Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drinking alcohol outside a school!!
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 68

My daughter has been at St. Nicolas' Junior school for less than a week and I have already had trouble with drunks outside the "Turning Point" centre which is wonderfully located right next to the school gates. A group gathered drinking and using bad language whilst parents and younger children are waiting to collect their kids, who eventually went back inside after finishing their cans. The school's answer was to wait inside the playground, which I couldn't do on Friday as I had my pooch with me, and we would still be within earshot and have to walk past them anyway. No help from the council either, even though the drunks were stood underneath a sign, put up by the council, saying no drinking allowed in public. I guess the next call will be the police on their non-emergency number which is a complete waste of time, and very expensive on their 0845 number. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 7 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Me-again @ Sep 7 2009, 09:53 AM) *
My daughter has been at St. Nicolas' Junior school for less than a week and I have already had trouble with drunks outside the "Turning Point" centre which is wonderfully located right next to the school gates. A group gathered drinking and using bad language whilst parents and younger children are waiting to collect their kids, who eventually went back inside after finishing their cans. The school's answer was to wait inside the playground, which I couldn't do on Friday as I had my pooch with me, and we would still be within earshot and have to walk past them anyway. No help from the council either, even though the drunks were stood underneath a sign, put up by the council, saying no drinking allowed in public. I guess the next call will be the police on their non-emergency number which is a complete waste of time, and very expensive on their 0845 number. Any suggestions?

I pointed this 'problem' out ages ago. It is also a needle exchange so mind yourself when walking. The issue with the drunks is because the council have housed the most notorious drunks in newbury in a top floor flat next to the bakers. They are nearly always innebriated and swearing / causing mayhem. Good luck with the Council. I doubt you will get any joy as it is the 'responsibility' of the Council to provide free social housing, whether people are worthy of it or not. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Whether or not these drunks lived locally or not I don't know, but they were certainly from the turning point centre. After having read up on this establishment, that I didn't even know existed, it would appear that they are there to give up the drink, so why let them stand outside boozing? And I guess its the tax payer that provides this "treatment" for them too!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 7 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Me-again @ Sep 7 2009, 10:03 AM) *
Whether or not these drunks lived locally or not I don't know, but they were certainly from the turning point centre. After having read up on this establishment, that I didn't even know existed, it would appear that they are there to give up the drink, so why let them stand outside boozing? And I guess its the tax payer that provides this "treatment" for them too!

Yes we pay for the prescriptions as well as the methadone top ups out of our PAYE. Meanwhile I have to pay £14.40 a month for my prescriptions. Its a great system.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 7 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Sep 7 2009, 09:58 AM) *
The issue with the drunks is because the council have housed the most notorious drunks in newbury in a top floor flat next to the bakers.

TDH, I'm confused. There is no bakers as far as I know in Link Road/Station Road.

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

It is just round the corner in Bart Street, just next to the bridge

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 7 2009, 09:36 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 7 2009, 10:31 AM) *
TDH, I'm confused. There is no bakers as far as I know in Link Road/Station Road.

Batholomew Steet is very close to that end of Station Road. Try opposite Stan James Bookmakers

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 7 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Oh, Hetherington's. But why would they walk all the way down there to drink their booze?

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I was not complaining about locals, but people from the turning point centre whose door is right next to the back gate for St Nics. TD&H merely pointed out that there are some drunks that live above the bakery.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Sep 7 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 7 2009, 10:42 AM) *
Oh, Hetherington's. But why would they walk all the way down there to drink their booze?

Because they buy their special brew at the off license in cheap street and walk back.
Opposite Cheap Street is Station Road and the Turning Point centre. They drink their booze next to the sign warning them they will get fined £500 if they drink in that area. What a joke.
This is a SIGNIFICANT problem for people in this area and their lives are blighted by the activities of these people.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 7 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I know this is slightly off on a tangent but are you not allowed to take your pooch into the school playground? I know you shouldn't have too, I was just curious.

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

We would get strung up at the mention of taking a dog in the playground. I can fully understand, if they were to allow me in with my friendly,clean, well behaved doggies, then they would have to allow all in. And as we know, not everybody cleans up behind their dogs and some are a bit bouncy and excitable to be around too many kids.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 7 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

This is a matter for the Police - those concerned are committing an offence; from what you say, more than one. So PLEASE tell the Police and ideally reinforce by getting a few other mothers to do the same... If still no action, let us know!!!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Sep 7 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Well I have done a bit of work. I have found out the name and number of the police officer that deals with antisocial behaviour including drinking in this area. She is on holiday until Monday but I am keeping a record of problems and speaking to other parents in the meantime. I have also found out that there is a Neighbourhood Action Group meeting at the end of the month that I think is attended by police and council people so will round up a few mothers and pop along. It would appear that there has been more trouble since they changed the drop in times at the centre.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 7 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Me-again @ Sep 7 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Well I have done a bit of work. I have found out the name and number of the police officer that deals with antisocial behaviour including drinking in this area. She is on holiday until Monday but I am keeping a record of problems and speaking to other parents in the meantime. I have also found out that there is a Neighbourhood Action Group meeting at the end of the month that I think is attended by police and council people so will round up a few mothers and pop along. It would appear that there has been more trouble since they changed the drop in times at the centre.

That's really positive, well done you! Keep us informed of how things turn out.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 8 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

How does this place warrant the name "Turning Point" then?

What does it actually do?

You have mentioned dishing out drugs at our expense!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 8 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

A drop-in centre would not be issuing drugs like Methadone. These are strictly controlled on prescription and doses are given out by pharmacies to be taken there and then.

I've seen them measuring out a dose in a pharmacy and they are very precise - probably to the nearest ml judging by the pouring and re-pouring that was going on.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Sep 8 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I agreet that the police have a part to play here but can't Turning Point themselves take some responsibility for those that attend their premises? If they have people attending for drug / alcohol issues then they should not be allowed to stand in the street drinking. If they are seen by staff to do so, then they get banned from Turning Point.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:34 PM