IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's good about Newbury, All the things that make Newbury a nice place for you.
ossy1
post Jul 2 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

It was started in a different thread but I thought it deserved one of it's own.

Clearly there are some who think Newbury is the bronx but most of us love it so lets promote it abit more. Especially to those new posters that havent yet posted and may have just moved to the area.

The idea is that you post about the good things!!! wink.gif

I like Greenham Common, it is a lovely open space to walk around but a space which is steeped in so much history. Did you know that the runway was dug up and used as foundations for the bypass?

The racecourse, it might create a bit of traffic chaos but it's nice to have something to do on your doorstep.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 2 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

Another good thing about Newbury, is that it is in the middle of anywhere and from the centre of town, you can walk into the countryside with in half an hour.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jul 2 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

The people, that fact it's big enough to have quite a few pubs but small enough so that I could walk into a fair few and see someone I know. It's also small enough for me to be able to walk in to work but large enough to (soon) boast a large shopping centre.

It's got Nepalese, Thai, Indian, French, Italian, Chinese and English restaurants. and there's also two markets a week where lots of interesting produce is sold.

There's a top racecourse and the rugby team are in the second tier of national competition.

+Quote Post
Rosewinelover
post Jul 2 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 966

We have a racecourse which also holds brilliant entertainers, simply red, madness etc. There is a canel running all the way through from Hungerford which makes for lovely walks/bike rides. The Corn Exchange has loads going on, there is nearly always a fete/festival/family day most weekends in the summer you can go to, the french market comes to Newbury and we have River Island wink.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Jul 2 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Watermill Theatre although I don't spend enough time there..... Sitting by the canal eating lunch and feeding the ducklings....... Coombe gibbett having a picnic lunch and watching the paragliders or on the opposite sitting in the middle of a thunderstorm up there .... Red kites .....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 2 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Rosewinelover @ Jul 2 2010, 08:22 PM) *
We have a racecourse which also holds brilliant entertainers, simply red, madness etc. There is a canel running all the way through from Hungerford which makes for lovely walks/bike rides. The Corn Exchange has loads going on, there is nearly always a fete/festival/family day most weekends in the summer you can go to, the french market comes to Newbury and we have River Island wink.gif

I like the Corn Exchange. I've seen some great acts there. I also remember going in the 70s and seeing Empire Roscoe, the DJ. Also won a stack of 45s from him.

Our Rivers/ canals.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 2 2010, 09:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jul 2 2010, 10:42 PM) *
Watermill Theatre although I don't spend enough time there..... Sitting by the canal eating lunch and feeding the ducklings....... Coombe gibbett having a picnic lunch and watching the paragliders or on the opposite sitting in the middle of a thunderstorm up there .... Red kites .....

I agree, feeding the duckling and birds. Watching the Swans etc.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 2 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Jul 2 2010, 10:42 PM) *
.... Red kites .....

Yes, Red Kites are a treat! ...and Egyptian Geese (I saw their goslings recently)!

+Quote Post
Guest_Newbury Expat_*
post Jul 3 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #9

Guests

Donnington Castle, both the view from my family home and going up for a walk around, a picnic and a roll down the hill.

The whole area around St Nic's and St Nic's itself which is a beautiful church.

I love the building in which the museum is housed as well as some of the other historic buildings in the town.

Griffin's the butchers on the bridge, specifically the smell of fresh sausage rolls and their amazing steak and kidney pies.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 3 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbury Expat @ Jul 3 2010, 03:54 AM) *
Donnington Castle, both the view from my family home and going up for a walk around, a picnic and a roll down the hill.

The whole area around St Nic's and St Nic's itself which is a beautiful church.

I love the building in which the museum is housed as well as some of the other historic buildings in the town.

Griffin's the butchers on the bridge, specifically the smell of fresh sausage rolls and their amazing steak and kidney pies.

I liked going to Donnington Castle on a beautiful day.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 3 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Notwithstanding we have easy access to West Berkshire Brewery's wares!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:41 AM