footpath. all adds up to a non design, no thought, no attention to detail. WBC don't do bridges - simple as that.

Fair enough and good points.
If you look you will see that the bridge was raised by almost a foot. Quite a lot to lower the track by that much.
I believe the bridge was replaced because it was suffering from corrosion and general deterioration. Who should foot the bill in such a case and who did?
If it had been left until now then it would have been Network Rail as it would have needed raising for electrification.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 6 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

The traffic on the A339 at the Burger King roundabout was solid at around 12 today, with traffic coming down the hill as though the bypass was closed. Surely a road closure in Thatcham wouldn't cause this so far over? There were diversion signs in place on the road though. And whenever I've used Boundary Road in the past, there hasn't been too much traffic on it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 6 2014, 02:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

The Thatcham road has a quite heavy traffic flow, constant throughout the day. Fed by the commercial activity around Thatcham Station. So, if I'm a commercial traveller, or a lorry driver and want to get to Basingstoke / M3 or A34 South, best route is that road. Issue is part of the road is in Hampshire and Councils don't talk....!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 6 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 6 2014, 02:53 PM) *
So, if I'm a ...a lorry driver and want to get to Basingstoke / M3 or A34 South, best route is that road.

I'd hope not.... there's a 7.5t weight limit on it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 6 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 6 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Splitting hairs, lorries come in many different sizes.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2014, 08:20 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 6 2014, 06:10 PM) *

Yes and seven and half tonners and vans use use it.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 6 2014, 11:03 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I had a quick look and I couldn't see any major works at Thatcham crossing from the Swan Roundabout.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 6 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Mar 6 2014, 11:03 PM) *
I had a quick look and I couldn't see any major works at Thatcham crossing from the Swan Roundabout.

The works are on the other side mush! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Mar 8 2014, 11:22 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Yeah but my car is low and I don't like the bumpy road the other way.
I will have a look.

The traffic in Newbury the last few days has been TERRIBLE.
Even on a mid afternoon..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Mar 10 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 6 2014, 09:49 AM) *
Quite a lot to lower the track by that much.

Seem to have managed at Dawlish biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:26 PM