3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How low will they stoop?, Parking charges on New Year's Day
BMR
post Jan 1 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 372

Just how low will West Berkshire Council stoop. I stopped in one of the nearly empty car parks in Newbury today (New Year's Day) to see the Green Goblin putting parking tickets on a number of cars which had not paid for parking tickets. Yes - since 1st January is on a Saturday, it is not a Bank Holiday, and therefore, as the sign confirms, "Normal parking charges apply". Come on. It is New Year's Day.

I was fortunate - I saw the Green Goblin, and since I only had 20 minutes before meeting someone, I beat a hasty retreat, and left the car park. Many others were less fortunate, and got a surprise when they got back to their cars.

So, I have made a New Year resolution. I won't pay for a parking ticket in Newbury. Either I will shop when I can park for free, or I will go to the various retail parks, or I will go to Reading or Basingstoke.

Happy New Year.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 1 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Andover is a great little town, we have started going there quite a lot, parking at Asda.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Bizarre. You're berating them when you've also identified that "Normal parking charges apply" and you've decided to make your life more difficult and to go to Reading or Basingstoke where they were also charging for parking yesterday.

As they say up North, there's nowt so strange as folk.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jan 2 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 2 2011, 09:01 AM) *
Bizarre. You're berating them when you've also identified that "Normal parking charges apply" and you've decided to make your life more difficult and to go to Reading or Basingstoke where they were also charging for parking yesterday.

As they say up North, there's nowt so strange as folk.

I am stunned, I finally agree with User 23. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Why are people complaining about Parking charges in Newbury? I always park in Newbury and i park for free; Sainsbury's. There is also Halfords and side streets you can park for free. Nobody should have to pay while shopping in Newbury. Unless of course you don't know Newbury.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I think parking charges on New Years Day is a little bit much. Same on Christmas Day.A friend of mine went out drinking on New Years Eve, leaving their car in town to collect on New Years Day afternoon. Imagine the shock she got collecting her car yesterday? What do the council suggest? Drink Driving? There were no trains, no busses and a taxi from Newbury to Thatcham was just over £20.

I did what I suppose most people did. Stay at home or visit friends within walking distance!!!

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 10:48 AM) *
I think parking charges on New Years Day is a little bit much. Same on Christmas Day.A friend of mine went out drinking on New Years Eve, leaving their car in town to collect on New Years Day afternoon. Imagine the shock she got collecting her car yesterday? What do the council suggest? Drink Driving? There were no trains, no busses and a taxi from Newbury to Thatcham was just over £20.

I did what I suppose most people did. Stay at home or visit friends within walking distance!!!
Is this Labour policy, that parking charges shouldn't apply to those who go out drinking the night before?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Not at all. I just personally think that to charge people on New Years Day is a bit much. Did you go into town yesterday? Were there many shops open? Also, did the parking attendent get any additional pay for working yesterday?

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 10:54 AM) *
Not at all. I just personally think that to charge people on New Years Day is a bit much. Did you go into town yesterday? Were there many shops open? Also, did the parking attendent get any additional pay for working yesterday?
Most of the shops in town were open. I doubt very much whether many people got additional pay for working yesterday.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 10:48 AM) *

There are taxi's and if people live close enough to Newbury they could walk in. But it is stupid if they are going to drink and take their cars.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

All retail staff got paid extra yesterday as Xmas Day, New Years and Easter are classed as bank holidays. I didn't know if it was retail specific or if it applied to all sectors. If it does, that would suggest yesterday was in fact a bank holiday.

GMR, I simply suggesting that with no bus or train, and the high cost of taxi's which not everybody can afford, some people could be stupid enough to drive home. It happens all through the year, not just Christmas and New Year. At Christmas and New Year, we should be doing everything to discourage drink driving.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 2 2011, 11:13 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 11:10 AM) *
All retail staff got paid extra yesterday as Xmas Day, New Years and Easter are classed as bank holidays. I didn't know if it was retail specific or if it applied to all sectors. If it does, that would suggest yesterday was in fact a bank holiday.

GMR, I simply suggesting that with no bus or train, and the high cost of taxi's which not everybody can afford, some people could be stupid enough to drive home. It happens all through the year, not just Christmas and New Year. At Christmas and New Year, we should be doing everything to discourage drink driving.
All retail staff? How do you know this?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 11:10 AM) *

I wasn't encouraging drink driving. I was just suggesting that there are alternatives. The trouble with what you are suggesting (leaving the car overnight) is that people will abuse it and spoil it for everybody else.

Didn't your friend have a pub near him? Not all pub pleasure is in town.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I used to be a senior manager for a supermarket retailer. I would suggest that the parking attendant was on at least time and a half plus a day in lieu after talking to a West Berks employee this morning. If the council recognise the day as bank holiday for employees, why not parking?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jan 2 2011, 11:23 AM) *
I wasn't encouraging drink driving. I was just suggesting that there are alternatives. The trouble with what you are suggesting (leaving the car overnight) is that people will abuse it and spoil it for everybody else.

Didn't your friend have a pub near him? Not all pub pleasure is in town.

All I'm suggesting is that people should be allowed to leave their car overnight on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Or there could be a late night bus route like in other towns? Not everyone can afford taxi's.

I think she lives near a number of pubs, but if her friends are going to Newbury, why shouldn't she. I told her it was a silly decision to drive as it had been well publicised that charges were being enforced on Christmas and New Year in the paper. Her response was "I don't read the paper"!!!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 11:27 AM) *
All I'm suggesting is that people should be allowed to leave their car overnight on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Or there could be a late night bus route like in other towns? Not everyone can afford taxi's.

I think she lives near a number of pubs, but if her friends are going to Newbury, why shouldn't she. I told her it was a silly decision to drive as it had been well publicised that charges were being enforced on Christmas and New Year in the paper. Her response was "I don't read the paper"!!!

She may not read the papers but I presume she's got a brain? Therefore she should have engaged it and asked. That is what I would have done. For her inability to think she is now paying the price.

Why couldn't one of her friends give her a lift? If they were going that way.

I do agree, however, that it would be nice if the local council thought of those things... but then again we are talking about WBC.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 2 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I will have to ask her, but I presume they all left their cars in town. Nice little earner for the council, but I still think they could of done it differently.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 2 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 12:08 PM) *
I will have to ask her, but I presume they all left their cars in town. Nice little earner for the council, but I still think they could of done it differently.

I'm surprised at you.

For someone who spends their waking life poring over everything the council does looking for the smallest error & instance of them not following their own policy to the letter, I'd would have thought you'd be applauding the council for its actions.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Jan 2 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Expecting a council to do something differently would be a step too far. Their objective is themselves, not their public.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 2 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 2 2011, 12:57 PM) *
I'm surprised at you.

For someone who spends their waking life poring over everything the council does looking for the smallest error & instance of them not following their own policy to the letter, I'd would have thought you'd be applauding the council for its actions.

To be fair isn't it the public's duty to hold our councils and councillors to count and check every detail? At least he cares, not many on here can say that.

Also; he is giving you (the members on here) something to debate instead of the usual rubbish you get on this forum.

If our friend didn't exist we'd have to invent him.

Happy New year.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:01 AM