IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it completely unreasonable to expect a decent Vodafone 3G signal in central Newbury?, .
Sherlock
post Oct 24 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

Last time I expressed my dissatisfaction with Vodafone here some joker replied (he wasn't actually joking) along the lines of 'just because Vodafone is based here it wasn't reasonable to expect a decent service from them'. 'They don't have a huge aerial on their HQ you know', the joker explained, perhaps not understanding that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

But I'm still hacked off with them and can't wait until my current contract expires to move to another provider.

They dodge taxes on a huge scale and don't bother to provide a decent 3G service in the centre of one of the hubs of the UK's silicon valley. What's not to like?*

It's still like the Somme out there by the way.

*n.b. that's irony, not sarcasm.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 24 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Oct 24 2012, 02:27 PM) *
It's still like the Somme out there by the way.

In the Mud-o-Meter levels it's nearer Passchendeale

As for the VF signal I've always assumed that O2 and other service providers almost deliberately target places like Newbury (and their other competitors HQs) and use clever methods to interfere and drown out the Vodafone signal locally to give them a bad name in their 'home town'*

* - Not much longer before Newbury is no longer the home town for Vodafone I reckon...

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Oct 24 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

Last time I expressed my dissatisfaction with Vodafone here some joker replied (he wasn't actually joking) along the lines of 'just because Vodafone is based here it wasn't reasonable to expect a decent service from them'.

I would guess he was probably trying to make a point that, just because their HQ is here, doesn't mean that Newbury will have the best VF signal in the UK. And he'd be right! I think the number of masts in any location in the UK simply comes down to population and possibly one or two local limitations.

You can go here...

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

...and see who has what masts in the area.

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Oct 24 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

*n.b. that's irony,

No it's not.

And is not the correct phrase "sarcasm is the lowest form of humor but the highest form of wit" or something along those lines?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 6 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Reviving this thread, because I have just discovered that the 'H' you see in the status bar instead of '3G' stands for HSPA which is in fact faster and better than 3G, and is sometimes nicknamed 3.5G.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 6 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 6 2012, 10:49 AM) *
Reviving this thread, because I have just discovered that the 'H' you see in the status bar instead of '3G' stands for HSPA which is in fact faster and better than 3G, and is sometimes nicknamed 3.5G.

Hadn't realised that - I will stop having that internal groan when I see the 3G replaced by an H.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 6 2012, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Exactly.........

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Nov 6 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

I lost patience with Vodafone a while back, which is why I have just switched from them to T-Mobile or EE as they are now known. Does anybody know what the "E" that sometimes replaces the "3G" means?

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Nov 6 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ Nov 6 2012, 02:03 PM) *
I lost patience with Vodafone a while back, which is why I have just switched from them to T-Mobile or EE as they are now known. Does anybody know what the "E" that sometimes replaces the "3G" means?

It means Edge, which is sometimes displayed as 2.5G and is an enhancement from standard 2G/GPRS.

+Quote Post
MoonPhoenix
post Nov 6 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 413

The E = 384kbps max circuit switched data.
Ie, what the average landline pulled in 2001.

HSPA Is essentially obsolete tech too, that manages a max of 8mbps. As most networks are currently half-way through upgrading to HSPA+ with a max of 21mbps.

I always got good results off Three within the town centre. Typically pulling the theoretical max of 8mbps at any time of day I've tried.
Three are upgrading their network within west berks to HSPA+ right this moment. Which is the result of the really spotty service and basically everything being randomly broken on and off over the last couple of weeks within the area. But having played on the test network. When there done it will be pretty sweat

HSPA+ is not 4g.... But the salesmen will tell you it is for the sake of their commision.
The LTE that EE just launched last week however is.

I find that the dongles you get given for free by the networks are all cheap barely there devices. much like the rubbish free usb modems that adsl providers used to give away. Your best just shoving it in a draw and buying your own connection hardware. It's not expensive, and results in infinitly better signal and performance.

I've had great results with the 40mbps HSPA+ duel diversity 3G dongles. Ok, none of the networks will run at that speed. But the vastly improved receive circuitry results in much clearer signals anywhere you take it. And if your not using an external antenna with your dongle. They dont cost much and make a massive improvement. And they work with any dongle provided you buy the correct pigtails, except the cheap things vodafone give away. because they left the physical connector off the device to save money.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Nov 6 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Yeah, what he said!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 6 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I thought he was a she.

+Quote Post
MoonPhoenix
post Nov 6 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 413

So did I. That'll explain the strange looks. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Nov 7 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 6 2012, 07:45 PM) *
I thought he was a she.

And that their Great Auntie was the president of Kazakhstan as well.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Spider
post Nov 7 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

I have Vodafone but I noticed that when I go into some areas my signals goes. Which surprises me as their headquarters are in Newbury. Would I be any better off looking for another mobile phone? company?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 7 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Spider @ Nov 7 2012, 06:09 PM) *
Which surprises me as their headquarters are in Newbury.

Well, the BBC's headquarters are in London (or maybe Salford), but I get a surprisingly good TV signal here.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 7 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I have Vodafone but I noticed that when I go into some areas my signals goes. Which surprises me as their headquarters are in Newbury. Would I be any better off looking for another mobile phone? company?

Same mindset as asking why dealers in Birmingham didn't all have every derivative of Austin's range on the forecourt for immediate delivery all the time....

+Quote Post
Spider
post Nov 7 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

QUOTE (JeffG @ Nov 7 2012, 07:48 PM) *
Well, the BBC's headquarters are in London (or maybe Salford), but I get a surprisingly good TV signal here.

I would imagine their equipment is totally different.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 7 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

I thought Vodafone moved their HQ to London after Chris Gent retired and his replacement had no interest in spending his time out in the sticks.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 7 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Spider @ Nov 7 2012, 09:14 PM) *
I would imagine their equipment is totally different.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. The point is why should the location of a company's headquarters have any effect on your experience of their product?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:21 PM