+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 12 2018, 07:05 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 12 2018, 07:31 AM) *

What a load of old sh1t. How will this work? Bus companies get paid by the number of U25s they carry? That will be abused and the tax payer will suffer. Also how will this be paid for? I suppose if bus travel is free you can cruise all night selling drugs in the back of the bus. Perfect.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 12 2018, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Whatever anyone's politics, this seems a pretty good idea from other perspectives as well. The insurance people, by their premiums, recognise the young and old as significant risks. It makes sense then, to actively promote public transport, focussed on those age groups. Additionally, it should develop sufficient use to support a better and more extensive public transport system. This is on top of potentially freeing up cinjested road space. Yes, there is a cost, but even the present austerity centric government subsidises other deemed necessary development such as green energy.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 12 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 12 2018, 08:06 AM) *
Whatever anyone's politics, this seems a pretty good idea from other perspectives as well. The insurance people, by their premiums, recognise the young and old as significant risks. It makes sense then, to actively promote public transport, focussed on those age groups. Additionally, it should develop sufficient use to support a better and more extensive public transport system. This is on top of potentially freeing up cinjested road space. Yes, there is a cost, but even the present austerity centric government subsidises other deemed necessary development such as green energy.

I would like to think that this measure would be more than offset by the savings made by the reduction in accidents involving the young, a spin off benefit might be a reduction in insurance costs for everyone else. So, potentially a goodish idea.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 12 2018, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 12 2018, 12:23 PM) *
I would like to think that this measure would be more than offset by the savings made by the reduction in accidents involving the young, a spin off benefit might be a reduction in insurance costs for everyone else. So, potentially a goodish idea.

Jeremy Corbyn! I've agreed with you and TDH today!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 12 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Concerned this may be just click bait for the young, 13billion! Where's that coming from? Granted some will come from reduced deaths but by no means all of it. JC says "by ringfencing ved" well, that monies already being spent, pull £13b out of the pot and that's money could have gone to the NHS, or education or even policing. I suspect it will lead to yet more borrowing and higher taxes. It's one of these policies that sound nice initially but fail to stand the scrutiny in the cold light of day. And in light of the fact that some councils can no longer fund bus passes for the over 60's it sounds just a bit like Diannenomics.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 12 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

I think we should all be paying more tax if only because the NHS is underfunded and in crisis.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 12 2018, 04:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 12 2018, 04:38 PM) *
I think we should all be paying more tax if only because the NHS is underfunded and in crisis.

That's not in question, the question is where's the money going to come from for free bus travel? They were trumpeting free university education last year, before they realised they couldn't afford it. We need at least an extra 3% in the basic code to pay for what we want, the first party to announce that will slit its own throat.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 12 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Apr 12 2018, 05:19 PM) *
That's not in question, the question is where's the money going to come from for free bus travel? They were trumpeting free university education last year, before they realised they couldn't afford it. We need at least an extra 3% in the basic code to pay for what we want, the first party to announce that will slit its own throat.

Well, if we take West Berkshire, if you look inside the buses that are around; most of them have rather more spare seats than passengers. For the school run, there may well be a slight increase, but generally those that go on the bus are subsidised anyway. Ive no knowledge of the numbers, but it seems to me that this could be done at a very low or indeed no cost. If I wanted to be cynical of Labour's intention, it's a great marketing ploy, something for the young, which won't cost them - they've obviously been learning marketing!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 14 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 12 2018, 12:23 PM) *

I doubt that very much. How many teens/under 25s would be prepared to give up or not acquire their own transport if able, rather than buses?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 14 2018, 05:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 14 2018, 05:50 PM) *
I doubt that very much. How many teens/under 25s would be prepared to give up or not acquire their own transport if able, rather than buses?

Yet another case of "do what I say you want not what you want to do". If I was a teenager I think I would need to ask some very serious questions.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 14 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 14 2018, 06:34 PM) *
Yet another case of "do what I say you want not what you want to do". If I was a teenager I think I would need to ask some very serious questions.

What time's the last bus home?

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 14 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I have a feeling that if there was an election tomorrow, Labour would win.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 14 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Apr 14 2018, 06:34 PM) *

Sadly, in certain not to be mentioned learning environments, I wouldn't be given the chance to ask such questions.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 15 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Apr 14 2018, 06:50 PM) *
I have a feeling that if there was an election tomorrow, Labour would win.

I have a feeling if there was an election tomorrow, people would wake up to the threat of a pacifist, Marxist, weak, terrorist supporting, financially inept, mired in the sixties, fiscally inept opposition. But hey!ho!

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 15 2018, 05:18 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 15 2018, 01:56 AM) *
I have a feeling if there was an election tomorrow, people would wake up to the threat of a pacifist, Marxist, weak, terrorist supporting, financially inept, mired in the sixties, fiscally inept opposition. But hey!ho!

Interesting. A supporter of terrorists AND a pacifist. He is a true miracle.

+Quote Post
newres
post Apr 15 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Apr 14 2018, 10:28 PM) *
Sadly, in certain not to be mentioned learning environments, I wouldn't be given the chance to ask such questions.

Which ones are they?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 15 2018, 08:44 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 15 2018, 01:56 AM) *

If only!

The 1960's is an ironic, but spot on choice. Essentially a choice between incompetence and ineptitude. Ted Heath v Harold Wilson.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Apr 15 2018, 10:03 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 15 2018, 09:44 AM) *
If only!

The 1960's is an ironic, but spot on choice. Essentially a choice between incompetence and ineptitude. Ted Heath v Harold Wilson.

Don't leave poor old Alec Douglas Hume out of the analogy. A man who managed to encompass both. cool.gif

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 15 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Blond walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre,
So the barman gave her one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:11 PM