Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Will this sort out our traffic?
Bofem
post Jan 7 2011, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

I think most of us are aware that WBC wants to ban buses in Northbrook Street, scrap the taxi rank in the Market Place, and sundry other bits and bobs to address town centre traffic issues.

This is to be decided next week
They seemed to have missed me off their consultation, but did ask some 'interest groups' and here's what they said, with the WBC response on the right.

What do you all think?

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 7 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Higher taxi fares when leaving the rank.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 7 2011, 06:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Bofem @ Jan 7 2011, 05:26 PM) *
I think most of us are aware that WBC wants to ban buses in Northbrook Street, scrap the taxi rank in the Market Place, and sundry other bits and bobs to address town centre traffic issues.

They seemed to have missed me off their consultation, but did ask some 'interest groups' and here's what they said, with the WBC response on the right.

What do you all think?

More experimental tinkering? Only way to solve main problem is new bridge and road over the river Kennet somewhere. Especially with all new housing being planned. Any suggestions?

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 7 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

They built another bridge over the Kennet ten plus years ago.

The only cost effective way to reduce traffic is for people to use their cars less. There's two main methods to achieve this:

1) The local government to do it and introduce a congestion scheme. This is something no politician will dream of suggesting just before an election.

2) People to use public transport more, something most won't do because however much they moan about being stuck in a traffic jam partly of their creation they prefer it to standing at a bus stop.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 7 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 7 2011, 06:20 PM) *
They built another bridge over the Kennet ten plus years ago.

The only cost effective way to reduce traffic is for people to use their cars less. There's two main methods to achieve this:

1) The local government to do it and introduce a congestion scheme. This is something no politician will dream of suggesting just before an election.

2) People to use public transport more, something most won't do because however much they moan about being stuck in a traffic jam partly of their creation they prefer it to standing at a bus stop.

There's a third: use the Internet, supermarkets and retail parks as much as you can.

And a fourth: if you live within a mile of the town, walk you lazy feckers!

A fifth: spend more time in pubs than shopping.

+Quote Post
gardeb
post Jan 7 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 570

I hope buses are banned from Northbrook Street as soon as possible together with all traffic, including cyclists to make the whole area much safer. At the moment it looks fully pedestrianised but just as you start to think like that a bus bears down.

Discouraging motorists from Newbury will probably add to the speed of its demise since from rural areas there is no sensible ammount of public transport. Despite what the greens may think we do enjoy using our cars even though the government and council see the motorist as a cash cow.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jan 7 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Ban buses for the town centre.

Make those lazy pensioners walk further to get their tins of cat food. The exercise will do them good!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Jan 7 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

I was thinking this the other day while stuck in traffic on A4 between Newbury and Thatcham. Mostly, it's two lanes all the way, so WBC want to turn that into a bus lane. There are 7 buses an hour between the two towns.

Persuading people to dump the car, walk to a bus stop, wait in the rain, sit next to some ropey strangers, then walk to work/shops/whatever at other end needs a lot of persuasion....I can afford not to do it. But for how long?

Car-sharing would be much more achievable. Incentivised rather than penalised, people always respond better. So instead of a bus lane, it could be a multiple occupancy lane, like they have in Holland.

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 7 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Thatcham to Newbury? Push-bike.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 8 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Bofem @ Jan 7 2011, 10:15 PM) *
What do you all think?

I know I've said it before but this really grates on me.................
We were told ten or more years ago that the by-pass would "sort out our traffic". laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 8 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bofem @ Jan 7 2011, 05:26 PM) *

What do you all think?

So long as cyclists are still allowed to ride through Northbrook street then I'll go along with the ban on buses etc. We've got to get our priorities right wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 8 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 7 2011, 09:15 PM) *

I do.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 8 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 8 2011, 09:41 AM) *
I know I've said it before but this really grates on me................. We were told ten or more years ago that the by-pass would "sort out our traffic". laugh.gif

But that would be to assume the by-pass was built for Newbury. As we should know, it wasn't.

Think what it would be like if the by-pass wasn't built! At the end of the day, Newbury's traffic is nothing like as bad as it used to be.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 8 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 7 2011, 09:15 PM) *

To include a trailer for the weekly shopping? Somewhere to park the Push-Bike and Trailer? Extra seating for the baby and toddler? No chance stick to the Chelsea tractor! wink.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 8 2011, 11:25 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jan 8 2011, 11:22 AM) *
To include a trailer for the weekly shopping? Somewhere to park the Push-Bike and Trailer? Extra seating for the baby and toddler? No chance stick to the Chelsea tractor! wink.gif

Er, it would be cheaper to have no car and get a taxi once a week, or use the car out-side of rush hour. All other times, push-bike.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 8 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 8 2011, 12:20 PM) *
But that would be to assume the by-pass was built for Newbury. As we should know, it wasn't.

Agreed - but that's what we were told.

The moral being - you cant build your way out of this problem - other solutions have to be found.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 8 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Thatcham to Newbury - Seven buses an hour according to a post on this thread. Why not use the bus?

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Jan 8 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

QUOTE (gardeb @ Jan 7 2011, 07:28 PM) *
I hope buses are banned from Northbrook Street as soon as possible together with all traffic, including cyclists to make the whole area much safer. At the moment it looks fully pedestrianised but just as you start to think like that a bus bears down.

Discouraging motorists from Newbury will probably add to the speed of its demise since from rural areas there is no sensible ammount of public transport. Despite what the greens may think we do enjoy using our cars even though the government and council see the motorist as a cash cow.

I agree, I also think that buses should be baned from Northbrook Street. As a mother of 2 children it is a nightmare. It looks like it's pedestrian only even to a small child as people are walking all over the area all the time and to a child this means there is no traffic and then a BL**DY great big bus comes along! I am not an engineer but where I used to live in London the main shopping street was flly pedestrianised except for emergency access. At either end of the main street there were bus stop "areas" and car parks so this meant easy access. I think that Newbury could adopt the same with a few alterations.

I also think that the bridge across the canal by Camps should be either widened to take two way traffic (if they could keep it's rather pleasing aesthetics) or an additional (twin) bridge built to keep the flow of traffic moving. I'm not an architect but I am sure this could be possible. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Jan 8 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

Sorry for the second post but I also think that by making Northbrook Street pedestrian only and placing additional car parking and bus stops at either end it would increase the footfall for businesses in the town centre and the market place. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 8 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Jan 8 2011, 12:23 PM) *
I agree, I also think that buses should be baned from Northbrook Street. As a mother of 2 children it is a nightmare. It looks like it's pedestrian only even to a small child as people are walking all over the area all the time and to a child this means there is no traffic and then a BL**DY great big bus comes along!

Great! Get rid of the buses and now we have bloody feral kids to contend with! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:57 PM