Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tim Farron
Turin Machine
post Jun 14 2017, 09:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

Well, he's gone. Hounded out of office by a baying media who are or at least seem to be, anti-Christian. A politician who has done more than almost any other to promote the rights of the lgtg lobby but made the mistake of being a Christian. I've said it before, if a candidate came forward from the Muslim community I wonder if the same fate would befall him?
Didn't agree with his take on Brexit or to be honest many of his proposals but I'd go for a pint with him anyway!

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Simon Kirby
post Jun 14 2017, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jun 14 2017, 10:53 PM) *
Well, he's gone. Hounded out of office by a baying media who are or at least seem to be, anti-Christian. A politician who has done more than almost any other to promote the rights of the lgtg lobby but made the mistake of being a Christian. I've said it before, if a candidate came forward from the Muslim community I wonder if the same fate would befall him?
Didn't agree with his take on Brexit or to be honest many of his proposals but I'd go for a pint with him anyway!

Farron wasn't "hounded out of office" for being a Christian, he stood down from leadership of his party because his prurient religious fundamentalism was so painfully incompatible with leadership of a party that positions itself as tolerant and liberal. It's a funny old thing, but Farron obsess over that verse in Matthew about marriage in the Old Testement tradition being between a man and a woman and he feels so very strongly about how other people should be living their lives in response to that passing comment by Christ, but he doesn't appear to have taken any personal responsibility and given all of his possessions away and that was the thrust of what Christ was saying.

Is that shirt polycotton?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 14 2017, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 14 2017, 11:35 PM) *
Farron wasn't "hounded out of office" for being a Christian, he stood down from leadership of his party because his prurient religious fundamentalism was so painfully incompatible with leadership of a party that positions itself as tolerant and liberal. It's a funny old thing, but Farron obsess over that verse in Matthew about marriage in the Old Testement tradition being between a man and a woman and he feels so very strongly about how other people should be living their lives in response to that passing comment by Christ, but he doesn't appear to have taken any personal responsibility and given all of his possessions away and that was the thrust of what Christ was saying.

Still a better man than that pseudo Marxist you swoon after.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Jun 14 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

"During the campaign, he was asked repeatedly in media interviews to clarify his views on gay sex"

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 15 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Poor old Timmy. Christianity is incompatible with politics these days. Should have coverted. Would have been fine then.

Who will be the next leader?

+Quote Post
shedboy
post Jun 15 2017, 05:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,849

I didn't vote for Mr Farron but admire him for sticking to his Christian principals. No Christian gets everything right, they just do their best to follow Christ.
So Simon 'let him who is without sin cast the first stone'

+Quote Post
newres
post Jun 15 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 14 2017, 11:35 PM) *

That was my take on it too. He certainly wasn't hounded out. Perhaps he'll join the DUP?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 15 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jun 15 2017, 05:10 AM) *
Poor old Timmy. Christianity is incompatible with politics these days. Should have coverted. Would have been fine then.

Who will be the next leader?

Is it? What is compatible with politics these days....aaah yes, modern, inclusive politics is just a matter of screching at each other and anything goes.

Quite apart from personal views, this sexual equality thing is an interesting point. Who decides (or indeed do we actually need to) what the 'rules' are? For instance, what's wrong with polygamous marriage, or filial relationships where they aren't forced and all parties agree? Then, similarly who determines the age limits, the commercial possibilities, or indeed the unforced opportunities.

So, how do we move forward? Or is it as its fast becoming today, just what the populist views is at any point in time - changing day by day?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 15 2017, 07:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Jun 14 2017, 11:51 PM) *
"During the campaign, he was asked repeatedly in media interviews to clarify his views on gay sex"

What he stumbled on was being asked whether he thought gay sex was sinful which isn't so much asking for his views as asking him for God's thoughts on the matter, and while Paul may have filled half the New Testament with his prurient judgementalism Farron would have done better to remind the reporter that a person's righteousness is between him and his Creator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 15 2017, 08:03 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Jun 15 2017, 08:00 AM) *
That was my take on it too. He certainly wasn't hounded out. Perhaps he'll join the DUP?

Precisely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 15 2017, 08:16 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 15 2017, 08:57 AM) *
What he stumbled on was being asked whether he thought gay sex was sinful which isn't so much asking for his views as asking him for God's thoughts on the matter, and while Paul may have filled half the New Testament with his prurient judgementalism Farron would have done better to remind the reporter that a person's righteousness is between him and his Creator.

Which he did, on several occasions, still didn't stop them hammering at it though, wouldn't leave it alone.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 15 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

It would appear, to the uninitiated ,that the problem is the religious doctrine as interpreted than the various sexual lifestyles that contravene .
I appreciate that man needs to believe in some higher deity in order to justify his actions but one would have thought by now the imposition of such teachings on those who do not subscribe is as unacceptable as ridiculing those who do .
Little doubt the LibDems committed hari kiri over the EU farce , as did UKIP , but one would have thought they could have protected their leader a little better knowing that his religious leanings could be his achilles heel .

Never a dull moment .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 15 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 15 2017, 09:31 AM) *
It would appear, to the uninitiated ,that the problem is the religious doctrine as interpreted than the various sexual lifestyles that contravene .
I appreciate that man needs to believe in some higher deity in order to justify his actions but one would have thought by now the imposition of such teachings on those who do not subscribe is as unacceptable as ridiculing those who do .
Little doubt the LibDems committed hari kiri over the EU farce , as did UKIP , but one would have thought they could have protected their leader a little better knowing that his religious leanings could be his achilles heel .

Never a dull moment .

Yes, there are two issues at play here. Frankly, the first about sexual lifestyles is probably the more important and consequently the more difficult. What is the religion free answer? Perhaps that deserves a separate thread but unless there is an answer, we are stuck with religion of whatever shade being inextricably linked to politics.

Protecting their leader doesn't come naturally to either shade of Conservative, LibDem or Tory. Let's face it, both treat them like animals at a cheap zoo. All the time they are pulling the punters, no issue, pay and rations. If in the view of the zoo keepers they stop, it's bye byes time. Look at past history, Charles Kennedy, Mrs Thatcher and Mrs May is now just a caged lion. Ironic, only Jeremy Corbyn seems to have slipped the lock and avoided the tranquiliser darts. Must mean something, perhaps Labour are starting to get it right.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 15 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

It's interesting to note that Corbyn is the one who has been on the receiving end of the most vitriol of the various leaders only to find himself as the most likely to be in his given position by the end of the year . May called the election in the belief that she would emulate the last "woman" who occupied No10 and silence those MPs who seemed to think the EU plebiscite was influenced by an over embuliant Borris and a bunch of northern xenophobes . Failure to understand the very people you rely on to achieve your ends must be a worry to everyone .
So in essence we are 2 down and 1 to go . Labour must now actually believe that they are electable and if I was Corbyn pushing for another election PDQ would be my raison d'etre .
Why would it be such as disaster to have a Labour Government anyway ? Yes Blair was a prick as was Brown but I doubt anyone would agree to be completely comfortable in Cameron's presence so , as the good old US of A will discover , if you don't like your leaders vote them out next time round .
The one thing I have learnt is that Politicians love to have their names in lights ,so being hounded out by a disgruntled electorate hurts .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 15 2017, 12:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

He could have taken some time out by claiming to have diabetes 2. Let the circling media vultures get bored and move on.

He was different in that he was an open and committed Christian, which whether you believe in sky fairies or not makes a change from the faux-pious and pompous political leaders who turn up to Sunday services when the TV crews are around, or put on a facade for other religious events where their attendance is 'part of the job' rather than because they have a strong faith that someone above is watching and checking whether they're lip-synching to the hymns or not....

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 15 2017, 01:07 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

A bit like today, may visits a disaster scene I private, no camera no media, JC arrived with retinue, full on media scrum, full exposure. "Ooh, a disaster, time to win some political advantage, Diane! Round up the posse!"

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 15 2017, 05:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 15 2017, 02:07 PM) *
A bit like today, may visits a disaster scene I private, no camera no media, JC arrived with retinue, full on media scrum, full exposure. "Ooh, a disaster, time to win some political advantage, Diane! Round up the posse!"

I guess May is feeling a bit vulnerable, seeing as it is her party that is starving public services.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Jun 15 2017, 06:04 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 15 2017, 06:08 PM) *
I guess May is feeling a bit vulnerable, seeing as it is her party that is starving public services.

Except, by their own admission that borough is rolling in it. Does not compute Will Robinson!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 15 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 15 2017, 06:08 PM) *

Im surprised she hasn't been accused of arson.😮
Social cleansing... Innit.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/15/grenfell-tow...cident-6711054/

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 15 2017, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Jun 15 2017, 07:04 PM) *
Except, by their own admission that borough is rolling in it. Does not compute Will Robinson!

Rolling in it doesn't mean it is spent wisely; however, whether or not it is because of social neglect, the fact remains she will be feeling contrite right now. I see she was too scared to meet residents today.

So it does compute.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:28 PM