Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elderly woman attacked by dog
Andrea
post Jun 16 2009, 02:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

These stories are unfortunately becoming more and more common.

I feel bad for all these 'hard' breed dogs that are being taken on by 'thugs' as a weapon, it's not the dogs fault they're like this, any dog has the capability to be aggressive or friendly. It all depends on who owns them and how they're raised!

I'm an owner of an English Bull Terrier puppy who's only problem is that she gets too excited when meeting new people. These breeds are being given a bad image because of all the irresponsible owners who allow and encourage their dogs to be aggressive. When I take my bully for walks, sometimes we encounter another dog and their owner who will actually cross the street to avoid any sort of confrontation. It's a shame as my dog would love nothing more than to have a play with their dog. Actually, she was attacked by the neighbours little jack russell terrier type dog a couple weeks ago and she rolled over onto her back and didn't fight back. Quick funny... little 10KG max dog attacking my 21kg dog and the small one won...

I for one think that breeding should be strictly limited with some sort of registry where if a dog isn't on a registry, they should be fixed. People should be fined if they allow their dogs to breed with the only intent is to make a quick buck. Anyone can go onto epupz or any other pet advertising website and see all the dogs that are on sale there that are obviously bred for money or are an accident and not to better a breed.

I'm getting my English Bull Terrier fixed in September as I know that I would be unable to find responsible owners for all her puppies and it would kill me if I ever found out they ended up in a rescue centre or as a weapon.

What do you all think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I agree.... the owners should be put to death, rather than the dog as they are responsible.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jun 16 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 16 2009, 03:32 PM) *
I agree.... the owners should be put to death, rather than the dog as they are responsible.

Blimey GMR! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jun 16 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I'm against the keeping of pets in general, other than cats, dogs and fish, but then I hate the the thought that anyone can go and buy an animal without a clue of how to look after it. What hurts me most though, is to see caged birds.

With dogs, I feel this is one of the things we should come down hard on. All dogs should be chipped and be on leads in public areas, with concessions for owners with some dogs who have passed a dog proficiency course with their dog.

I was disgusted to hear on the radio of a neighbour who saw some kids with a terrier, looking into gardens for cats so that they could throw their dog in, to chase and kill the cat.

It also angered me how light hearted the media took the case yesterday, of a 3 year old kid left alone with puppies and flushed one down the toilet.

A land of dog lovers it would seem...

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 16 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

How much more interesting (and newsworthy) it would all be were the line to read 'Elderly dog attacked by woman' lol

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Jun 16 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 68

I am a dog ownwer with 10 years experience of troubled dogs. I currently have 4 dogs of varying sizes and ages, but all rescues with particular problems. This story really annoyed me as it once again it enforces peoples low opinions of dog owners in general when only a small minority are to blame. Dogs are seen by some now as a status symbol, an accessory, rather than the loving family companions they should be. It is so upsetting to see so many dogs in rescues when they were bought by people who want to look hard with a macho dog, or want something to carry around in their handbag. Something goes wrong and they end up in rescue. I get comments when I take my dogs out. One of them is paticularly noisy when on the lead but he is currently undergoing some rehabilitation, with the help of trainers, as he is a troubled dog. I have been accused of having an unfriendly dog but I am only trying to undo what damage has been caused by previous owners. And if more people were willing to put in just a little extra work and adopt a rescue, then all these puppy farms that sell on the web would eventually go out of business!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 16 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Me-again @ Jun 16 2009, 08:47 PM) *
I am a dog ownwer with 10 years experience of troubled dogs. I currently have 4 dogs of varying sizes and ages, but all rescues with particular problems. This story really annoyed me as it once again it enforces peoples low opinions of dog owners in general when only a small minority are to blame. Dogs are seen by some now as a status symbol, an accessory, rather than the loving family companions they should be. It is so upsetting to see so many dogs in rescues when they were bought by people who want to look hard with a macho dog, or want something to carry around in their handbag. Something goes wrong and they end up in rescue. I get comments when I take my dogs out. One of them is paticularly noisy when on the lead but he is currently undergoing some rehabilitation, with the help of trainers, as he is a troubled dog. I have been accused of having an unfriendly dog but I am only trying to undo what damage has been caused by previous owners. And if more people were willing to put in just a little extra work and adopt a rescue, then all these puppy farms that sell on the web would eventually go out of business!

I agree, I am also a dog owner... but when one bad apple comes along everybody it tared with the same brush. When something untoward happens we put the dog down.... as I said earlier, I'd rather put the owner down as he/ she is responsible for the dogs actions.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Jun 16 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (Me-again @ Jun 16 2009, 08:47 PM) *
I am a dog ownwer with 10 years experience of troubled dogs. I currently have 4 dogs of varying sizes and ages...

Good job you don't live in Kingsclere, Me-again, as the local witch doctors who control this place have decreed that no more than three dogs can be walked at once in various key places in the village. Suspect they would be watching your movements very closely indeed....

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jun 17 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

I have been attacked by a dog. I was just walking on the pavement and an Alsatian Cross brred ran out of a drive and sunk its teeth into my leg. I must admit that ever since that experience I have been very wary of dogs and will quite often cross the road if one of the pit bull type terrier dogs (off the lead of course) and its aggresive looking owner are coming toward me. Some may think this is quite feeble but unless you have experience a dog tearing flesh from your leg I would ask you to think again.

+Quote Post
Me-again
post Jun 17 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 68

Good job you don't live in Kingsclere, Me-again, as the local witch doctors who control this place have decreed that no more than three dogs can be walked at once in various key places in the village. Suspect they would be watching your movements very closely indeed....

Don't worry Mr Saskin, I don't walk all of them at once! Its 2 at a time unless I have assistance from husband or friend!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

I used to do jogging a few years ago and i was attacked by a dog. I've also helped my kids do their paper-round and went into one house and a dog attacked me.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 17 2009, 10:25 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 44

After reading the stories in the paper of babies beaing attacked by dogs - which were family pets - I am very wary when taking my son (18 months) out. When pushing the pushchair i will automatically cross over/turn the pushchair when walking past dogs on/off leads. You never know if one is going to attack. I dont care if the dog walker gets offended, my sons life is worth more.
The thing that annoys me more is when I do it and they say - oh he/she wont bite, or they say to the dog come over here so this little boy can stroke you. That happend the other day, this man walking 2 labradors (i adore this breed, i use to have a golden retreiver and know how soft they are) and my son was looking at them pointing and smiling, so he gets them to cover over so he can pat them - right up to his face. I said no its alright thanks, you never know with dogs. He grabbed them and stormed off. Now if my son had patted them or pulled their fur (like children do) and they snapped at him - who would be to blame? I know they are soft dogs BUT you just never know.

Any dog can turn, regardless of whether they have been brought up correctly.

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jun 17 2009, 11:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

Amie, I understand why you are wary of dogs around your child. Although I think you've gone to some unnecessary extremes. If you keep going on like this with your son, do you not think that he may become afraid of dogs? If I had a child, I would probably avoid dogs as well unless I was assured the dog was friendly or I knew the dog. As someone who has grown up with dogs my entire life, I feel comfortable around dogs and know the signs to watch for if the dog is about to attack. I have on a few occasions been able to grab a dog and correct it before it had a chance to attack my older dog.

You need to trust people because they know their dog best, not you. And if a owner says their dog will be fine with children, then 99.9% of the time, they will be! I wouldn't allow such a small child around my English Bull Terrier, not because she'll bite them, but because she is a very excited dog who has not quite learned to not jump up. Although she is a hit with the neighbourhood kids who range from 5 to 10. When you child gets a bit older, will you allow him around dogs? Or will this be a life long thing? I feel as though in the long run, this would do more harm than good, it's unhealthy for children to develope fears.

I also agree with your last point to a certain extent. Yes, all dogs can turn if in a certain situation, but I don't believe that all dogs are uncontrollable in a certain situation. If a dog was cornered, then the natural instinct is to fight their way out, I'd do the same if I were cornered! But only in a life or death situation do I believe all dogs would turn.

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 17 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (AmieB @ Jun 17 2009, 11:25 AM) *
After reading the stories in the paper of babies beaing attacked by dogs - which were family pets - I am very wary when taking my son (18 months) out. When pushing the pushchair i will automatically cross over/turn the pushchair when walking past dogs on/off leads. You never know if one is going to attack. I dont care if the dog walker gets offended, my sons life is worth more.
The thing that annoys me more is when I do it and they say - oh he/she wont bite, or they say to the dog come over here so this little boy can stroke you. That happend the other day, this man walking 2 labradors (i adore this breed, i use to have a golden retreiver and know how soft they are) and my son was looking at them pointing and smiling, so he gets them to cover over so he can pat them - right up to his face. I said no its alright thanks, you never know with dogs. He grabbed them and stormed off. Now if my son had patted them or pulled their fur (like children do) and they snapped at him - who would be to blame? I know they are soft dogs BUT you just never know.

Any dog can turn, regardless of whether they have been brought up correctly.

I understand where you are coming from AmieB but you might be setting your son up for even more danger if he doesn't learn how to behave around dogs. Your fear will be noticed by the dogs as well and they might act on that so staying away from dogs while you are afraid for your son is probably the best thing you can do in your situation.

I walk my two off lead at the Chase and come across families with children who are afraid of dogs but they haven't bothered to teach them how to act around them so they make the situation worse. Any child that is shrieking and waving their arms will wind up most dogs. They certainly wind me up! I have tried to explain to some of them that remaining still and quiet is a safer and wiser response but some people don't listen. Thankfully my two avoid strangers but often get chased by children who want to cuddle them. Thankfully they are both friendly with kids but not particularly interested in them. My Jack Russell understands she is a dog and ALL humans are above her in the pecking order no matter how small they are but I still wouldn't trust a child alone with her for fear of what they might do to her. My terrier mix is only interested in attacking rodents and treats but I would never leave him alone with a child. I have no problem with kind children stroking him when we are out on walks.

A breed register will only work for law abiding citizens and the ones causing the problem are not law abiding citizens. I would love to see tougher laws like if the dog has to be destroyed the owner goes to jail, is fined a substantial amount and is banned from ever keeping dogs again. It might stop some of the back yard breeders producing dogs with bad temperaments and prevent some people who can barely look after themselves taking on an animal that they have no respect for and can't control.

Bring back the dog licence so we can at least keep track of the responsible owners and the police can sieze unlicenced animals and possibly prevent further tragedies.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 17 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Im not like it with all dogs. There is only 2 dogs I allow him to be near to and is 2 family members dogs. He loves them, absoloutly adores them - but i cant relax. Even though I know they wont snap or bite him, ones a collie and ones a greyhound - i just have a fear in the back of my mind. I have never been bitten by a dog, i think its down to what i have seen on the news. (the ones with pitbulls etc attacking babies) and it makes me scared.

But you are both right and i should relax. I dont want him to have a fear either when he grows up.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 17 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (AmieB @ Jun 17 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Im not like it with all dogs. There is only 2 dogs I allow him to be near to and is 2 family members dogs. He loves them, absoloutly adores them - but i cant relax. Even though I know they wont snap or bite him, ones a collie and ones a greyhound - i just have a fear in the back of my mind. I have never been bitten by a dog, i think its down to what i have seen on the news. (the ones with pitbulls etc attacking babies) and it makes me scared.

But you are both right and i should relax. I dont want him to have a fear either when he grows up.

When I am out with my dog and she approaches kids/ adults I always say that "she is ok, she's friendly". If I go up to another dog I always ask the owner if it is ok. But it is always best to be safe.

+Quote Post
AmieB
post Jun 17 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I think when my son is older and understands what im saying - be gentle, no pulling etc - then i will be more relaxed. He's only 18 months and just wants to grab, pull and cuddle them! I dont think any dog would like that!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jun 27 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Yet again another failure by the powers that be in controlling what is quickly becoming a real problem.Surely the re-introduction of a self financing dog licence is the positive way forward.
To say there are no bad dogs only bad owners is to brush the problem under the carpet.Though I have sympathy for the pensioner whose only companion is the scruffy hound that shares her home,my real concern is for the child whose face is disfigured by this member of the canidae family because we as a society seem fit to turn our backs on the problem.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 27 2009, 07:09 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jun 27 2009, 07:32 PM) *
Yet again another failure by the powers that be in controlling what is quickly becoming a real problem.Surely the re-introduction of a self financing dog licence is the positive way forward.
To say there are no bad dogs only bad owners is to brush the problem under the carpet.Though I have sympathy for the pensioner whose only companion is the scruffy hound that shares her home,my real concern is for the child whose face is disfigured by this member of the canidae family because we as a society seem fit to turn our backs on the problem.

A dog licence wouldn't work and the bad dog owners wouldn't have one if they did introduce dog licences.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jun 28 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 27 2009, 08:09 PM) *
A dog licence wouldn't work and the bad dog owners wouldn't have one if they did introduce dog licences.

It would if the judiciary did it's job properly,though I have to admit you are right in your assessment

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 AM