> Roof Ornament Thieves Cheat Newbury's State Of The Art CCTV System
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 01:21 PM) *
CCTV isn't like something out of Mission Impossible.

Ours isn't; no.

I agree with OTE, perhaps we could 'out-source' the control to 'willing busy bodies' to monitor it for us. At least they might have some local knowledge - should that be important.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 4 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Unless CCTV has sophisticated software that raises an alarm when suspicious movement is detected where it shouldn't be, it's only as effective as the people who operate it, and how attentive and alert they are.

I am no expert in the matter, but I think I am stating the obvious.

wink.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 4 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Unless CCTV has sophisticated software that raises an alarm when suspicious movement is detected where it shouldn't be, it's only as effective as the people who operate it, and how attentive and alert they are.

I am no expert in the matter, but I think I am stating the obvious.

Cameras record. There isn't a bloke watching the screen,

Something happens & the images captured by the camera is reviewed. End of story.

When Newbury was covered by the old Analogue system, I think there was something in the order of 100 cameras.

Even having 8 feeds to a screen, thats still 13 screens. Allegedly all run form a single room in the Town Hall.........

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 4 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 03:23 PM) *
Cameras record. There isn't a bloke watching the screen,

Something happens & the images captured by the camera is reviewed. End of story.

Like this one for example, you mean?

More than 160 cameras are monitored via the banks of screens in the control room, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

CCTV operators are in constant radio contact with security staff in shops and bars, sharing information about potential flashpoints and suspects. They are also linked into the police radio network and pictures from selected cameras are beamed live into the Police Control room

Or are you referring to Newbury's system in particular? Because you seemed to imply that all CCTV installations are the same. Not quite "end of story", eh?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

I notice Mansfield has 160+ camera & their picture shows 1 feed to a screen. Do they have 160+ screens then.......

How many staff do you think it would take to properly watch 160+ screens at the same time? Panning & tilting, zooming etc............

this idea that there is a team of trained people constanly monitoring the CCTV system is a joke.

There are handful of staff who sit & wait for a call from someone in the field ( police / security staff ) & they then isolate the feeds from the cameras in that area & then manually operate them. If there is no call they'll pick a feed & watch that. Chances of catching a crime in progress - very small.

The rest of the time the cameras are just recording to a pre set pattern. This is why when there is a crime committed in any given area, one of the first things done is a review of the CCTV to try & build up a picture of suspect movements etc.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 04:10 PM) *
I notice Mansfield has 160+ camera & their picture shows 1 feed to a screen. Do they have 160+ screens then.......

There are handful of staff who sit & wait for a call from someone in the field ( police / security staff ) & they then isolate the feeds from the cameras in that area & then manually operate them. If there is no call they'll pick a feed & watch that. Chances of catching a crime in progress - very small.

Lucky Mansfield!

"Since electronic records were started in May 2000, the cameras have directly assisted police in making more than a staggering 10,000 live arrests, with a further 2,500 arrests being made by police after viewing footage collected by the cameras.

Since 2000, operators at Mansfield CCTV have dealt with over 47,000 incidents, which as well as crimes have included finding lost children, alerting the ambulance service about injured people and issuing warnings via their 'talking' cameras."

It suggests from the gumph that there is indeed a certain amount of proactive monitoring in place. I think Newbury once had a locally monitored system that worked along similar lines. Of course it is a matter of luck sometimes, but locals would know where 'hot spots are' and would keep an eye. I doubt it was the police that alerted Newbury's control room to warn them of my (pretending to be) taking a piss in a doorway, once. Equally, it would take a vigilant operator to monitor sites of interest, like building sites, when they are located in camera range.

I still think we have been sold a pup, but it would be interesting to know what the statistics are for their usefulness.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Lucky Mansfield!

I'd imagine WBC could produce the same gumpf if they wanted, and that the Control room where the feeds from Newbury's cameras ends up is fairly similar to the one shown.

The set up isn't dissimilar - Cameras are controled from Mansfield, and that control also handles the cameras from two smaller towns with populations similar to that of Newbury.......

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Oct 4 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

Has it not occurred to anybody, that the cctv is probably aimed at ground level in most installations?

That would explain the fact that roof thefts go undetected.!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Oct 4 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Has it not occurred to anybody, that the cctv is probably aimed at ground level in most installations? That would explain the fact that roof thefts go undetected.!!!!!!!!!!!

Many people who steal from roofs eventually use the ground rolleyes.gif ; however, I understand that camera's can be moved about ... oh yeah, nearly forgot: !!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 04:53 PM) *
Lucky Mansfield!

I'd imagine WBC could produce the same gumpf if they wanted, and that the Control room where the feeds from Newbury's cameras ends up is fairly similar to the one shown.

The set up isn't dissimilar - Cameras are controled from Mansfield, and that control also handles the cameras from two smaller towns with populations similar to that of Newbury.......

And I wonder if those similarly sized towns are also supplied the same quality service as Newbury, compared to their 'own' town. You seem to know a lot about it.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Oct 4 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 4 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Many people who steal from roofs eventually use the ground rolleyes.gif ; however, I understand that camera's can be moved about ... oh yeah, nearly forgot: !!!!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

You mean CCYV staff spot nerdowell with a dragon shaped bulge under their coat & look closer?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 4 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 06:48 PM) *
You mean CCYV staff spot nerdowell with a dragon shaped bulge under their coat & look closer?

If they were paying attention they might!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 4 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Oct 4 2012, 04:10 PM) *
I notice Mansfield has 160+ camera & their picture shows 1 feed to a screen.

Eh? What's that wall of screens in the picture then? Or have I had too much wine with my dinner so I am seeing at least 27 screens where there is only one?

Edit: Oh I think you are saying that each screen is showing only one view rather than a split screen.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 4 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (JeffG @ Oct 4 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Eh? What's that wall of screens in the picture then? Or have I had too much wine with my dinner so I am seeing at least 27 screens where there is only one?

Edit: Oh I think you are saying that each screen is showing only one view rather than a split screen.

Jeff - we have the Baird system and the Nipcow disc keeps slipping on its bearing.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:45 PM