Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What annoys you most?, In the Newbury area
spartacus
post Aug 1 2013, 12:48 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Annoying.... Wheezing people in mobility scooters who terrify pedestrians by hammering along the footpaths well above the supposed manufactured speed of these things while smoking a packet of fags and being dressed in SPORTS KIT!? ("You're not going to football practice so get that Sports Direct tat off!!")

Annoying.... My next-door-neighbour-but-one's hound.... I want to rip the thing's bark box out of it's throat. It's been programmed to bark from dawn to dusk every weekend and presumably only stops to take a breath when it's crapping on the verges in our estate. (But it's a big dog so would probably take MY throat out if I made a grab)

Annoying.... The flying rats that insist on using my garden to perform their daily sex rituals and then thank me by crapping over my cars. (I need to make me a pigeon killing catapult like I used to have when I was a youngster and put an end to their depraved behaviour)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GhostMemory
post Aug 1 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 8,749

St. John's roundabout annoys me. I don't know who signed off on that cycle lane layout but I'm sure I could illustrate to them why it's dangerous in less than a minute with a very crude drawing. And then slap them about the face slapstick-style.

I'm also irritated by the charity muggers that invade Northbrook Street once in a while. They make shopping in the town very unpleasant (the false compliments are nauseating and I'm very much suffering from compassion fatigue).

The retail park car park is aggravating simply because it's nearly always too busy and it feels like they tried to fit too many parking spaces.

Other than the aforementioned, I find Newbury a very pleasant place to live.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 1 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

This thread proves everyone on here is middle aged and loves a good moan! laugh.gif

QUOTE (gel @ Jul 31 2013, 06:11 PM) *
On car lights subject again, get very annoyed, (but now given up hoping will ever change) re drivers in traffic queues, who can't be asked to use their handbrake.

They're too lazy and just keep foot on the brakes so dazzling unfortunate motorist/s behind em, as traffic crawls along; if they're one of those previously mentioned, with unnecessary rear fogs on too, even better...not angry.gif .

Yes that is annoying. However I now have an automatic. And generally by the time you have put your car in N and put the handbrake on the lights have changed. And then you have a slight pause going from N to D before you can pull away...

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Aug 1 2013, 08:12 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (spartacus @ Aug 1 2013, 01:48 AM) *
Annoying.... My next-door-neighbour-but-one's hound.... I want to rip the thing's bark box out of it's throat. It's been programmed to bark from dawn to dusk every weekend and presumably only stops to take a breath when it's crapping on the verges in our estate. (But it's a big dog so would probably take MY throat out if I made a grab)

Annoying.... The flying rats that insist on using my garden to perform their daily sex rituals and then thank me by crapping over my cars. (I need to make me a pigeon killing catapult like I used to have when I was a youngster and put an end to their depraved behaviour)

The noisiest dog near me is a Doberman & the owner seems oblivious to it barking everyday not just weekends angry.gif .
You are right about the pigeon's, they are a pest & health hazard & something needs to be done about their increasing population.

Something else which annoys me that I missed of my list is drivers who must speed around Tesco's car park & give a menacing look if you dare try pulling out. And why do 4x4 drivers always want to park next to me making it difficult to squeeze back into my car.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 1 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

The chuggers and churglers: yes, what a pestilential menace these are. Why haven't they been banned?

The European Union: An over-bloated, duplicitous, corrupt, outdated, bureaucratic and hypocritical mess we have been shackled to.

Bankers: have people forgot the hubris that these liars still manifest? The bankers were the co-conspirators in the financial collapse.

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair: The guilty men, liars, unable to confess their giant size **** ups and ineptitude and who carelessly flooded Britain with uncontrolled immigration.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 1 2013, 10:21 AM) *
The European Union: An over-bloated, duplicitous, corrupt, outdated, bureaucratic and hypocritical mess we have been shackled to.

You should have seen what it was like before!

+Quote Post
Blake
post Aug 1 2013, 09:25 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

I'd rather we did thank you.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Aug 1 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 31 2013, 01:46 PM) *
One of my biggest pet-hates, trivial as it may be, is people who drive with their parking lights on. It's not a major issue, and I doubt there are more than 2 accidents in West Berkshire each year that can be attributed to it, if that, but it infuriates me nonetheless. They're called parking lights for a reason!

What annoys you most?

QUOTE (motormad @ Jul 31 2013, 05:34 PM) *
You really are an idiot aren't you.
All new cars as of late 2011/2012 have to have front daytime running lights BY LAW. I can't think to see how there are ANY accidents contributable to that.
If you didn't see the car coming you certainly didn't see it had it's sidelights on.. Use your brain, seriously.

Motormad,

Firstly, I think calling me an idiot is a little unnecessary. By all means if you disagree, say so, but name-calling is out of order.

Now to the matter at hand, I think there may be some confusion (on your part). Ignore DRLs (which as I've stated before I'm happy to see and wish all cars had them). I'm talking about parking lights. One click on the headlight stalk.

Imagine, if you will, a black 1995 Ford Fiesta. It's dusk and the driver takes a trip from Newbury to Hungerford along the A4. He decides it's not dark enough for headlights so only turns the lights one click, which turns on the parking lights (you have referred to them as sidelights). While I don't think this is illegal, as previously stated elsewhere in this thread, I think the highway code advises it's not the correct use of parking lights.

By switching on the parking lights the Fiesta the driver has illuminated the dimmest light known to man, akin to the torch you pull out of the drawer in a power cut, whose batteries are 20 years old. Striking a match would generate a brighter light.

Now imagine you, driving in your new automatic car in the opposite direction and you're stuck behind a car doing 50 miles per hour. I guess you car has auto-headlights, which will be on. You want to go faster and when the road straightens and is clear up ahead (no oncoming headlights) you initiate an overtake, being extra-careful as it really is nearly dark now.

Halfway through the manoeuver up ahead you see the outline of the Fiesta & the dim parking lights and have to quickly decide whether to complete the overtake or abort. It's made tricky because trying to judge the oncoming vehicle's speed is very difficult indeed.

And this is what I mean about accidents, and I bet some have happened as a result of this scenario. If the Fiesta had its headlights on there would be no doubt there was an oncoming vehicle and the overtake wouldn't even have begun.

I have been in this situation many, many times over the years and is why I'm glad that DRLs have become law, and why people driving with their parking lights on infuriates me.

If it's dark enough for light just turn the switch one more time and put your headlights on.

My car doesn't have DRLs and I actually tend to drive with my headlights on all the time now. If it helps other road users spot me then personally I don't see the harm.

Apologies for the lengthy post but hopefully that's made my point clear. If you still think I'm an idiot then perhaps you'll let know using kinder terms, being a friendly forum and all that.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 1 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

You should have specified it was cars at night driving with only sidelights on.
I have been in that situation before where someone is oncoming with only sidelights but as a highly respected member of the VW community (not my words, Claude, the words of a web forum) I am an observant car driver so would spot the dimmest lights known to man.
Only because I look out for things like that.

I let my auto lights sort themselves out - having my lights on in the day makes me feel like I'm driving a Volvo and my name is Dorothy or Agnes.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 1 2013, 10:19 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 1 2013, 10:25 AM) *
I'd rather we did thank you.

Let me put it another way, we had all those things as well back then, but we had the added 'bonus' of world wars too. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Claude
post Aug 1 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

I just thought of something I do that is probably quite annoying to other people. When I pull up behind a stationary car and I see it has rear parking sensors sometimes I make sure I get so close that it makes it beep in the car. You can tell because the car in front edges forwards slightly then stops. As do I.

It's childish and borne out of jealousy but sometimes I just can't help myself.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 1 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Well Claude, that is a new game to play. I have never thought of that. And you took motormad to task for his choice
of language!. If you start a thread on "silly games one plays", I wonder if you will get so many responders.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 1 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 1 2013, 11:05 AM) *
having my lights on in the day makes me feel like I'm driving a Volvo and my name is Dorothy or Agnes.

You forgot when it's raining.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Aug 1 2013, 12:03 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Claude @ Aug 1 2013, 11:49 AM) *
When I pull up behind a stationary car and I see it has rear parking sensors sometimes I make sure I get so close that it makes it beep in the car.

Rear parking sensors only activate when the car is in reverse.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 1 2013, 12:07 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Most of mine covered in posts above especially the variously mentioned forms of ant-social behaviour.
One more I might add (and I think it has been discussed on here before) bloody light aircraft doing aerobatics over my garden nearly every sunny day when I want to relax out there.
If I made that much noise on my bike in a residential area I would have Mr. Plod chasing me in no time! angry.gif

+Quote Post
Claude
post Aug 1 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ Aug 1 2013, 01:03 PM) *
Rear parking sensors only activate when the car is in reverse.

I assume you missed out the word, "most", "some" or "many" because I know for a fact that not "all" do smile.gif

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Aug 1 2013, 01:18 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Claude @ Aug 1 2013, 01:52 PM) *
I know for a fact that not "all" do smile.gif

Of course. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Aug 1 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Aug 1 2013, 10:21 AM) *
The chuggers and churglers: yes, what a pestilential menace these are. Why haven't they been banned?

Bankers: have people forgot the hubris that these liars still manifest? The bankers were the co-conspirators in the financial collapse.

Gordon Brown and Tony Blair: The guilty men, liars, unable to confess their giant size **** ups and ineptitude and who carelessly flooded Britain with uncontrolled immigration.

Steady on Blake, this thread is supposed to be about annoying things in the Newbury area. Or else the next thing we will be hearing about will be self managed allotments in Outer Mongolia wink.gif !!

+Quote Post
HJD
post Aug 1 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 1 2013, 01:07 PM) *
One more I might add (and I think it has been discussed on here before) bloody light aircraft doing aerobatics over my garden nearly every sunny day when I want to relax out there.
If I made that much noise on my bike in a residential area I would have Mr. Plod chasing me in no time! angry.gif

How about the Chinnook's who do low level flying at 23.30 !!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post Aug 1 2013, 01:54 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

Something that really winds me up is fat children. At an age when kids are supposed to be outdoors burining off all their energy, they just seem to be scoffing crisps and sweets and growing bigger and bigger. Nince times out of ten it's poor parenting (rubbish diet etc) as opposed to any genetic/health factors!

The next door neighbour's cat sh!tting in my garden, generally after I have spent time pruning it and making it look as good as I can. This almost makes me want to return the favour in the neighbour's garden, maybe one day.

Road works delaying my journey, especially when (like Ecchinswell Road) the road has been "closed" but there are no "workmen," (or if there are they're not working).

People parking on the forecourt of the petrol station and then spending ages doing their shopping inside. (Or, people who have to sit and prune themselves when they get back in the car, just get out of the way!)

The Falkland surgery. You have to wait the best part of a month for an appointment, even if you need an emergency, and almost always the nosey receptionist insist on knowing what is wrong so she can determine how important it is!

People that slow to a crawl going over cattle grids (eg Bury's Bank Road). You'll be ok going a bit quicker!

Shop assistants who pounce on you the moment you enter the store, especially the ones who say "can I help at all?" the moment you step through the shop door. Argh!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:35 PM