Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid Cyclist
Gumbo
post May 18 2009, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

If any of you were the angry young man who looked like he wanted to kill me yesterday at the roundabout by the Coopers Arms on Bartholomew Street, I hope you have calmed down now and actually realised I was approaching from your right and therefore you had to give way to me!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy
post May 18 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Gumbo @ May 18 2009, 12:39 PM) *
If any of you were the angry young man who looked like he wanted to kill me yesterday at the roundabout by the Coopers Arms on Bartholomew Street, I hope you have calmed down now and actually realised I was approaching from your right and therefore you had to give way to me!

Gumbo - Didn't you know....cyclists are always in the right!!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 18 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I am sure it was because he was travelling with momentum but I was definately at the junction first and by the laws of the road he just had to brake.........simple as.

+Quote Post
Road User
post May 18 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Gumbo @ May 18 2009, 02:38 PM) *
I am sure it was because he was travelling with momentum but I was definately at the junction first and by the laws of the road he just had to brake.........simple as.

Well if it was the other way around you would have breaked for him I'm sure. But as I have seen thousands of times, road laws don't apply to cyclists. They don't pay road tax or insurance and accidents involving them are never their fault. I love to see the younger ones being taught to break the law by riding up one way streets the wrong way and riding on busy pavements by doting parents! They wonder why they grow up to be yobs when at the tender age of 5 they have already started breaking the law..... dry.gif

+Quote Post
IanB
post May 18 2009, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 23

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation 'eh?
Admittedly, there are some terrible cyclists about, but the amount of times I've seen cars indicate at the last minute, take a left, and cut across cycle lanes without looking is unbelievable. Drivers make mistakes too. Drivers have slightly more protection in the event of a mishap though.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 18 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (IanB @ May 18 2009, 05:17 PM) *
Nothing like a sweeping generalisation 'eh?
Admittedly, there are some terrible cyclists about, but the amount of times I've seen cars indicate at the last minute, take a left, and cut across cycle lanes without looking is unbelievable. Drivers make mistakes too. Drivers have slightly more protection in the event of a mishap though.

I am a cyclist and a car user and they both can be blamed sometimes. There are also a lot of good cyclist on the road.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 18 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

But it does make my blood boil seeing cyclists driving the wrong way down a one way street or flouting other parts of the highway code

+Quote Post
Good Boy Racer
post May 18 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Sorry Gumbo, i wont do it again.

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post May 19 2009, 08:19 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ May 18 2009, 07:32 PM) *
I am a cyclist and a car user and they both can be blamed sometimes. There are also a lot of good cyclist on the road.

Totally agree but there doesn't seem to be anybody policing the cyclists as opposed to the amount of hours and money put in to hounding the motorist.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ May 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *
But it does make my blood boil seeing cyclists driving the wrong way down a one way street or flouting other parts of the highway code

To be it is only a few cyclists that do that... the rest of us are law abiding citizens.

+Quote Post
Simon
post May 19 2009, 01:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I am a motorist but I cycle to work each day,

When I cycle, I use common sense.....If there is no one using the path then I will ride on that as it makes it easier for drivers, if i then meet with someone on the path, I show respect and either slowly go round them, pull over to the side or if its safe, move onto the road. That way its the best of both worlds. I would never cycle down a busy path.

Please dont generalise all cyclists together

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post May 19 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

I have three cycles, all perfectly good, stored away in the garage but am too wary nowadays to use them that much, afaid I'm beginning to think that bicycles and cars (more so lorrries) just don't mix and prefer to walk if I want some exercise, and that's from a bloke who used to be a 100 miles a day cycling tourist. Only place I feel safe now is cycling along the towpath. Shame really, but todays roads are too crowded and certainly people seem not to notice bikes. IMHO, however, agressive cyclists are hurrying to their own doom. Anybody fancy riding a bike at night nowadays? Certainly I feel footpaths are a better place to be, providing it's done sensibly.

+Quote Post
J C
post May 19 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (GMR @ May 19 2009, 01:18 PM) *
To be it is only a few cyclists that do that... the rest of us are law abiding citizens.

Yes as always it is the small minority, same with bad drivers!

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 19 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (J C @ May 18 2009, 07:38 PM) *

I feel the same when car drivers act as if they are lords and master wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post May 24 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

No-one pays Road Tax any more as it was abolished years ago . It's call Vehicle Excise Duty. A bicycle is not required to pay VED. Roads are paid for from the public purse. Most cyclists have insurance as household insurance covers public liability.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 26 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

When I cycle, I use common sense.....If there is no one using the path then I will ride on that as it makes it easier for drivers, if i then meet with someone on the path, I show respect and either slowly go round them, pull over to the side or if its safe, move onto the road. That way its the best of both worlds. I would never cycle down a busy path.

Wow! One of the rare ones! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Road User
post Jun 1 2009, 07:35 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 26 2009, 01:17 PM) *
Wow! One of the rare ones! ohmy.gif

The Stupid Cyclists were out in force on Sunday in the town centre. I went down to watch the Bayer 10K and take some pictures of my husband as he ran the race and as I strolled down Bartholomew Street a cyclist came speeding out of the alley way next to the cook shop. I saw another cyclist following behind him but as I had right of way and they were breaking the law I didn't stop walking. She nearly came off her bike over the handle bars. I saw them several times through out the morning riding without any consideration or regard for the traffic laws but they weren't the only ones. I felt for the runners who had to dodge the stupid cyclists as they ran along the well marked route for the race. I did see one law abiding citizen though she dismounted and walked her bike carefully through the area so as not to break the law or cause an accident. It's too bad that more cyclists weren't like her.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 1 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Talking about bad drivers, cyclists etc. Some of those Newbury buses driving through the high street have come close to hitting people.

+Quote Post
Guest_Nobby_*
post Jun 1 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Road User @ Jun 1 2009, 08:35 AM) *
The Stupid Cyclists were out in force on Sunday in the town centre. I went down to watch the Bayer 10K and take some pictures of my husband as he ran the race and as I strolled down Bartholomew Street a cyclist came speeding out of the alley way next to the cook shop. I saw another cyclist following behind him but as I had right of way and they were breaking the law I didn't stop walking. She nearly came off her bike over the handle bars. I saw them several times through out the morning riding without any consideration or regard for the traffic laws but they weren't the only ones. I felt for the runners who had to dodge the stupid cyclists as they ran along the well marked route for the race. I did see one law abiding citizen though she dismounted and walked her bike carefully through the area so as not to break the law or cause an accident. It's too bad that more cyclists weren't like her.

So if you were crossing the street & a speeding HGV was hurtling towards you would you act the same way? I doubt it.

What you have admitted is that you deliberately blocked a public right of way and attempted to cause an accident which would have resulted in injury - 2 CRIMINAL offences. Perhaps you should have reported them as you "saw them several times" and there were plenty of Police on duty?

There are idiots on wheels irrespective of what they ride or drive but it is always car owners who think they own the Public Highway. A vast majority of motorists in the UK exceed the speed limit at some point during every journey they take and anyone who denies that is probably being untruthful - the so-called 'persecutuon of the motorist' as was alluded to earlier is a prime example of the double standards applied. No doubt it was aimed (at least in part) toward speed/safety cameras? Well if you're driving within the law what difference do they actually make to you?

Pots/kettles.

+Quote Post
Guest_Nobby_*
post Jun 1 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Road User @ Jun 1 2009, 08:35 AM) *

So if you were crossing the street & a speeding HGV was hurtling towards you would you act the same way? I doubt it.

What you have admitted is that you deliberately blocked a public right of way and attempted to cause an accident which would have resulted in injury - 2 CRIMINAL offences. Perhaps you should have reported them as you "saw them several times" and there were plenty of Police on duty?

There are idiots on wheels irrespective of what they ride or drive but it is always car owners who think they own the Public Highway. A vast majority of motorists in the UK exceed the speed limit at some point during every journey they take and anyone who denies that is probably being untruthful - the so-called 'persecutuon of the motorist' as was alluded to earlier is a prime example of the double standards applied. No doubt it was aimed (at least in part) toward speed/safety cameras? Well if you're driving within the law what difference do they actually make to you?

Pots/kettles.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:50 PM