blackdog
post Jan 17 2011, 07:16 AM
Post #461

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 16 2011, 10:01 PM) *
How does that happen then?

Some of them will be up for re-election in May..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #462

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 17 2011, 06:21 AM) *
He would love that as a question as he would divert into the stats without giving any answer to what you intend to be your core question.

'Is it so that RBC have delayed their plan to move their CCTV control to Windsor?'

'Is there, today and for the future, an operating, fully functioning radio link between Newbury Shopsafe and the Windsor Control Room?'

There is no radio link at this stage. The current line from the council is that the plan was to always install it early this year. Before Christmas, certain elected members claimed that there was never a radio link to the control room. Despite the confusion, we will get one. It's just a matter of when. Speaking to licence holders on Saturday night in Newbury Town Centre, the radio link only seems to be carried by the police on Friday and Saturdays, despite the council claiming the radios are 24 / 7/ Again, who is right? Those who use the scheme every day, or the council members and officers who haven't even been to see those affected?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 17 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #463

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 17 2011, 07:16 AM) *
Some of them will be up for re-election in May..

But people vote for parties.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 17 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #464

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

The only think for it is to have a judicial enquiry into CCTV in Newbury at a cost of say £1 Million.

Oh - And Richard Garvie should Chair and get paid expenses..... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 17 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #465

Advanced Member

It is just a shame that the councillors don't take this upon themselves, considering it sounds like a right royal c0ck-up! Where's the Lib Dem opposition?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #466

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 17 2011, 10:15 AM) *
The only think for it is to have a judicial enquiry into CCTV in Newbury at a cost of say £1 Million.

Oh - And Richard Garvie should Chair and get paid expenses..... laugh.gif

I'd happily do it for free, but I think we would be better having a completely independent review. I have infomation from all sides, my only interest in this now is establishing why the council lied. As I said before, I have around 100 emails on the issue, and from the first email from the council to the most recent one, the difference in position is the difference from here to China!!!

It's amazing how quickly people forget some of what happened. Can you not remember Anthony Stansfield saying everything would be sorted by not last Friday but the Friday before? That only a few were off? He went on the radio and misled everyone, including our MP who was happy to "wade into the row". The Conservatives had convinced almost everyone that this was a storm in a tea cup, yet even now the network is experiencing major problems.

Although the amount of cameras now visible in Windsor has increased dramatically since Christmas, at the time there were 16 incidents over the festive period that were not recorded. Graham Jones / Anthony Stansfield are more than welcome to come around these retailers with me so that the traders themselves can explain the problems they faced, and Cll's Jones / Stansfield can explain why they did what they did. I just think that the Conservatives will blame the council and the council will just throw up a wall of silence.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 17 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #467

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

Do you honestly feel any 'safer' with CCTV or without it.

To me it makes very little difference. The scummier side of the community will continue to peddle drugs / intimidate people and CCTV will not stop them. And even when they are caught 'red handed' very little happens.

Unless you commit an act of unmitigated violence it seems that all you get is a slapped wrist these days anyway.

So is CCTV worth the expense? I'm not so sure myself.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 17 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #468

Advanced Member

According to user23, the knowledge of the CCTV not working increases the likelihood of violent crime.

Feeling safer is not all the issue. This seems to be an important tool for the authorities to maintain order. Notwithstanding the Tories claimed that the move would have no impact on the current service whatsoever. That seems not to be the case.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 17 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #469

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

the radio link only seems to be carried by the police on Friday and Saturdays, despite the council claiming the radios are 24 / 7/ Again, who is right

Both - could it be that the radios are available 24/7 but the police only chose to carry them on fridays & saturdays?

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 17 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #470

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 17 2011, 10:10 AM) *
But people vote for parties.

And which party has managed mis-managed this mess?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 01:09 PM
Post #471

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 17 2011, 11:57 AM) *
the radio link only seems to be carried by the police on Friday and Saturdays, despite the council claiming the radios are 24 / 7/ Again, who is right

Both - could it be that the radios are available 24/7 but the police only chose to carry them on fridays & saturdays?

Yes, but the council are saying the radios are carried by officers 24 /7!!! That's 24 hours, 7 days a week!!!

+Quote Post
Roost
post Jan 17 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #472

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

Way I understand it police have access to two radios, the police network one which is digital and could reach Windsor and the shop network one which is VERY old, analogue and could only reach Windsor if you Fed-exed it.

The old CCTV control room apparently had both (as well as a radio system linking it to the car parks) which made them the ideal point of central liaison between all parties.

This is just one aspect that has been totally disregarded by those who have planned this move.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 17 2011, 04:13 PM
Post #473

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Roost @ Jan 17 2011, 03:55 PM) *
Way I understand it police have access to two radios, the police network one which is digital and could reach Windsor and the shop network one which is VERY old, analogue and could only reach Windsor if you Fed-exed it.

The old CCTV control room apparently had both (as well as a radio system linking it to the car parks) which made them the ideal point of central liaison between all parties.

This is just one aspect that has been totally disregarded by those who have planned this move.

I hope someone/some people take it upon themselves to reply to Cllr Stansfield's letter on Thursday.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 17 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #474

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 17 2011, 04:13 PM) *
I hope someone/some people take it upon themselves to reply to Cllr Stansfield's letter on Thursday.

I think we can count on that.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 04:18 PM
Post #475

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Jan 17 2011, 04:13 PM) *

I've replied, but I've sent it as an open letter to Graham Jones. As the leader of the council, it is now up to him to sort this out as Cllr Stansfield has gone into hiding it would seem!!! If Cllr Stansfield is not prepared to answer, then maybe Cllr Jones will???

Then again, maybe I'm hoping for too much!!!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #476

Advanced Member

if you want to submit a letter: editor@newburynews.co.uk - The more calls for an investigation the better!!!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jan 17 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #477

Advanced Member

When is the deadline for an approved letter to be submitted for publication? I'm surprised the NWN doesn't have an online form for submitting letters.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Jan 17 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #478

Advanced Member

I've submitted emails in Tuesday morning and they have made it in. I'd do it tonight though just to be safe.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 17 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #479

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 16 2011, 08:31 PM) *
What do you want them to say? "Yes, it is true none of the cameras can be controlled, none are recording etc"? Or leave the crims in doubt as to what the situation is? Consider the situation with safety cameras - people slow down 'just in case' the camera is operational. In places where it is public knowledge they are turned off there is already evidence that speeds have increased. Maybe in time there will also be evidence of pace-related crashes increasing. If the police were to find they had no patrol staff at all for a period (it happens) would you want a public statement that was the situation? The cims would have great fun in those locales.

If the Council believe the rumours are not accurate it would be dangerous for them to get into a public debate about what is fact and what is fiction - or even just misunderstanding - because some would dissect every answer and go public with any discrepancy they think they find.

At the moment this is best dealt with by the Council, working with the trade associations, police etc.

Don't take that to mean I am supporting either position. I do not know the truth, but I believe mid-crisis (if it be one) is not the time for the problems to be made public. I certainly do not think people who just want to make noise should be given access to information. As I said before, if there has been a monumental then the responsible people should be held to account. On the same basis, if there has not, then some people should prepare to retire gracefully.

I still say that most of Newbury residents now know the CCTV cameras are not working. So your first argument does not stand up? If the council would state publicly that an inquiry will take place if or when th system is working then that would appease the outcry somewhat. I do believe that unless the pressure is kept up on the council then nothing will ever be known of what has gone wrong, if anything, as there has just been a wall of silence. Surely all the evidence and comments from business, staff, and public points to serious problems that should have been foreseen!

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 17 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #480

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jan 17 2011, 08:01 PM) *
I still say that most of Newbury residents now know the CCTV cameras are not working. So your first argument does not stand up? If the council would state publicly that an inquiry will take place if or when th system is working then that would appease the outcry somewhat. I do believe that unless the pressure is kept up on the council then nothing will ever be known of what has gone wrong, if anything, as there has just been a wall of silence. Surely all the evidence and comments from business, staff, and public points to serious problems that should have been foreseen!

Most of Newbury?

I think you give the NWN too much credit.

+Quote Post

55 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:45 AM