IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Thatcham's Christmas Munificence, Who says we have no money for essential services?
On the edge
post Dec 4 2013, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

£8,000 isn't a huge amount, but would make a significant difference to a school lollipop lady budget. I thought the idea of charity was to raise money or time from your peers to undertake good works that the public purse can't do. I'm sure it makes our Councillors feel good to annually hand out our hard earned cash to various 'good causes', some of whom had just asked for money. Without even saying how it would be spent. Perhaps this means that austerity is now over and we can forget about all the nasty financial cuts planned for next year! Let the good times roll.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Exhausted
post Dec 4 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 4 2013, 07:23 PM) *
£8,000 isn't a huge amount, but would make a significant difference to a school lollipop lady budget. I thought the idea of charity was to raise money or time from your peers to undertake good works that the public purse can't do. I'm sure it makes our Councillors feel good to annually hand out our hard earned cash to various 'good causes', some of whom had just asked for money. Without even saying how it would be spent. Perhaps this means that austerity is now over and we can forget about all the nasty financial cuts planned for next year! Let the good times roll.

Have I missed something. What was the donation about.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 4 2013, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2013/chariti...am-town-council

As above.

The annual ceremony which we have in place of the previous idea where the deserving poor turn up at big house for a dole from his lordship.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 4 2013, 10:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

As the headline says: Charities benefit from more than £8k of grants from Thatcham Town Council

So Kennet Community Radio is a charity now? It's just I can't see it registered on the Charity Commission web site.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Lolly
post Dec 4 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,763

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 4 2013, 10:14 PM) *
As the headline says: Charities benefit from more than £8k of grants from Thatcham Town Council

So Kennet Community Radio is a charity now? It's just I can't see it registered on the Charity Commission web site.

Just been looking at the charity commission web site for another thread. Must admit I find the whole 'charity'/'not for profit' sector rather confusing and non transparent, but I'm guessing Kennet Community Radio could fall under the 'not for profit' category with income less than £5,000? Extract below is from Charity Commission web site.

When to register
Charities can be unregistered or registered. Find out when to - and when not to - register your charity with us

When you should register
Usually, you must register with us if your charity:

has over £5,000 income per year
is subject to the High Courts’ charity law jurisdiction (see What makes a charity (CC4), part 5)
- See more at: http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/start-...h.kzLdHWJm.dpuf

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Dec 5 2013, 01:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 4 2013, 10:14 PM) *

Old boy network still working then - isn't JSH from West Berks / NTC involved in Kennet Radio?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 5 2013, 07:14 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 5 2013, 12:14 AM) *

Is that still going?
I tuned in a few times a couple of weeks ago but now I can't find it.
Was somewhat amateurish, but early days and played some good sounds.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 5 2013, 08:00 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

What this actually means is that our local Councillors must feel that an amateur radio station is more important than lollipop ladies at our local schools?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 5 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 5 2013, 07:14 AM) *
Is that still going?
I tuned in a few times a couple of weeks ago but now I can't find it.
Was somewhat amateurish, but early days and played some good sounds.

It only had a 3 week trial licence on FM, so it's back to Internet only until the full licences come up - I think they are hoping to get on air properly next year somewhen.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 4 2013, 07:23 PM) *

If the parents wanting to keep their lollipop ladies/men took your advice from a previous thread & formed a volunteer group to do the job in hand & then called that volunteer group a charity, they too could go cap in hand next year to ask for some cash from the same budgeted pool of cash.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 5 2013, 11:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 5 2013, 09:46 AM) *
If the parents wanting to keep their lollipop ladies/men took your advice from a previous thread & formed a volunteer group to do the job in hand & then called that volunteer group a charity, they too could go cap in hand next year to ask for some cash from the same budgeted pool of cash.

A few hundred quid is not going to pay for many lollipop hours! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 5 2013, 11:53 AM) *
A few hundred quid is not going to pay for many lollipop hours! tongue.gif

they'd be volunteers........so it would pay for a few uniforms......

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 5 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

That's the whole issue! There should not be a 'budgeted pool of cash' simply so Councillors can play Lady Bountiful particularly at times of severe economic stress.

Yes, it's only a small amount of cash, but as the saying goes, every little helps. It's existence also demonstrates an attitude of mind, i.e the cuts aren't serious.

Ironic, the LibDems have suggested that the Council should stop serving sandwiches at meetings, NWN report says this would save £8,000 - the very sum Thatcham Parish has just pished away!

You couldn't make this up laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 5 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

.......from the same budgeted pool of cash.

One of the worst failings of public servants is to fail to understand that a budget is a plan to spend, not approval. Just because you have a budget, doesn't mean you must spend it.

Their present limited grasp of this basic accounting concept costs us many millions as they rush to spend every penny by the end of the financial year - needed or not.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 5 2013, 01:27 PM) *
That's the whole issue! There should not be a 'budgeted pool of cash' simply so Councillors can play Lady Bountiful particularly at times of severe economic stress.

Yes, it's only a small amount of cash, but as the saying goes, every little helps. It's existence also demonstrates an attitude of mind, i.e the cuts aren't serious.

Ironic, the LibDems have suggested that the Council should stop serving sandwiches at meetings, NWN report says this would save £8,000 - the very sum Thatcham Parish has just pished away!

You couldn't make this up laugh.gif

Donating to local good causes is pissing money away?

I would imagine that the donation of cash in times of 'severe economic stress' is welcomed by the recipients.

Sandwiches should not be served at meetings. However, that will mean £8,000 less business for whichever local establishment is currently providing them.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 01:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 5 2013, 01:32 PM) *
One of the worst failings of public servants is to fail to understand that a budget is a plan to spend, not approval. Just because you have a budget, doesn't mean you must spend it.

Their present limited grasp of this basic accounting concept costs us many millions as they rush to spend every penny by the end of the financial year - needed or not.

Everyone knows that if you don't spend it you won't get as much next year.

Anyway it keeps the wheels of industry turning. As I pointed out above re the sandwiches.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 5 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 5 2013, 01:33 PM) *
Donating to local good causes is pissing money away?

I would imagine that the donation of cash in times of 'severe economic stress' is welcomed by the recipients.

Sandwiches should not be served at meetings. However, that will mean £8,000 less business for whichever local establishment is currently providing them.

Given the noise they've been making I wonder if the parents of local school children feel that their child's safety is less important than a hobby radio station.

To help the local economy, I suppose you'd also think it reasonable that we should pay for staff clothes as well!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 5 2013, 04:07 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Dec 5 2013, 01:35 PM) *
Everyone knows that if you don't spend it you won't get as much next year.

Anyway it keeps the wheels of industry turning. As I pointed out above re the sandwiches.

The only private firm I've ever worked for who took that attitude went under quite quickly. Must admit, I've also been employed by some that are kept going by the March Money Shower, and did they shift some junk. Frankly, it's real jobs we need, not the 'let's pretend' ones.

Still, one good thing at least, next letter I get asking for support for a local cause can be rejected as we are already donating via the business rate.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 04:35 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 5 2013, 04:07 PM) *
The only private firm I've ever worked for who took that attitude went under quite quickly. Must admit, I've also been employed by some that are kept going by the March Money Shower, and did they shift some junk. Frankly, it's real jobs we need, not the 'let's pretend' ones.

Still, one good thing at least, next letter I get asking for support for a local cause can be rejected as we are already donating via the business rate.

As a whole you can't do that in a private firm, but individually cost centred businesses certain do do exactly that.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 5 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 5 2013, 04:00 PM) *
Given the noise they've been making I wonder if the parents of local school children feel that their child's safety is less important than a hobby radio station.

To help the local economy, I suppose you'd also think it reasonable that we should pay for staff clothes as well!

I said sandwiches should not be given out foc to staff, despite the impact that would have locally.

But if there is a uniform allowance, best to shop locally, eh.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:46 PM