Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Register of Member's Interests
Simon Kirby
post Jun 4 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

It's a requirement of serving on a parish or district council that councillors register certain interests for themselves and their partner (a requirement of sections 29 to 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and The Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012 I believe).

Here is a handy little page of links
for all of the parish registers in the WBC area.

One of the catagories for registration is "Any body one of whose principal purposes includes the influence of public opinion or policy (including any political party or trade union) of which you are a member"

So you can browse the registers and see who is declaring their membership of the Newbury Today forum. Except I can't see that anyone is.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 4 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

I'm seeing that quite a few councillors aren't actually members of the political parties that they're representing. Is that possible - do political parties allow you to stand for them if you're not a member of their party?

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 4 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I suppose it depends on the Party's own rule book. Don't think there is any legal restrictions; the law still thinks we vote for the individual and not the party.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 4 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 4 2013, 01:31 PM) *
It's a requirement of serving on a parish or district council that councillors register certain interests for themselves and their partner (a requirement of sections 29 to 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and The Relevant Authorities (Disclosable Pecuniary Interests) Regulations 2012 I believe).

Here is a handy little page of links
for all of the parish registers in the WBC area.

One of the catagories for registration is "Any body one of whose principal purposes includes the influence of public opinion or policy (including any political party or trade union) of which you are a member"

So you can browse the registers and see who is declaring their membership of the Newbury Today forum. Except I can't see that anyone is.
Is this forum a 'body'? Does it influence public opinion?

I'd say no on both counts.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 4 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 4 2013, 07:54 PM) *
Is this forum a 'body'? Does it influence public opinion?

I'd say no on both counts.

My view differs:

Is the forum a body? A "body" is any entity, it doesn't have to have a legal identity such as a body corporate, it's any entity that you can notionally be a member of. Perhaps if there was no registration process and anyone could post anonymous messages then such a board wouldn't be a "body" in the sense of the regulations, but with its membership requirement then the membership of the forum is just as tangible as say the west berkshire heritage forum, or a local residents association, or a church, or a patient participation group, or the round table, or an angling club, or indeed an allotment association - all of which have been registered.

Does it influence public opinion? The requirement for registration is that its principal purposes includes the influence of public opinion, and the forum clearly purposes to do that - that's explicitly why I'm here, as you very well know. Whether we achieve our purpose isn't at issue.

Giving the regulation a purposive construction, I'd say the intention was that parishoners could know what bodies the councillors were involved with and the kind of things the councillor might be saying there, and particularly the way the councillor might be trying to manipulate pubic opinion or policy through that body. For example, it could be a prejudicial interest if say a councillor who was a member of the forum was using her position as a councillor to suppress the contribution of other members on the same forum so as to give her miserably weak arguments an easier time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post Jun 4 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 4 2013, 09:47 PM) *
My view differs:

Is the forum a body? A "body" is any entity, it doesn't have to have a legal identity such as a body corporate, it's any entity that you can notionally be a member of. Perhaps if there was no registration process and anyone could post anonymous messages then such a board wouldn't be a "body" in the sense of the regulations, but with its membership requirement then the membership of the forum is just as tangible as say the west berkshire heritage forum, or a local residents association, or a church, or a patient participation group, or the round table, or an angling club, or indeed an allotment association - all of which have been registered.

Does it influence public opinion? The requirement for registration is that its principal purposes includes the influence of public opinion, and the forum clearly purposes to do that - that's explicitly why I'm here, as you very well know. Whether we achieve our purpose isn't at issue.
I don't think I've seen you admit you post on here to influence public opinion before.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 4 2013, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 4 2013, 09:57 PM) *
I don't think I've seen you admit you post on here to influence public opinion before.

You thought I was here just because I enjoyed your company? How touching.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 4 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Contributors may seek to influence opinion, but amongst a very small group of people. The forum is no more influential than the bunch at the pub deciding who should be in the next England team......

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 4 2013, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 4 2013, 10:23 PM) *
Contributors may seek to influence opinion, but amongst a very small group of people. The forum is no more influential than the bunch at the pub deciding who should be in the next England team......

Nail.
Head

Internet High-five.

This forum is basically a rich, deep, grassy tasting beer serving pub, whose patrons (if such a thing exists, outside of Sprite or Fanta I have no idea) who sit together arguing at the same three people, all of whom post up under psudo-IDs.

laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 4 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 4 2013, 10:23 PM) *

How influential is almost irrelevant, but I do know a number of people who read but don't take part. Where I would doubt Simon's idea, is that this forum isn't a collective body with a common mission. Having said that, perhaps there's a case that councillors should declare themselves if they use it for political messages.

The biggest shame is that councillors don't feel safe coming on here to 'put us right' where appropriate.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 4 2013, 10:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 4 2013, 11:02 PM) *
Nail.
Head

Internet High-five.

This forum is basically a rich, deep, grassy tasting beer (if such a thing exists, outside of Sprite or Fanta I have no idea) who sit together arguing at the same three people, all of whom post up under psudo-IDs.

laugh.gif

And people like you seem only interested in posting such messages these days.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 4 2013, 10:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jun 4 2013, 09:57 PM) *

What is your reason?

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 5 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 4 2013, 11:09 PM) *
And people like you seem only interested in posting such messages these days.

I have freedom to post what I like.
That's democracy for you.

Until such a discussion comes up where everyone can chip in, as opposed to the "few" (I can count on one hand), then what's there to really say.

Seen any straw men lately?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 5 2013, 08:03 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 4 2013, 01:31 PM) *

Which means that no local councillor is a member of this forum then.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 5 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 5 2013, 08:53 AM) *
I have freedom to post what I like. That's democracy for you.

I never said you don't. I'm just exercising my democratic right to give a point of view! wink.gif

Many of your posts lately are just to moan about the forum, I just find it odd that you would still be interested enough to comment on a forum you hold in such contempt.

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 5 2013, 08:53 AM) *
Until such a discussion comes up where everyone can chip in, as opposed to the "few" (I can count on one hand), then what's there to really say. Seen any straw men lately?

Not while you have been away. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 5 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 5 2013, 09:03 AM) *
Which means that no local councillor is a member of this forum then.

...or are not declaring that they are.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 5 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 5 2013, 10:18 AM) *
I never said you don't. I'm just exercising my democratic right to give a point of view! wink.gif

Many of your posts lately are just to moan about the forum, I just find it odd that you would still be interested enough to comment on a forum you hold in such contempt.

I get bored easily. I don't hold it in contempt, just some of the daft people who are on here.

Not while you have been away. tongue.gif

Touche!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gel
post Jun 5 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Register of Interests

I see only 2 Parishes, both starting with "P" are not conforming by providing Members list of 'financial interests'.

One has Chairman/Acting clerk who is PM's brother no less, and a Barrister, so should be on top of these legal niceities mellow.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 5 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 5 2013, 10:24 AM) *
...or are not declaring that they are.

why would they do that? makes absolutely no sense at all. It isn't as if this is the Hellfire Club.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 5 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 5 2013, 03:58 PM) *
why would they do that? makes absolutely no sense at all. It isn't as if this is the Hellfire Club.

You've never been to a Great Newt of Orme meet then? tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:27 PM