Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Life is so much harder now
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

According to an article on the NewburyToday web site parents are struggling with supermarket trolley’s (i.e. no double seated ones). Amazing how we ever managed – before the supermarket trolley was invented over 2,000 years ago – to do our shopping and struggling with kids at the same time. Back when we had no supermarket trolley’s life must have been unbearable; suicide rates going up, people jumping of building because they couldn't cope; life stood still back then.

It feels like we've entered the Twilight zone. unsure.gif

Has society’s evolution created a new brand of mother (in some cases father) who just can’t cope with modern life that they need a special brand of trolley to help them get through the day? God help us! blink.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10655

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Jul 30 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 30 2009, 12:19 PM) *
According to an article on the NewburyToday web site parents are struggling with supermarket trolley’s (i.e. no double seated ones). Amazing how we ever managed – before the supermarket trolley was invented over 2,000 years ago – to do our shopping and struggling with kids at the same time. Back when we had no supermarket trolley’s life must have been unbearable; suicide rates going up, people jumping of building because they couldn't cope; life stood still back then.

It feels like we've entered the Twilight zone. unsure.gif

Has society’s evolution created a new brand of mother (in some cases father) who just can’t cope with modern life that they need a special brand of trolley to help them get through the day? God help us! blink.gif

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=10655

It's called progress mate. We have become accustomed to having all of our inconveniences sorted out for us to the point where we find it difficult to cope if something we are used to using is taken away.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jul 30 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Tragic indeed, GMR, the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it - or is it just a quiet week for news?

+Quote Post
Simon
post Jul 30 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

If it was two parents with 2 children, couldnt they have simply used two trolleys and had a child in each?

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jul 30 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Simon @ Jul 30 2009, 12:59 PM) *
If it was two parents with 2 children, couldnt they have simply used two trolleys and had a child in each?

Shhh. That would involve common sense. Better still, leave the kids in the car. Crack the window's and they'll be fine. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
onegoodturn
post Jul 30 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 242

I do think you are being a little unfair.

The way people shop has changed dramatically over more recent years, and due to a number of factors - particularly both parents often having to work for financial reasons - shopping does not take place on a daily basis in the high street as it used to. A pram / pushchair used to be fine for daily shopping - goods under the pushchair or bags over the handles and away.

Now that shopping is more often done weekly at the supermarket, you have no choice but to use a trolley. Add into the mix a baby and a toddler, and it would be impossible to do a weekly shop without trolleys that have some sort of adaptations for storing children as well as shopping!

I consider myself to have common sense and a practical approach, but before my children were able to walk round with me to help with the shopping, I would not have been able to do a weekly shop without one of these trolleys.

Mind you, I wouldn't have gone to the local paper if a trolley wasn't available!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 30 2009, 12:44 PM) *
It's called progress mate. We have become accustomed to having all of our inconveniences sorted out for us to the point where we find it difficult to cope if something we are used to using is taken away.

That's a good way of putting it. I was going to phrase my response in a much less diplomatic way!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

(Going off at a slight tangent)
I was getting peed off with my kids the other week as they'd have a drink of squash, then put the tumbler in the dishwasher... another drink of squash - another tumbler and into the dishwasher... throughout the day this happened. By the end of the day the dishwasher was loaded with tumblers that had just been used once.

Nasty dad puts his foot down with eldest teenager and gets her to unload said dishwasher and wash the tumblers in the sink with some soapy water while the greasy plates and other stuff from tea can be done in the dishwasher. My daughter looked at me, slack jawed and eyes popping out for about five minutes thinking I was winding her up.... "Wot! Clean stuff in the sink!! You kiddin'? We gotta machine!!" A REAL 'Kevin' moment... laugh.gif

I was SO tempted to start up a dishwashing and drying rota like I used to have 'when I were a lad' just for the comedy effect.. laugh.gif

You're right ...life is SO much harder these days innit?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Jul 30 2009, 12:44 PM) *

True. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 06:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Jul 30 2009, 12:46 PM) *
Tragic indeed, GMR, the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it - or is it just a quiet week for news?

A bit of both I would say wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 30 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

BTW - apologies to regor and Iommi for going off topic

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 30 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 30 2009, 07:54 PM) *
BTW - apologies to regor and Iommi for going off topic

It's alright, just don't do it again! angry.gif BTW - I didn't think it was off topic! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jul 30 2009, 07:59 PM) *
It's alright, just don't do it again! angry.gif BTW - I didn't think it was off topic! unsure.gif

Nor did I tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 30 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 30 2009, 07:42 PM) *
(Going off at a slight tangent)
I was getting peed off with my kids the other week as they'd have a drink of squash, then put the tumbler in the dishwasher... another drink of squash - another tumbler and into the dishwasher... throughout the day this happened. By the end of the day the dishwasher was loaded with tumblers that had just been used once.

Nasty dad puts his foot down with eldest teenager and gets her to unload said dishwasher and wash the tumblers in the sink with some soapy water while the greasy plates and other stuff from tea can be done in the dishwasher. My daughter looked at me, slack jawed and eyes popping out for about five minutes thinking I was winding her up.... "Wot! Clean stuff in the sink!! You kiddin'? We gotta machine!!" A REAL 'Kevin' moment... laugh.gif

I was SO tempted to start up a dishwashing and drying rota like I used to have 'when I were a lad' just for the comedy effect.. laugh.gif

You're right ...life is SO much harder these days innit?

I loved this post. I can't wait to have kids tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 30 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 08:09 PM) *

How long do you think you will have to wait for that to happen? laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 31 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (onegoodturn @ Jul 30 2009, 03:55 PM) *
I do think you are being a little unfair.

The way people shop has changed dramatically over more recent years, and due to a number of factors - particularly both parents often having to work for financial reasons - shopping does not take place on a daily basis in the high street as it used to. A pram / pushchair used to be fine for daily shopping - goods under the pushchair or bags over the handles and away.

Now that shopping is more often done weekly at the supermarket, you have no choice but to use a trolley. Add into the mix a baby and a toddler, and it would be impossible to do a weekly shop without trolleys that have some sort of adaptations for storing children as well as shopping!

I consider myself to have common sense and a practical approach, but before my children were able to walk round with me to help with the shopping, I would not have been able to do a weekly shop without one of these trolleys.

Mind you, I wouldn't have gone to the local paper if a trolley wasn't available!

Two parents - one stays at home with the kids the other goes shopping. Why exacerbate the problem by all going?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 31 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jul 31 2009, 10:58 AM) *
Two parents - one stays at home with the kids the other goes shopping. Why exacerbate the problem by all going?

It is usually the wife that does the shopping and if she can't drive then the husband has to take her and also the kids. Maybe the husband should have made sure - before he married her - that she could drive so that he could stay at home and look after the the kids. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Aug 2 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 30 2009, 08:09 PM) *

You can have mine.
Delivered or collect in person.
I will have them back when they have made enough money to pay for my rest home

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:57 AM