IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are we too reticent in our achievements?
Jayjay
post Apr 5 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

Watching the Apprentice last night, got me thinking. I haven't needed to submit a CV for a long while but, while you used to round up your sales or typing speeds, outright bragging was a no-no. Is it now seen as acceptable to put on your CV 'they call me a shark in a pool of minnows' or state you are the greatest salesman in the world? If it is acceptable, is it right and/or does it work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 5 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 5 2012, 08:10 AM) *
Watching the Apprentice last night, got me thinking. I haven't needed to submit a CV for a long while but, while you used to round up your sales or typing speeds, outright bragging was a no-no. Is it now seen as acceptable to put on your CV 'they call me a shark in a pool of minnows' or state you are the greatest salesman in the world? If it is acceptable, is it right and/or does it work?

It's not real Jayjay its TV. I think the candidates are hired for their entertainment value.
Nicks going to win it anyway.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Apr 5 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 5 2012, 09:10 AM) *

BS may get you there, but BS will not keep you there!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Apr 5 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Wasn't thinking exclusively about the programme. The steriotype of Americans was brash and vulgar for boasting about what they had, what they had done. Whereas the Brits were more modest in boasting about their acheivements. As youngsters we were taught not to boast, pride comes before a fall etc., Trying to decide if we should shout more about our large salaries and how good at our jobs we are or carry on with the stiff upper lip.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Apr 5 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 5 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Wasn't thinking exclusively about the programme. The steriotype of Americans was brash and vulgar for boasting about what they had, what they had done. Whereas the Brits were more modest in boasting about their acheivements. As youngsters we were taught not to boast, pride comes before a fall etc., Trying to decide if we should shout more about our large salaries and how good at our jobs we are or carry on with the stiff upper lip.

My view would be that you should be perfectly entitled to broadcast your achievements and successes providing they are real. BS should be avoided as it will make you look a tw*t when found out as has been proved to case on The Apprentice.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Jonno
post Apr 5 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,525

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Apr 5 2012, 12:25 PM) *
It's not real Jayjay its TV. I think the candidates are hired for their entertainment value.
Nicks going to win it anyway.

A friend's daughter got down to the last 24 for the previous series but was rejected. She was unofficially told she was too 'normal' - that may not be the only reason, but that's what she was told!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 5 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Karen Brady was on Heart this morning and was adamant the candidates are not selected for their likely 'tv rating' level (or stupidity).
Ok, she would say that, but her point is that Srallun puts in a genuine #250k from his own pocket and would not do that for a dork... Although it seems he does!!!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Apr 5 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 5 2012, 08:25 PM) *
Karen Brady was on Heart this morning and was adamant the candidates are not selected for their likely 'tv rating' level (or stupidity).
Ok, she would say that, but her point is that Srallun puts in a genuine #250k from his own pocket and would not do that for a dork... Although it seems he does!!!

Really? Well they seem to do a pretty good job of picking the stupid.

"bellissimo - let me get the spelling on that but I believe it's either with a b or a v" #Epicfail

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 5 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

It's a TV show and it will be edited to provide a narrative that may not represent reality. When it first started, I found it interesting, but I think it has now just become a parody of itself.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Apr 5 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 5 2012, 09:23 PM) *
It's a TV show and it will be edited to provide a narrative that may not represent reality.

Spot on.

That is not siraluns boardroom. It's a set specially built in the Black Islands studio in Park Royal. (that's why there's no windows).

That's not his P.A. (it's an actress / production assistant)

All candidates are filmed leaving the Viglen offices in St Albans in one shoot.. These are then inserted into the progamme as each one gets fired. That's why sometimes they're not wearing the same clothes they were wearing when they got fired.
In the first couple of series they were filmed leaving the Amstrad 'factory' in Brentwood, but as A.M.S. no longer owns that they went to his Viglen office exterior to film.

Haven't seen much of the new series but the Cafe the losers are sent to was the Bridge Street Cafe in Acton. It probably still is.

Very little in the production of the programme is 'real'. Candidates are eventually chosen for their ability to engender a 'reaction' from the audience. Comination of: Looks, Delusion, and Arrogance. The business idea is WAAAAY down the list. (if it goes tits-up, he'll just write it off against tax.)

Last years winner invented the 's' shaped nail file for 'siralun'. And how we were all waiting for that. Right?

The one from the year before is still suing AMS for wrongful dismissal.

Before that, the winner got herself pregnant after working for only for a few weeks (by the Development Manager) (No jokes please) and never returned to work.

Anyone not chosen to appear on the programme should breathe a sigh of relief.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Apr 5 2012, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Apr 5 2012, 10:00 PM) *
Last years winner invented the 's' shaped nail file for 'siralun'. And how we were all waiting for that. Right?

Nope. He owned the patent and was granted it in 2006

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/p-find-number?csbtyp...sbpub=GB2420974

It has now passed to Aventom Ltd, jointly owned by Tom and Lord Sugar and it's range includes an emergency biscuit file

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Apr 5 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (Darren @ Apr 5 2012, 10:33 PM) *
Nope. He owned the patent and was granted it in 2006

Big difference between thinking of something and bringing it to market. What he patented wasn't quite the same thing.

At Last

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Apr 9 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

When I was young, ( couple of years ago ) ,a curriculum vitae was the appellation given to one's academic and work history to date . It was retained within the cranial cavity and only expressed verbally to a prospective employer when requested at the interview.
Indeed as I quickly discovered later as an employer that the clever ones retained an element of modesty in their presentation because they knew that any form of arrogance would become their nemesis.
Unfortunately television reality ( sic) programmes ,though having no relevance in the real world, are in fact very influential on contemporary behavior which is one of the many reasons we are struggling in today's global climate.
I have occasionally watched the apprentice but found it embarrassing and not very entertaining but maybe I'm just getting to old for this world . sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Apr 9 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

lordtup... CVs are a bit of paper to keep against a rainy day.
I did once have a proper job back in 1968. Dumped that and joined a
"passing show" so to speak. Never once unemployed for 25 years.
"Hey ce do you want this ?" Sure, so another year. There was always another gig,tour,
celeb to greet. I have never had to be interviewed for a job.

I am voicing comments that may have been current during my past life.
Best for people these days to keep a cv updated. And Forget Facebook.
ce

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Apr 9 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Apr 9 2012, 03:26 PM) *
lordtup... CVs are a bit of paper to keep against a rainy day.
I did once have a proper job back in 1968. Dumped that and joined a
"passing show" so to speak. Never once unemployed for 25 years.
"Hey ce do you want this ?" Sure, so another year. There was always another gig,tour,
celeb to greet. I have never had to be interviewed for a job.

I am voicing comments that may have been current during my past life.
Best for people these days to keep a cv updated. And Forget Facebook.
ce

It is always nice to have my faith in human nature refreshed . Those that want to will always achieve something irrespective of their academic promise . Those that have no desire to work take comfort in the knowledge that the long suffering tax payer delights in seeing his hard work being rewarded such. angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Apr 9 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Well over my time before I jumped ship to own property. I was well spoken. ... but not really (clever).
So the chap in the Thames had a point. but it was probably shrivelled when he was hauled out

I was bright but too bored for university.

So I worked from one morning to three days later to turn around a play.
When you are young the hours mingle. I worked all hours,all weekends, all bank holidays,
Boxing Days, Good Fridays, even when the IRA were popping bombs nearby.
That was a long time ago, and I try and look after the garden water supply these days.
Nothing like watering the plants by moonlight
ce

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Apr 19 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Apr 5 2012, 10:00 PM) *
Spot on.

That is not siraluns boardroom. It's a set specially built in the Black Islands studio in Park Royal. (that's why there's no windows).

That's not his P.A. (it's an actress / production assistant)

All candidates are filmed leaving the Viglen offices in St Albans in one shoot.. These are then inserted into the progamme as each one gets fired. That's why sometimes they're not wearing the same clothes they were wearing when they got fired.
In the first couple of series they were filmed leaving the Amstrad 'factory' in Brentwood, but as A.M.S. no longer owns that they went to his Viglen office exterior to film.

Haven't seen much of the new series but the Cafe the losers are sent to was the Bridge Street Cafe in Acton. It probably still is.

Very little in the production of the programme is 'real'. Candidates are eventually chosen for their ability to engender a 'reaction' from the audience. Comination of: Looks, Delusion, and Arrogance. The business idea is WAAAAY down the list. (if it goes tits-up, he'll just write it off against tax.)

The one from the year before is still suing AMS for wrongful dismissal.

Before that, the winner got herself pregnant after working for only for a few weeks (by the Development Manager) (No jokes please) and never returned to work.

Anyone not chosen to appear on the programme should breathe a sigh of relief.

Yes, I agree.

The boardroom set is designed to look as if they are in "The Gherkin" - note the design of the set walls.

The other thing to consider is that with such a low number of "contestants" it is statisically feasible that a white male could "win" for several series in a row - and the BBC would not allow that.

So, good entertainment, but that's all that it is.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 19 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Apr 5 2012, 09:10 AM) *

The answer to your question is no. A lot of the bragging on TV is done to help sell the programme and themselves; i.e. create some sort of empathy with the viewer.

On the CV note; years ago the interviewer could judge your capabilities by how you spoke and your knowledge on a particular subject (i.e. the job). The interviewer was probably a man (or woman) in his/ her late 40s/ 50s; so had plenty of experience judging. Nowadays the interviewer is probably anywhere between 20 and 30 and doesn't have the experience of years. They judge more on what the CVs tell them than what they can gather from observing and questioning you.

A few years ago I went for a job; I was interviewed by a person in their 20s and it seemed I had ticked all the right boxes. He thought my knowledge on the job was exceptional and virtually gave me the job there and then. Then he said "I need to see your CV". I said "fair enough, but why do you need to see my CV if you think I am capable of doing this job?" He replied "well, I need to know if you are intelligent." Which said more about him than me.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 19 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (GMR @ Apr 19 2012, 09:57 PM) *
A few years ago I went for a job; I was interviewed by a person in their 20s and it seemed I had ticked all the right boxes. He thought my knowledge on the job was exceptional and virtually gave me the job there and then. Then he said "I need to see your CV". I said "fair enough, but why do you need to see my CV if you think I am capable of doing this job?" He replied "well, I need to know if you are intelligent." Which said more about him than me.

It is a rare thing to get an interview before submitting a CV.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 19 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 19 2012, 10:17 PM) *
It is a rare thing to get an interview before submitting a CV.

Nowadays; yes. But pre 90s it wasn't.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:50 AM