> Breaking The Law, Travelling through red lights
Biker1
post Jan 16 2014, 10:12 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2014, 11:35 AM) *
Unless you can't get in. Then it's embarrassing. I think I've said before that since most of the traffic in the left lane at that point is for A4 West or town centre, the lanes should be marked differently so it's the right lane that expands into two, not the left one.

PS. I hadn't noticed that it's downhill from Sainsbury's to the Robin Hood smile.gif

I just go straight to the front!! tongue.gif wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 16 2014, 10:12 AM) *
I just go straight to the front!! tongue.gif wink.gif

I have notice that bikers tend to travel in the lane marked with white paint across its entire width. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 16 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 15 2014, 11:33 PM) *
Sorry mate, at no point have I ever said that.
I have never been forced to go up the A34. I have said that I have forced others. I am not a moron and so I'm always in the correct lane , 100%.

An unfortunate attempt to make me look bad..

Sorry, my apology it was Strafin that made the comment
The lane layout should be changed back to how it once was, I always stay in the right lane and pull across because there is very rarely anyone in the middle lane; and queuing to turn left for half an hour seems ridiculous if you don't actually want to turn left. I have once had to actually go up the ramp because there was too much traffic and I felt I had taken the risk knowing that might happen so accepted it rather than cutting anybody up.
Where I got confused was your reply
I done that once to a Ford Mondeo. Shouldn't try to be a ***t then should they.
Probably wouldn't do it again though.

And my reply was
That sounds typical of your driving skills. Aggressive, always in the right and sod anybody else.
So, there it is. Please accept my apologies but I believe Strafin had the right solution and was clear that he didn't cut anybody up.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Jan 16 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 14 2014, 12:59 PM) *
That's what I thought, rather than spout the law, get out there and be bloody police men and direct the traffic you numpties!

they wouldnt be allowed to do that due to health and safety and wouldnt be surprised if asked they would not know what to do

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 16 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (desres123 @ Jan 16 2014, 09:33 PM) *
they wouldnt be allowed to do that due to health and safety and wouldnt be surprised if asked they would not know what to do

I know what you mean, but my main point was the comment was totally unhelpful.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 16 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 16 2014, 07:18 AM) *
I think you have said in the past that you come down the hill from Sainsburys and change lanes somewhere nearer the roundabout. I do the same, it is people who insist on queuing for no reason that cause that tailbacks. Lanes are there to move the traffic flow along and should be maximised where possible, and within reason.

OH yes, I do that. Because exactly as you say, people queue up in the left hand lane to take the first exist at the "first part" of the roundabout down the road towards the Traveledge and the Town Centre. My view of that part is, by the time you clear the first initial set of traffic lights you should be in the right lane..

However this is different to a last minute veering maneuver that Exhaustable is trying to insinuate I've done! laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 17 2014, 10:37 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 16 2014, 09:21 PM) *
Sorry, my apology it was Strafin that made the comment
The lane layout should be changed back to how it once was, I always stay in the right lane and pull across because there is very rarely anyone in the middle lane; and queuing to turn left for half an hour seems ridiculous if you don't actually want to turn left. I have once had to actually go up the ramp because there was too much traffic and I felt I had taken the risk knowing that might happen so accepted it rather than cutting anybody up.
Where I got confused was your reply
I done that once to a Ford Mondeo. Shouldn't try to be a ***t then should they.
Probably wouldn't do it again though.

And my reply was
That sounds typical of your driving skills. Aggressive, always in the right and sod anybody else.
So, there it is. Please accept my apologies but I believe Strafin had the right solution and was clear that he didn't cut anybody up.

Blimey, glad that's cleared up but it must have taken a while to find that!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 17 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Some people have plenty of time on their hands, haha,
All good with me. Strafin in that case going up was simply doing what anyone who was in the wrong lane should do, accept the 2 minute delay on their journey and carry on without causing an accident laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2014, 11:23 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 14 2014, 12:59 PM) *
That's what I thought, rather than spout the law, get out there and be bloody police men and direct the traffic you numpties!

QUOTE (desres123 @ Jan 16 2014, 09:33 PM) *

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2014, 09:43 PM) *

Huh? I'm assuming the Health and Safety comment was tongue in cheek. Directing traffic is one of the things the police are trained to do. Bog standard point duty.

Most roundabouts would work by themselves if the lights failed, but that wouldn't happen on the Robin Hood because of its design. There is nothing coming from its right to stop the southbound traffic from the A339. so no other junction would get a look-in at busy periods.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 17 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Sure there is! All the traffic coming around from under the bridge, is that where you mean?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 17 2014, 11:33 AM) *
Sure there is! All the traffic coming around from under the bridge, is that where you mean?

No. I am talking about the Robin Hood itself. There is nothing to stop the joint traffic coming from the junction you are talking about once it reaches the Robin Hood. Traffic from Shaw and Thatcham A4 would never get out under normal roundabout rules without control.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 17 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 16 2014, 09:43 PM) *

you'd need to know the full context in which it was made.

I have a feeling the NWN have been a little economic in their reporting. You know, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

btw - I'm not a police officer.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 17 2014, 11:48 AM) *
you'd need to know the full context in which it was made. I have a feeling the NWN have been a little economic in their reporting. You know, never let the truth get in the way of a good story. btw - I'm not a police officer.

We know! tongue.gif

I realise what you are saying is the case, but the comment is still unhelpful, whether it is poor editing by the journalist or was a complete short statement made by the TVP

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 17 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 17 2014, 01:09 PM) *
We know! tongue.gif

I realise what you are saying is the case, but the comment is still unhelpful, whether it is poor editing by the journalist or was a complete short statement made by the TVP

My guess is that it was the only 'interesting' part of a statement made by TVP & being a good journalist the reporter used it knowing that it wouold be the bit that would generate the most comment.

If the law states that a red light cannot be passed, then TVP would have to state that anyone crossing a red light would be committing an offence if asked.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 17 2014, 02:03 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 17 2014, 01:29 PM) *
My guess is that it was the only 'interesting' part of a statement made by TVP & being a good journalist the reporter used it knowing that it wouold be the bit that would generate the most comment.

I don't see that as being a 'good journalist'. I see it as a being a lazy one. If I was a journalist, I would have asked: What would your advice be if people approached a similar event in the future?

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 17 2014, 01:29 PM) *
If the law states that a red light cannot be passed, then TVP would have to state that anyone crossing a red light would be committing an offence if asked.

How I see it, obstruction of the highway is also an offence.

I believe that prosecuting these offences are discretionary. Whether it is a journalistic faux pas, or a clumsy statement by the police spokesman, it would be useful if we could glean something useful out of all this.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:10 PM