Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Death penalty; yes or no
GMR
post Aug 2 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

As it has been discussed on another topic I thought it would be a good idea to have a poll.

For the most serious crimes should the death penalty be brought back?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 2 2009, 10:24 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

I did do an actual poll but it seems admin has disabled it for whatever reason; probably that sort of democracy on here is a step too far laugh.gif

But the question can be still answered; the choices I gave was "yes," No," or "don't know".

+Quote Post
Wicca
post Aug 2 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 62

I think in some cases the death penalty is the best course of action, but they need to be judged case by case individually and not as a sweeping judgement.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 2 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Wicca @ Aug 2 2009, 11:25 PM) *
I think in some cases the death penalty is the best course of action, but they need to be judged case by case individually and not as a sweeping judgement.

I agree.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Aug 2 2009, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

No. When unsure I usually say no, unless it's last orders, but I have to ask first, what is the purpose of the death penalty?

QUOTE (Wicca @ Aug 2 2009, 11:25 PM) *

Interestingly, I understand that the Death Penalty works best as a deterrent when it is unconditional.

+Quote Post
Andy
post Aug 2 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

Yes

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 3 2009, 07:33 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

No.

(I think NWN have a monopoly on polls, on the home page smile.gif. Try something like "Do you think it will rain tomorrow?" and see if you get away with that.)

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Aug 3 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Only for the most heinous of crimes where the burden of proof is 100% absolute.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2009, 07:56 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

Really depends on the situation. I usually believe that serving a life long prison sentence would be worse than the death penalty as death would be the 'easy way out'. But I'm starting to change my mind on that. I do believe a death penalty would be a good deterrant but only serious offenders should be given the death penalty. So yes, I would like to see the death penalty back, but only if loads of factors were in place to determine who receives it (such as the crime and their personality - if it's some sicko that wants to be killed, let them rot in a cell for the rest of their life!)

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 3 2009, 08:36 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Emotionally I instinctivly want to vote 'Yes' but logically I know that the answer has to be 'No'

If we had retained the death penaly during the 1970s/80s periods then a lot of Irish people who were subsequently found to have been innocent would have been executed for terrorist offences.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Funny that some of those who are saying yes are those who think the Police, or Courts & Judicial System does not do a good job..............

With no chance of a meaningful pardon killing someone for a crime is a punishment too far.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2009, 10:41 AM) *
Funny that some of those who are saying yes are those who think the Police, or Courts & Judicial System does not do a good job..............

With no chance of a meaningful pardon killing someone for a crime is a punishment too far.

So? I thought the Police, courts, etc weren't doing a good enough job because they weren't strict enough. I don't see what your point is?

Pardon me for being a bit extreme here... but if someone raped and murdered your child, would you be okay with that person living out the rest of their life in prison where they will live a rather cushy prison life?

It's that sort of thing that I would want the death penalty for.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 3 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2009, 10:41 AM) *

You mean people like the Moor murderers, child abusers, serial killers etc should have a 'meaningful pardon,' or at least the chance of a 'meaningful pardon'?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 10:14 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Aug 3 2009, 10:48 AM) *
So? I thought the Police, courts, etc weren't doing a good enough job because they weren't strict enough. I don't see what your point is?

Pardon me for being a bit extreme here... but if someone raped and murdered your child, would you be okay with that person living out the rest of their life in prison where they will live a rather cushy prison life?

It's that sort of thing that I would want the death penalty for.

Could you ever be sure the Police, Jury, Judge had got it right?

Take the cases of - Steven Downing & Stefan Kisko. Both victims serious miscarriges of justice, both innocent & both having endured over a decade in prison.

And prison is not 'cushy'.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *
You mean people like the Moor murderers, child abusers, serial killers etc should have a 'meaningful pardon,' or at least the chance of a 'meaningful pardon'?

Serial killers end up in secure hospitals. They are mentally ill. You don't kill someone for being ill.

You seem to be assuming that the Courts & Police always get it right, so it would be safe to string 'em up.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2009, 11:14 AM) *
Could you ever be sure the Police, Jury, Judge had got it right?

Take the cases of - Steven Downing & Stefan Kisko. Both victims serious miscarriges of justice, both innocent & both having endured over a decade in prison.

And prison is not 'cushy'.

In comparison to prison in other countries, UK prison life is cushy.

and I would only agree with the death sentence if there was not a single percent of doubt that the person was guilty.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Aug 3 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

I've just read all of the recent posts and there is a lot of sense being spoken for both sides of the argument.
My view is that the death penalty should be reinstated for serial killers, those that rape and kill, those that kill children, those that kill police.
I know that some innocent people would suffer as a result of this however I believe that there are a huge amount of innocent victims who are killed by other simply because there is no death penalty deterent.
So yes, bring it back.
I am also in favour of Corporal punishment.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
J C
post Aug 3 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

Instictively I would answer yes to bring back the death penalty, but I think it's not because it's the right punishment but life sentances never seem to mean life these days so I would be looking towards the death penalty as a more fitting sentance.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Aug 3 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Aug 3 2009, 11:22 AM) *
In comparison to prison in other countries, UK prison life is cushy.

and I would only agree with the death sentence if there was not a single percent of doubt that the person was guilty.

Prison life is comparative no? A bit like comparing having a hand chopped off to having a finger chopped off. Both not nice, but one preferable to the other. I'd suggest that having to spend 24/7 with a group of people, many rejected & forgotten by society would not be cushy at all.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Aug 3 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Aug 3 2009, 11:47 AM) *
Prison life is comparative no? A bit like comparing having a hand chopped off to having a finger chopped off. Both not nice, but one preferable to the other. I'd suggest that having to spend 24/7 with a group of people, many rejected & forgotten by society would not be cushy at all.

From everything I've heard, the only thing not cushy about prison is that you're not allowed to leave until your sentence is up. They have a lot of comforts in prison that the average joe in the world can't afford.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:19 PM