IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '5 jobs go' as Spotted Dog told to remove their Marquee!
Andy Capp
post Mar 13 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Apparently, a retrospective planning application has failed and the landlord has to take a marquee down at the rear of the pub: he says he doesn't need the staff if it goes. He is also withdrawing car parking for St Mark's. Not only that, but some local groups who he let 'use for free' will have to find somewhere else too.

**** hath no fury as a pub landlord scorned!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 13 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I didn't know of this pub before now. Looks like a good place to take relatives when they are visiting. Serves food on a Monday, too, unlike most country pubs in the area.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 13 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It is good, and they do Italian food as well, pizzas and things for people who don't want the usual pub fare. And is understand they are extending their al fresco area wink.gif

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Mar 14 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

Shows real community spirit doesn't it?

Not entirely sure what you could 'charge' for having a meeting in a plastic marquee in a pub car park and this does seem to be punishing the wrong people (school kids/mums) and are we expected to believe that 5 people will now lose their jobs because a tent has to go?

The marquee (or 'marquis' according to the retrospective planning application biggrin.gif) is not actually at the back of the pub but at the front, in full view of the road and has no sound insulation.

Pleasant enough pub... especially popular with pensioners and kids... if that's your bag.

--------------------
You can't shake hands with a clenched fist

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Mar 14 2014, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Ooops - sorry double post!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 14 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ Mar 14 2014, 11:21 AM) *
Shows real community spirit doesn't it?

They are not a charity, and if the council lack 'charity', then it follows the landlord will not feel like it either.

The marquee (or 'marquis' according to the retrospective planning application biggrin.gif) is not actually at the back of the pub but at the front, in full view of the road and has no sound insulation.

There's none in the middle of summer when people are outside belching and swearing either. tongue.gif

However, if the marquee is at the front next to the road, then I can see that as being a rather ugly spectacle. It seems funny that this can be deemed excessive, yet buildings like Newbury cinema can get built! huh.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 14 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 14 2014, 11:48 AM) *
There's none in the middle of summer when people are outside belching and swearing either. tongue.gif

Is that your accurate review of this pub?

If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like somewhere I'd like to visit after all.

Nothing wrong with the cinema, unless you think it should have been built for example in the Palladian style with pillars etc.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 14 2014, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 14 2014, 01:47 PM) *
Is that your accurate review of this pub?

If that's the case, then it doesn't sound like somewhere I'd like to visit after all.

Have you had your sense of humour gland removed, or something? rolleyes.gif

Nothing wrong with the cinema, unless you think it should have been built for example in the Palladian style with pillars etc.

It is an obscene and incongruous building, in my view. wink.gif

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Mar 14 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Not sure which would be worse...belching pensioners and swearing kids or vice versa laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 14 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 14 2014, 02:02 PM) *
Have you had your sense of humour gland removed, or something? rolleyes.gif

No. It just seems an odd thing to say.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 14 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Mar 14 2014, 03:06 PM) *
No. It just seems an odd thing to say.

Please be advised that this emoticon: tongue.gif means that someone is posting something with 'tongue-in-cheek', and should not necessarily be taken at face value. wink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 14 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The marquee is not actually at the back of the pub but at the front, in full view of the road and has no sound insulation.

You must be thinking of a different Spotted Dog?

This pub is immediately next door to The Castle Inn near the top of Cold Ash Hill on Gladstone Lane (The Castle is a better pub in my view and serves better bitter...) The marquee in question has been stood in the back car park off the toilets area for some time now. I'd say it would be an effort to see it as 'full view' from the road as the car park entrance is raised up on a slope.

I would however agree that a plastic marquee which has been stood out in all weathers for some time becomes a bit tatty and an eyesore unless regularly cleaned. The inside isn't too bad in a 'cheap function' type of way.

As for noise, well any pub landlords worth their salt are doing everything they can to drum up business and keep the business viable. The local residents have benefited for years from having two pubs on their doorstep which have fairly sleepy businesses. Now that one is having more regular functions throughout the year rather than just at New Year then I'd say the locals should just suck it up. They chose to live there. The pubs have been there for decades.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 14 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

re sound insulation:
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 14 2014, 11:48 AM) *
There's none in the middle of summer when people are outside belching and swearing either.

I think Andy could be referring to any pub, not just The Spotted Dog. I take it you're not much of a pub goer? They all have their fair share of belching swearers... normally stood outside having a fag.

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Mar 14 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 14 2014, 05:28 PM) *
You must be thinking of a different Spotted Dog?

This pub is immediately next door to The Castle Inn near the top of Cold Ash Hill on Gladstone Lane (The Castle is a better pub in my view and serves better bitter...) The marquee in question has been stood in the back car park off the toilets area for some time now. I'd say it would be an effort to see it as 'full view' from the road as the car park entrance is raised up on a slope.

I would however agree that a plastic marquee which has been stood out in all weathers for some time becomes a bit tatty and an eyesore unless regularly cleaned. The inside isn't too bad in a 'cheap function' type of way.

As for noise, well any pub landlords worth their salt are doing everything they can to drum up business and keep the business viable. The local residents have benefited for years from having two pubs on their doorstep which have fairly sleepy businesses. Now that one is having more regular functions throughout the year rather than just at New Year then I'd say the locals should just suck it up. They chose to live there. The pubs have been there for decades.

Nope, not thinking of any other Spotted Dog and I know exactly where it is and yes, it is next door to The Castle.

The marquee is certainly fully visible from Gladstone Lane (where it is situated) and, whilst it is very laudable for the landlord to try to keep in business, this pub has thrived under previous managers without recourse to erecting white plastic non-sound-proofed 'temporary' structures.

As many local residents may have lived in the village for some time and must have known about the presence of both pubs (some may even have moved there for that very reason!), I doubt many of them would have expected extended pub opening hours, smokers congregating outside to have a quick (or not so) fag and the increasing desperation of landlords to drum up business using such enterprising ideas as take-away pizza deliveries and the hosting of live bands, effectively, outside at night.

Locals probably do 'suck it up' - the beer that is, as I believe they represent a large proportion of the clientele. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 14 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (wabbit @ Mar 14 2014, 05:53 PM) *
The marquee is certainly fully visible from Gladstone Lane (where it is situated)

That isn't the front of the pub (like you said it was).

and, whilst it is very laudable for the landlord to try to keep in business, this pub has thrived under previous managers without recourse to erecting white plastic non-sound-proofed 'temporary' structures.

I suspect previous owners didn't have it so hard as the current landlord either.

As many local residents may have lived in the village for some time and must have known about the presence of both pubs (some may even have moved there for that very reason!), I doubt many of them would have expected extended pub opening hours, smokers congregating outside to have a quick (or not so) fag and the increasing desperation of landlords to drum up business using such enterprising ideas as take-away pizza deliveries and the hosting of live bands, effectively, outside at night.

I can grant you that one, but that should come under a different licensing system and has nothing to do with this story. This was about an apparent aesthetic infringement.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 14 2014, 06:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

... whilst it is very laudable for the landlord to try to keep in business, this pub has thrived under previous managers without recourse to erecting white plastic non-sound-proofed 'temporary' structures.

I doubt some of the previous landlords would agree with you that it 'thrived'. Even years ago when Jill and Graham were running the place it was a constant struggle, which is why they gave up on the business. Breweries have tightened their grip even further in recent years with all sorts of restrictions of what can and can't be sold and where the landlord has to buy his stock from and so rural pubs like Spotty Dog are constantly teetering on the edge.

In the current climate of people drinking more at home I don't know how these two pubs can survive for much longer being next door to each other.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 14 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 14 2014, 05:32 PM) *
I think Andy could be referring to any pub, not just The Spotted Dog. I take it you're not much of a pub goer? They all have their fair share of belching swearers... normally stood outside having a fag.

When I decide to visit a pub, I send my people in advance to clear out the riff raff first. wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 14 2014, 07:19 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 14 2014, 06:22 PM) *
.........constantly teetering on the edge.

Can't have been me you've seen coming out, I've never been there! tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
wabbit
post Mar 15 2014, 06:38 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 14 2014, 06:12 PM) *
That isn't the front of the pub (like you said it was).

I suspect previous owners didn't have it so hard as the current landlord either.

I can grant you that one, but that should come under a different licensing system and has nothing to do with this story. This was about an apparent aesthetic infringement.

I don't like to be pedantic...but this is the NWN forum so I'd better be... laugh.gif ...

The road to which I was referring was Gladstone Lane (not Cold Ash Hill) and as The Spotted Dog is actually sideways onto the road, the entrance and offending marquee are clearly visible. The Planning Inspector in his report noted:-

The marquee is clearly visible from Gladstone Lane as one walks up the hill towards the pub, from where it stands out as intrusive and harmful

Maybe save your pity - the present landlord seems to be doing well enough to have a new Range Rover Evoque with a very desirable personalised numberplate so things don't look too glum wink.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
nerc
post Mar 15 2014, 10:10 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (wabbit @ Mar 15 2014, 06:38 AM) *
I don't like to be pedantic...but this is the NWN forum so I'd better be... laugh.gif ...

The road to which I was referring was Gladstone Lane (not Cold Ash Hill) and as The Spotted Dog is actually sideways onto the road, the entrance and offending marquee are clearly visible. The Planning Inspector in his report noted:-

The marquee is clearly visible from Gladstone Lane as one walks up the hill towards the pub, from where it stands out as intrusive and harmful

Gladstone Lane is not that heavily used unless you reside there so viewing the Marquee is mainly from local residents.
I guess that would be you. Unless of course you are a drinker in the other pub.

Maybe save your pity - the present landlord seems to be doing well enough to have a new Range Rover Evoque with a very desirable personalised numberplate so things don't look too glum wink.gif .

The landlord has other business interests and is also in partnership with others in the establishment so just because he has a desirable vehicle doesnt mean that the pub is doing that well.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:42 PM