IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Track and Trace, Government IT fails again!
Mr Brown
post Sep 25 2020, 06:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,072

Does any Government sponsored IT development ever work properly? It seems that the much delayed App doesn’t work on older (in some cases by 18 months) ‘Smart’ phones. Still, it’s only little people disadvantaged by this. Government for the few takes off!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 25 2020, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Sep 25 2020, 07:54 AM) *
Does any Government sponsored IT development ever work properly? It seems that the much delayed App doesn’t work on older (in some cases by 18 months) ‘Smart’ phones. Still, it’s only little people disadvantaged by this. Government for the few takes off!

Works for me. Get an upgrade.😂

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 25 2020, 09:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 25 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Does it work on my landline? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 25 2020, 10:22 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

"What should I do if I get a notification saying that I’ve been in ‘close contact’ with someone who has coronavirus (COVID-19), but I do not believe I have?
The app will send you a notification if it calculates that you have been in ‘close contact’ with someone who then tests positive for coronavirus. The alert will not identify the individual in any way. A scientific calculation, using an “algorithm”, has been developed by NHS doctors and scientists to work out which app users are ‘close contacts’.

‘Close contact’ generally means you have been within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes or more. Read more about how the risk scoring algorithm works.

If you have questions about how the advice applies to you, or are struggling with self-isolation, please call 111."

We're expected to trust a government algorithm? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Sep 25 2020, 10:28 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 25 2020, 09:12 AM) *

That’s just the point - you can’t, new handset needed. I appreciate no one here is poor or disadvantaged and only the green nutters don’t like dumping what is really perfectly serviceable stuff. So, if you are at the wrong end of the economy and worry where the next few hours work is coming from. If you are getting behind with the rent because your ‘self employed decorating work’ isn’t picking up. If you’ve let your old mum have your old iPhone believing the track and trace app pre publicity would help then you might just have a different opinion! I’d also hazard a guess and say the cynics in our society might even be suggesting that this is an Apple marketing ploy. Anyway, glad you are alright Jack.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 25 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 25 2020, 11:22 AM) *
"What should I do if I get a notification saying that I’ve been in ‘close contact’ with someone who has coronavirus (COVID-19), but I do not believe I have?
The app will send you a notification if it calculates that you have been in ‘close contact’ with someone who then tests positive for coronavirus. The alert will not identify the individual in any way. A scientific calculation, using an “algorithm”, has been developed by NHS doctors and scientists to work out which app users are ‘close contacts’.

‘Close contact’ generally means you have been within 2 metres of someone for 15 minutes or more. Read more about how the risk scoring algorithm works.

If you have questions about how the advice applies to you, or are struggling with self-isolation, please call 111."

We're expected to trust a government algorithm? laugh.gif

A common sense approach to the issue has been overwritten by those who believe that modern technology is the answer to EVERYTHING let alone this little exercise. Little doubt in some sectors of society this can be a useful tool, but as the case with any implement, it is only as good as it's weakest part. And as far as I can ascertain it has completely overlooked that section that are the most vulnerable; the elderly. There are countless thousands of pensioners who do not own a mobile phone, let alone a "smart" one and have no wish too, assuming they could afford one. As happened at the start of this pandemic they have once again been thrown "under the bus" when it comes to protecting them. The rise in infection may now be with the younger demographic but it is still the elderly that are succumbing.
But of course they are the right wing, brexit loving, white supremacy bigots that society could well do without. angry.gif angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 25 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 25 2020, 12:26 PM) *
A common sense approach to the issue has been overwritten by those who believe that modern technology is the answer to EVERYTHING let alone this little exercise. Little doubt in some sectors of society this can be a useful tool, but as the case with any implement, it is only as good as it's weakest part. And as far as I can ascertain it has completely overlooked that section that are the most vulnerable; the elderly. There are countless thousands of pensioners who do not own a mobile phone, let alone a "smart" one and have no wish too, assuming they could afford one. As happened at the start of this pandemic they have once again been thrown "under the bus" when it comes to protecting them. The rise in infection may now be with the younger demographic but it is still the elderly that are succumbing.
But of course they are the right wing, brexit loving, white supremacy bigots that society could well do without. angry.gif angry.gif

It's just Logans Run by Stealth. Get on the Carousel, Sir Will. Greenest thing to do would be to kill 5 or 6 billion. 👍

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Sep 25 2020, 12:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 25 2020, 12:26 PM) *

Quite the best response I’ve ever seen on here, seriously!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 25 2020, 04:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ Sep 25 2020, 01:30 PM) *
Quite the best response I’ve ever seen on here, seriously!

The remainers will be happy and Greta!

+Quote Post
user23
post Sep 26 2020, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

What should they be using instead?

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 26 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 26 2020, 11:04 AM) *

One is inclined to answer "common sense" coupled with "taking responsibility for your lifestyle". But we all know that not only by-passes HMG directives but also adds ammunition to the doom and gloom mongers who are quite happy for us to bankrupt the country as long as they don't have to meet the cost.
No one should have been under any illusion that this virus was going to return to it's home town anytime soon, so on that premise it is logical that everyone is going to come in contact with it over the next 6 to 12 months. Herd immunity is the only way forward for those who are reasonably healthy, but they need to be aware that the vulnerable must be protected and this is where common sense applies.
By taking responsibility for our lifestyle should, in theory, remove the obese, unfit and generally unhealthy element that are are at present being subsidised by the elderly, the long term sick and those with disabilities.
None of the above is being helped by a testing system that is being used as a prognosis indicator as opposed to diagnostic one. It only needs one person in the testing queue to be a carrier in order to infect everyone else. This is common sense and I am at a complete loss to understand why the scientific brigade are condoning such action when a much more sensible approach would be via home testing kits that are only used when there are obvious indicators.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 26 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 26 2020, 11:04 AM) *

One is inclined to answer "common sense" coupled with "taking responsibility for your lifestyle". But we all know that not only by-passes HMG directives but also adds ammunition to the doom and gloom mongers who are quite happy for us to bankrupt the country as long as they don't have to meet the cost.
No one should have been under any illusion that this virus was going to return to it's home town anytime soon, so on that premise it is logical that everyone is going to come in contact with it over the next 6 to 12 months. Herd immunity is the only way forward for those who are reasonably healthy, but they need to be aware that the vulnerable must be protected and this is where common sense applies.
By taking responsibility for our lifestyle should, in theory, remove the obese, unfit and generally unhealthy element that are are at present being subsidised by the elderly, the long term sick and those with disabilities.
None of the above is being helped by a testing system that is being used as a prognosis indicator as opposed to diagnostic one. It only needs one person in the testing queue to be a carrier in order to infect everyone else. This is common sense and I am at a complete loss to understand why the scientific brigade are condoning such action when a much more sensible approach would be via home testing kits that are only used when there are obvious indicators.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 29 2020, 01:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

This article has some interesting facts for those who think the end is nigh.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/how-...19-coronavirus/

For those who can't read, the global deaths form corona virus are on a par with suicide, yet very little is done to prevent such tragedies.

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 29 2020, 01:28 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 29 2020, 02:03 PM) *
This article has some interesting facts for those who think the end is nigh.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/how-...19-coronavirus/

For those who can't read, the global deaths form corona virus are on a par with suicide, yet very little is done to prevent such tragedies.

Covid 19 is being kept in check by social distancing measures. Cases were doubling every 2/3 days in March. Think what the cases and deaths would be without those measures.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 29 2020, 05:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 29 2020, 02:28 PM) *
Covid 19 is being kept in check by social distancing measures. Cases were doubling every 2/3 days in March. Think what the cases and deaths would be without those measures.

Or one could equally argue that the infection rate would have been the same had we done nothing. Without a viable control model we are reliant on a speculative assessment. Any virus is completely unpredictable in it's "life cycle" owing to it's ability to mutate at whim, which is one of the reasons it is so difficult to produce a viable vaccine. The important figure is the fatality rate per 100 infected cases and that is below 1%. Highly distressing for those involved but is it really worth the hysteria when placed alongside other terminal conditions? I agree social distancing is beneficial, but surely it doesn't take a master's degree to work that one out?
Smoking kills, yet they still sell cigarettes, even though their use is a personal choice, so why haven't they banned them completely, or at least legislated against their use in public?

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 30 2020, 11:46 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 29 2020, 06:34 PM) *
Or one could equally argue that the infection rate would have been the same had we done nothing. Without a viable control model we are reliant on a speculative assessment. Any virus is completely unpredictable in it's "life cycle" owing to it's ability to mutate at whim, which is one of the reasons it is so difficult to produce a viable vaccine. The important figure is the fatality rate per 100 infected cases and that is below 1%. Highly distressing for those involved but is it really worth the hysteria when placed alongside other terminal conditions? I agree social distancing is beneficial, but surely it doesn't take a master's degree to work that one out?
Smoking kills, yet they still sell cigarettes, even though their use is a personal choice, so why haven't they banned them completely, or at least legislated against their use in public?

Hard to argue with some of your points but it's hard to think it wasn't the total lockdown that all but eradicated infections.

You say social distancing is obvious, but it isn't to most. Especially when drinking. We had a spike after VE Day in some areas. Around 50% of people I pass make to effort to keep 2 metres. If they aren't told what to do, they're too stupid to do the right thing.

On a slightly different subject. I had a chuckle on Facebook the other day when somebody blamed the "educated middle class" for panic buying.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 30 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Sep 30 2020, 12:46 PM) *
Hard to argue with some of your points but it's hard to think it wasn't the total lockdown that all but eradicated infections.

You say social distancing is obvious, but it isn't to most. Especially when drinking. We had a spike after VE Day in some areas. Around 50% of people I pass make to effort to keep 2 metres. If they aren't told what to do, they're too stupid to do the right thing.

On a slightly different subject. I had a chuckle on Facebook the other day when somebody blamed the "educated middle class" for panic buying.

I saw something the other day regarding a resurgence of stockpiling, though not sure if it was specific to an area. This could well be exacerbated due to a bad harvest this year which in turn will push the price of wheat up. If there is a run on flour by the "new cooks" that seem to be flourishing we may be in for a dodgy time, but it would only be short term.
Return of the Corn Laws anyone? tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
newres
post Sep 30 2020, 02:21 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Sep 30 2020, 02:35 PM) *
I saw something the other day regarding a resurgence of stockpiling, though not sure if it was specific to an area. This could well be exacerbated due to a bad harvest this year which in turn will push the price of wheat up. If there is a run on flour by the "new cooks" that seem to be flourishing we may be in for a dodgy time, but it would only be short term.
Return of the Corn Laws anyone? tongue.gif tongue.gif

Tell you what, if a no deal Brexit looks likely, I will stockpile a few bits. Probably only of limited use as the main shortages food wise will be fresh goods, but I'll make sure we've got pasta and rice in abundance well before December if there's no deal by mid October.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Sep 30 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Buy a cow....and a chainsaw.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Sep 30 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Sep 30 2020, 08:31 PM) *
Buy a cow....and a chainsaw.

Pig is a preferred option. Quite handy as a consumer of all the corona related fatalities that we are about to experience and bacon sandwiches is one luxury that would be hard to forsake.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 AM