Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Nov 25 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,387

There goes the last bit of remaining green space between Thatcham & Newbury.

Welcome to the metropolis of Thatchbury.

Still, we do need a lot of new homes, so that would seem as good a place as any. It might be nice if a few shops and other infrastructure was part of the plan though. All of the new build in Thatcham in the last 20 years has had nothing but houses.

+Quote Post
biggus_richus
post Nov 25 2011, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 59

300 new homes? I guess, going on past experience, we can expect that to become nearer 600 at some point.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Nov 25 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Ozzy @ Nov 25 2011, 01:45 PM) *
Has anyone else had this consultation through the post:

http://www.boyerplanning.co.uk/PublicConsu...on/HenwickPark/

No!

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 26 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Nov 25 2011, 03:05 PM) *
There goes the last bit of remaining green space between Thatcham & Newbury.

Welcome to the metropolis of Thatchbury.

Still, we do need a lot of new homes, so that would seem as good a place as any. It might be nice if a few shops and other infrastructure was part of the plan though. All of the new build in Thatcham in the last 20 years has had nothing but houses.

The development is some distance from the 'strategic gap', so does not impact on it in the slightest.

Totally correct about the suffocation of Thatcham by building houses on every available space. Shops do not make the same profit for developers, and green space is an absolute waste of money. However, we seem not to have learned the lessons and still approve developments with no infrastructure included.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 26 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I'd be surprised if this is allowed to go through to be honest, but who knows with the way the council makes it's decisions. It would appear the less suitable a site is, the more determined the council are to build houses on the site in question (look at Sandleford).

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 26 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 26 2011, 11:12 AM) *
I'd be surprised if this is allowed to go through to be honest, but who knows with the way the council makes it's decisions. It would appear the less suitable a site is, the more determined the council are to build houses on the site in question (look at Sandleford).

By the time it gets to the planning approval stage the rules will probably have changed - and WBC will have no power to stop it, even if they wanted to. The only protection greenfield sites will have will be special designations (SSSI, AONB etc) or being outside of the general areas identified by WBC for possible development in the Local Development Framework.

The government is determined to get huge numbers of house built ASAP - planning rules won't be allowed to get in the way for much longer.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Nov 26 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 26 2011, 12:45 PM) *
By the time it gets to the planning approval stage the rules will probably have changed - and WBC will have no power to stop it, even if they wanted to. The only protection greenfield sites will have will be special designations (SSSI, AONB etc) or being outside of the general areas identified by WBC for possible development in the Local Development Framework.

The government is determined to get huge numbers of house built ASAP - planning rules won't be allowed to get in the way for much longer.

What exactly is the big deal with building on green-field sites? People need to live somewhere, and it makes no sense to build houses if there aren't people to buy them, so if the current planning system and the self-serving nimbys who control it are responsible for the lack of housing and the unaffordable escalation of house prices then roll-on the new system I say.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 26 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Wholly agree, and like it or not we are going to have a lot more. The only real issue is making sure we have an infrastructure that can cope with the population increase. Trouble is, local political leadership round here has always been lack lustre and limited. Trying to keep Newbury as it was in 1950s. They shouldn't even pretend they can 'stop it happening'!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 26 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Guests

Nooo I'm totally against this I used to play there when I was younger!!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Nov 26 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

It don't effect me so go on and build ! I may even buy shares in the company.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Ozzy
post Nov 28 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 649

The build doesn't bother me that much. I only live around the corner but they have to build somewhere.

My biggest concern is the traffic. That is at least 600 new cars going up and down Floral Way to the A4. That road is dangerous enough at the moment with people constantly speeding up the hill bit.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 28 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #13

Guests

Yeah these bloody motorists we should lock them up and throw away the key!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:01 PM