> Remain rally to march through Newbury
On the edge
post Jul 5 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 5 2016, 07:26 AM) *
We're a parliamentary democracy. We elect people to make big decisions for us because we don't have the time or the education to make properly informed decisions ourselves.

That then begs the next question, do we have the time and education to work out who is best placed to represent us? If we don't, then we are in very big trouble.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jul 5 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 5 2016, 10:34 AM) *
That then begs the next question, do we have the time and education to work out who is best placed to represent us? If we don't, then we are in very big trouble.

Obviously, with the standard practices of our two Local Authorities and now the standard of our national MP's, the majority does not have the time or the education to select the best to represent us! rolleyes.gif

I think it's a fallacy to call it Democracy! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 5 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 4 2016, 02:39 PM) *
'Progressive' West Berks voted to Remain, but Exit won the day; however, that won't stop the protests against the xenophobes and racists! LOL

They are entitled to peaceful protest like anybody else

Hope it rains rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 5 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 5 2016, 12:02 PM) *
They are entitled to peaceful protest like anybody else

Hope it rains rolleyes.gif

I'm hoping for a plague of locusts. Would be rather apt.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 5 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QED!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 5 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

It's not an issue of time or education - it comes down the knowledge and wisdom. You don't need a degree to be wise and the wisest most highly educated person cannot make sound decisions without a knowledge of the facts associated with the issue.

We all develop views based on sketchy facts hidden within reams of rumour and opinion - it's no wonder that we don't find it difficult to find someone to disagree with!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 5 2016, 05:09 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 5 2016, 05:30 PM) *
It's not an issue of time or education - it comes down the knowledge and wisdom. You don't need a degree to be wise and the wisest most highly educated person cannot make sound decisions without a knowledge of the facts associated with the issue.

We all develop views based on sketchy facts hidden within reams of rumour and opinion - it's no wonder that we don't find it difficult to find someone to disagree with!

To an extent, I'd agree. It would also be nice to have some facts; rather than lists of unsubstantiated data. Modern proverbs; In the Country of the blind, the one eye'd man is regarded as a wretched nuisance'.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 5 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 5 2016, 06:09 PM) *
To an extent, I'd agree. It would also be nice to have some facts; rather than lists of unsubstantiated data. Modern proverbs; In the Country of the blind, the one eye'd man is regarded as a wretched nuisance'.

It also takes time to form opinions and have life experience. I would have been naive at 16 and would have easily been coerced by peer pressure to vote a certain way. That's why I believe the voting age should not be lowered.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jul 5 2016, 10:08 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 5 2016, 09:01 PM) *
It also takes time to form opinions and have life experience. I would have been naive at 16 and would have easily been coerced by peer pressure to vote a certain way. That's why I believe the voting age should not be lowered.

Naivity doesn't disappear on your 18th birthday - this argument could be used for raising the voting age to 30, or 40.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2016, 04:53 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jul 5 2016, 11:08 PM) *
Naivity doesn't disappear on your 18th birthday - this argument could be used for raising the voting age to 30, or 40.

Very true. 16 million people were naive enough to vote remain. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
newres
post Jul 6 2016, 05:31 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 6 2016, 05:53 AM) *
Very true. 16 million people were naive enough to vote remain. laugh.gif

At what age does one become a little Englander?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 6 2016, 05:35 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

There used to be an advert in my youth for one of the biggest retailers in Country; 'Like Mrs Jones, you own your local Co-op' . Lets face it, our democracy, like Mrs Jones Co-op is dead; killed by the same people.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2016, 06:39 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jul 6 2016, 06:31 AM) *
At what age does one become a little Englander?

I'd guess If you were born in England the answer is 1 day old. laugh.gif All you have got is insults. Really hope you are marching on Saturday. You seem very annoyed about the outcome of a democratic vote. You have every right to protest about it.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 6 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 5 2016, 09:01 PM) *

If one is old enough to leave school, leave home and start a family, then they're old enough to vote. After all, these people will be voting for the same things as more mature and open minded members of the parish.

However, the quality of voter and politician is a concern to me and I do question whether democracy is the best thing for the population, if not mankind.

For the good of everyone, I think our democracy needs looking at. I think MPs need to be legally bound to make true statements and answers to questions. We also have a problem with a perverted press, which doesn't help.

I voted Brexit, but I would have voted EU lite, had there been an option.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 6 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 6 2016, 09:15 AM) *
I voted Brexit, but I would have voted EU lite, had there been an option.

So would many as it is what we originally joined.... Brexit can be blamed fully on the fundamental misunderstanding of Brussels / Strasbourg of the anger of the "common" people of the erosion of democracy by an unelected EU elite. Cameron asked them for reform. They delivered very little.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jul 6 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 6 2016, 06:39 AM) *
I'd guess I'd you were born in England the answer is 1 day old. laugh.gif All you have got is insults. Really hope you are marching on Saturday. You seem very annoyed about the outcome of a democratic vote. You have every right to protest about it.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 6 2016, 09:52 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 6 2016, 09:52 AM) *
So would many as it is what we originally joined.... Brexit can be blamed fully on the fundamental misunderstanding of Brussels / Strasbourg of the anger of the "common" people of the erosion of democracy by an unelected EU elite. Cameron asked them for reform. They delivered very little.

I'd argue the root of the problem goes back to the arrogant inadequates that 'lead' us in to Europe in the first place. The EU's founding fathers had made no secret of their end game; a full federation. However, Ted Heath and the likes of Kenneth Clarke chose to hide this during their original promotion. Like most other things that dreadful government did; wrong solution.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 6 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 6 2016, 10:52 AM) *
However, Ted Heath and the likes of Kenneth Clarke chose to hide this during their original promotion. Like most other things that dreadful government did; wrong solution.

As did Harold Wilson for the 1975 referendum

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:12 AM