Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The state of Newbury Roads
Bloggo
post May 18 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

In response to the request for input regarding this subject can I say that there are two roads in Newbury that I personally find dangerousnow as I am looking to avoid pot-holes rather than watching traffic.
These are the Old Bath Road at Speen, absolutely appalling and the route between Hungerford Common and Essex Street in Newbury.
I have no doubt that cars will be damaged by the horrendous road surface and maybe people will get hurt.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben NWN
post May 18 2009, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 28

Thanks Bloggo.

Anyone else know of more dodgy roads around West Berkshire? It would be interesting to know if anyone's car has actually been damaged by these potholes.

+Quote Post
Twenty Something
post May 18 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 24

I agree, I live near Essex Street and the potholes are a nightmare, I nearly went up on the kerb because of a particular one on a bend, in the dark. Also, not sure if it is the council's area but what a mess in the Budgen's/Thresher's Car Park!!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post May 18 2009, 04:18 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

It seems a bit rich that a Lib Dem will condemn the roads in West Berks, when under their watch the roads seemed no better. Indeed, I would regard the standard of roads in the Newbury area to be in better condition than when they were in power.

These press releases only realy serve to remind us that elections are on the horizon.

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post May 18 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

This doesn't concern Westberks or Newbury but if you ever want to take your family up to Beacon Hill, watch out for a very very deep pot hole to the left as you enter the small car park. It blew my mates tire who was behind me, it gave a very slow puncture to a friend behind him and gave me a fast puncture when being in front. Pretty bad if you ask me.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

There are many roads around Turnpike that are very dangerous. When you complain they say they haven't got the money or other areas are a priority.

+Quote Post
Jolie
post May 19 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 83

Going through Inkpen along the Craven Road into Hungerford is another bad road. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 20 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

laugh.gif Northbrook Street outside Watersones....huge holes laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 21 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy @ May 20 2009, 01:40 PM) *
laugh.gif Northbrook Street outside Watersones....huge holes laugh.gif

Yes, very huge laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post May 22 2009, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

I find Elizabeth Avenue horrible to drive on. I remember being a learner driver and complaining to my teacher about the state of that one road, and now I have a car with hard suspension and I can't even go down that road otherwise I'm bouncing around in my seat!

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 22 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Andrea @ May 22 2009, 10:09 AM) *
I find Elizabeth Avenue horrible to drive on. I remember being a learner driver and complaining to my teacher about the state of that one road, and now I have a car with hard suspension and I can't even go down that road otherwise I'm bouncing around in my seat!

It is not just the bumps that make it a bad bit of road it is also the cars parked on it. The worst bit is by the first corner coming down the hill where you have to go round them not knowing if anything is coming or not!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 22 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ May 22 2009, 10:09 AM) *

They've been needing improvement for ages. People have complained and nothing has been done about it.

+Quote Post
paisleybud
post Jun 4 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 126

I drive and cycle and find that most of the roads in West Berkshire are a disgrace. The Reading Road and Soke Road in Padworth are terrible. I have been nearly run over several times coming out trying to avoid a pothole. Now and again they fill them in but they need to close of roads and completely relay the surface. When you are on a Hampshire road and then into a West Berkshire Road you can feel the difference immediately

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 5 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (paisleybud @ Jun 4 2009, 03:38 PM) *
I drive and cycle and find that most of the roads in West Berkshire are a disgrace. The Reading Road and Soke Road in Padworth are terrible. I have been nearly run over several times coming out trying to avoid a pothole. Now and again they fill them in but they need to close of roads and completely relay the surface. When you are on a Hampshire road and then into a West Berkshire Road you can feel the difference immediately

Really? Have you ever driven east from Portsmouth on the constant rumble strip that is the M27?

+Quote Post
Richard Head
post Jun 5 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 69

QUOTE (paisleybud @ Jun 4 2009, 03:38 PM) *
From my point of view I'd rather not have my Council Tax wasted by resurfacing large stretches of country road to fill in a couple of pot holes.

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Jun 5 2009, 02:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Richard Head @ Jun 5 2009, 01:14 PM) *
From my point of view I'd rather not have my Council Tax wasted by resurfacing large stretches of country road to fill in a couple of pot holes.

On many roads it's more than a couple of pot holes, and probably cheaper in the long term to resurface a road properly rather than endlessly "make do and mend" - the filled in holes don't last long before they need repairing again. Also, pot holes are dangerous to many road users - doesn't seem like a waste of money if it reduces accidents, injuries and possibly lives.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Jun 6 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Also the continual patching can hide underlying problems such as subsidence.

+Quote Post
santolina
post Aug 3 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 245

QUOTE (Ben NWN @ May 18 2009, 04:26 PM) *
Thanks Bloggo.

Anyone else know of more dodgy roads around West Berkshire? It would be interesting to know if anyone's car has actually been damaged by these potholes.

The Hermitage part of Yattendon Road is very dodgy. Even if you do 20 mph you still feel the bumps and potholes.

I know that this is an old post, but I've just joined the site and playing catch up. So sorry if you regulars are fed up reading the same old posts!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 3 2009, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (santolina @ Aug 3 2009, 09:47 PM) *
The Hermitage part of Yattendon Road is very dodgy. Even if you do 20 mph you still feel the bumps and potholes.

I know that this is an old post, but I've just joined the site and playing catch up. So sorry if you regulars are fed up reading the same old posts!

We are never fed up with going over ground - after all this is a Newbury forum - so just jump in wherever it tickles your fancy.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 3 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Kiln Road.... don't know about the potholes but there are dirty great LUMPS of tarmac every 50 metres or so. When I'm doing 50mph it really knackers the car....

For those public spirited types who may want to do something more practical than just moan on a website, try using the Council pothole reporting form....
http://ww2.westberks.gov.uk/InternetMappin...tReporting.aspx

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:53 PM