Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BA Strike, Deliberate attempt to wreck the airline
Bloggo
post May 21 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

As BA post losses of £531m this year on top of £401m last year I find incredulous that the Government is not taking a more visible role in bringing this commercially suicidal strike to a satisfactory conclusion.
Derek Simpson of Unite agrees that changes to working practices will be necessary to bring the airline back to profit but complains that his members views and ideas are being ignored.
Well this is unfortunate and needs to be addressed but the continued viability of the airline should not be held to ransom.
It is well known that BA cabin crew are the best paid and have the most perks than any other airline.
The disruption of thousands of peoples travel plans and the potential to bring down the airline has to stop.
My simpathy is with the airline not the greedy cabin crew.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Torchy
post May 21 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 218

I don't know anyone who prefers to fly BA - and anyone who plans to fly with BA in the coming months has to be more than a little daft as there are plenty of better (in terms of service and value) airlines to choose from.

BA is, I'm afraid, in terminal decline. And it won't be missed.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post May 21 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Torchy @ May 21 2010, 10:46 AM) *
I don't know anyone who prefers to fly BA - and anyone who plans to fly with BA in the coming months has to be more than a little daft as there are plenty of better (in terms of service and value) airlines to choose from.

I do understand your view and am not surprised to hear it said.

I do hope you are wrong about this as it has the potential to be a great airline again and I for one will miss it. But these strikes do look like commercial suicide.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Road User
post May 21 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

Lats year I flew with them and had a great flight and no problems. Flew with them this year and non stop problems. I wrote to them to asdivse them that they needed to imrpove customer service and received a bog standard for letter in response!

I have written again but I doubt if they will take notice! If the stirkes and volcanos don't kill the business then the incredibly poor service will! dry.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 21 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

I doubt it's a deliberate attempt to destroy BA, just stupidity, considering the economic situation aside the volcanic eruption issue. The two sides should perhaps take a leaf out of the government's book, and form a coalition to sort the business out to the advantage of all. Doesn't bother me and mine though, we will be driving to southern Spain this year...

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 21 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Torchy @ May 21 2010, 10:46 AM) *

Agreed, nobody I know has a good word to say about flying with BA, time for them to go the way of the Belgian flag carrier Sabena (remember them?) whch allegedly stood for Such A Bad Experience Never Again tongue.gif

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post May 21 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 223

We have the option of flying BA, Air France or Luxair from Luxembourg to the UK (direct flights). More often than not, booking about a month in advance, Luxiar flights are at least €50 cheaper than BA and much better value! BA flies into to Gatwick, Luxair and Air France into London City. The service received on the Luxair and even Air France (or City Jet as they are now known) flights far outweighs the service received on BA.

BA = expensive, low value for money
Air France = Air Chance, but very good service for the fares
Luxiar = no complaints yet!

Such a shame that another British company is going down the pan.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post May 21 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Bloggo @ May 21 2010, 08:18 AM) *
As BA post losses of £531m this year on top of £401m last year I find incredulous that the Government is not taking a more visible role in bringing this commercially suicidal strike to a satisfactory conclusion.

Why is it the concern of the government? BA is a private company.

I haven't flown with them to the US since I first tried Virgin.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 21 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ May 21 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Why is it the concern of the government? BA is a private company.

I haven't flown with them to the US since I first tried Virgin.

I have been to the states with BA and thought they were very good. I would use them again if I thought that my flight would not get cancelled at the moment I wouldn't. I have also flown there with KLM who were exceptional, and American Airlines (because they sponsor Fulham) who were pretty poor. But probably the cheapest. My point before I ramble on to much is that I think BA were pretty good and whilst not the best, were pretty close.

+Quote Post
Guest_NewburytoNowhere_*
post May 22 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #10

Guests

With BA, most of your money goes on the badge and doesn't represent value for money in a company once the 1st choice for intercontinental travellers.

I still think it is a shame that any company losing money hand over fist, tries to make a few savings and its (very well supported) staff are going to complain... a lot of people realised the recession hit hard and these cabin crew aren't willing realise that?

Serveral other, much better, airlines give their staff a whole lot less every year and they don't strike... I think BA crew should wake up and be greatful they're still employed, if they force BA under, they'll be unemployed and the whole airline business will be shaken, meaning they won't find any more work. It'll have a knock on effect on the rest of the UK economy.

Great, just what we need, high RPI and no inflation again.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 22 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm starting to get a bit fed up of it, if they can't sort it out then they'll go bust. It would be a great shame for those in the company not striking but maybe they need to sort out their colleagues. I just won't fly with them.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 23 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

I've flown BA twice and neither by choice. Once was for business to Jersey and I doubt any flight that short could be good or bad, but the second was coming back from Australia.

We booked with Qantas and had a fantastic flight out but the flight home could not have been more differnent. Because of the one world alliance we flew home on a BA flight, the staff were down right rude and I have never experienced such poor customer service not even on a Ryanair flight.

I would never choose to fly with them ever again

+Quote Post
gel
post May 23 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Unite are on a different planet, and no doubt their ultimate goal is to bring BA back
into public ownership, an area well known for feather bedding. dry.gif
That is unlikely unless The Dep PM wants it, as he seems to be granted all his wishes at the
moment.
The alleged Tory Prime Minister doesn't realise the trojan horse he has given unprecedented
authority to, who'll gladly stab him in the back.

See
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/176671...-100m-playhouse

I hope their members realise the excesses of their union leadership.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:58 AM