IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photography and Filming in Council Meetings, The Local Audit and Accountability Bill
Exhausted
post Feb 2 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 320

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 2 2014, 11:43 AM) *
........ it is easier to build a brick wall in your back garden if you wish to bang your head against it! rolleyes.gif

You would need planning permission from WBC for that. Start of a long process with the associated bureaucracy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 2 2014, 06:52 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Jay Sands @ Feb 2 2014, 08:39 AM) *
"...a life-time designation as a Vexatious Complainant for the question with no hearing, no appeal, and no right of review", this is simply an abuse of power. We should all be allowed to question everything the council does who are spending our money.

It is an abuse of power, yes. I don't see anyone else doing the analysis and asking the difficult questions and the council need to apologies for the slur and make themselves accountable. Not one single councillor has stood up at the council and questioned how I've been treated. Not a one.

If you have anything that you value that the council has some control over you'd be a fool to engage with the council or exercise your right to criticism if they are able to identify you, and I certainly wouldn't risk turning up to photograph their meetings until you have a clear statutory right that you could be confident that the police would recognise.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 8 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 2 2014, 06:52 PM) *
It is an abuse of power, yes. I don't see anyone else doing the analysis and asking the difficult questions and the council need to apologies for the slur and make themselves accountable. Not one single councillor has stood up at the council and questioned how I've been treated. Not a one.

If you have anything that you value that the council has some control over you'd be a fool to engage with the council or exercise your right to criticism if they are able to identify you, and I certainly wouldn't risk turning up to photograph their meetings until you have a clear statutory right that you could be confident that the police would recognise.

Dear Simon,

There do exist Councillors that not only listen, but take note and then action concerns as you are aware, but we also live in a bureaucratic society that requires processes to be followed, and unless complaints are formerly submitted 'hands are tied'.

Not engaging with the Council in my opinion is futile in the long run, although I certainly do not dismiss your experiences or thoughts on this matter. Only through engagement will things change, and I for one am always willing to speak with and listen to any residents that have concerns, and although I can make no promises as to outcomes, but I will always raise matters both formerly and informally and attempt to broker a resolution.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 8 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Feb 8 2014, 01:22 PM) *
Dear Simon,

There do exist Councillors that not only listen, but take note and then action concerns as you are aware, but we also live in a bureaucratic society that requires processes to be followed, and unless complaints are formerly submitted 'hands are tied'.

Not engaging with the Council in my opinion is futile in the long run, although I certainly do not dismiss your experiences or thoughts on this matter. Only through engagement will things change, and I for one am always willing to speak with and listen to any residents that have concerns, and although I can make no promises as to outcomes, but I will always raise matters both formerly and informally and attempt to broker a resolution.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

That's great, but the fact remains 'like the Savoy Hotel, the law is open to all'. After Simons bruising experience and hearing of others, it would take a very brave man to plough through the process - even if he did have the time and inclination. Then to be permanently labeled would just seem to cap it! Justice, but not as we know it.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 8 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 8 2014, 01:42 PM) *
That's great, but the fact remains 'like the Savoy Hotel, the law is open to all'. After Simons bruising experience and hearing of others, it would take a very brave man to plough through the process - even if he did have the time and inclination. Then to be permanently labeled would just seem to cap it! Justice, but not as we know it.

On the edge,

I sure that you accept that I cannot discuss in a public forum, matters pertaining to an individual, but I am more than happy to continue speaking with Simon and anyone else 'off line' about their specific issues.

On Monday at the Policy & Resources Committee mtg I will be seeking further support from Councillors for their involvement in the Public Engagement Working Group. I will then be putting something together to advertise this for public involvement as well, and I would welcome members of the Forum getting involved.

As to the location of these meetings I fully accept that some people may not feel totally comfortable in coming to NTC, so I will be proposing that some meetings are held elsewhere.

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 8 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Well, I hope they actually listen.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Feb 8 2014, 03:50 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Feb 8 2014, 01:22 PM) *
Dear Simon,

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Yes the famous process that allows the council to know exactly who you are and to take actions that will stop that person with whatever means at their disposal, and most of these are very underhanded to say the least. angry.gif

It's funny how no one from the council can discuss an individual case in public and then goes and does exactly that by declaring the person vexatious with no means of redress. Everyone knows what Simon has had to go through and just for releasing facts and figures that the council wished to keep secret and to protect themselves. Simon would be more than happy to have all the facts brought into the public limelight, he can correct me if I am mistaken, that is exactly what he has been campaigning for!

As for engagement well for me to engage with this present council then there is no way. The only way I would engage with the town council is if this lot were to do the decent thing and resign and then perhaps there could be some sort of engagement with newly elected Councillors and then on the understanding that it was to reduce the town council to what it should realistically be in these austere times.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 8 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 8 2014, 03:50 PM) *
Yes the famous process that allows the council to know exactly who you are and to take actions that will stop that person with whatever means at their disposal, and most of these are very underhanded to say the least. angry.gif

It's funny how no one from the council can discuss an individual case in public and then goes and does exactly that by declaring the person vexatious with no means of redress. Everyone knows what Simon has had to go through and just for releasing facts and figures that the council wished to keep secret and to protect themselves. Simon would be more than happy to have all the facts brought into the public limelight, he can correct me if I am mistaken, that is exactly what he has been campaigning for!

As for engagement well for me to engage with this present council then there is no way. The only way I would engage with the town council is if this lot were to do the decent thing and resign and then perhaps there could be some sort of engagement with newly elected Councillors and then on the understanding that it was to reduce the town council to what it should realistically be in these austere times.

Regrettably for all who believe in justice and democracy this is a pretty good and accurate summary.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 8 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Feb 8 2014, 03:50 PM) *

Regrettably for all who believe in justice and democracy this is a pretty good and accurate summary.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 8 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 8 2014, 04:07 PM) *

Exactly.

Usual case of politicians being complete lowlife!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 8 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 8 2014, 04:44 PM) *
Exactly.

Usual case of politicians being complete lowlife!

Anyone thought they were anything but?

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 8 2014, 10:20 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Dear Forum Members,

This evening I have been called "lowlife" and even "scum". Reminds me of my policing days.

I will respond as I used to then and remain committed to listening and working for you all no matter what you think of me personally.

Have a good Saturday evening, and I hope some courtesy returns with better weather.

Yours

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 8 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Feb 8 2014, 10:20 PM) *
Dear Forum Members,

This evening I have been called "lowlife" and even "scum". Reminds me of my policing days.

I will respond as I used to then and remain committed to listening and working for you all no matter what you think of me personally.

Have a good Saturday evening, and I hope some courtesy returns with better weather.

Yours

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Ruwan, I'm very sorry about the treatment you have received. You are the only town councillor to have given me any time and consideration, and I've made no secret of the fact that I like and respect you. You are without a doubt the least deserving of criticism of any town councillor and I have no doubt whatsoever that had you been involved in 2007 my own story would have been utterly different and I'd be happily and quietly busying myself on my wash common allotment and wouldn't have lived through several years of what has been the most unpleasantly stressful realization of the impotence of the individual in the path of a relentless and vindictive state. I am grateful for the support you have given me, but I hope you understand that I feel I have been harshly treated by the town council, and though I have made a considerable effort to find common ground with the council they have taken everything and given nothing. I am sorry if my friends' support for me is vented unfairly on you.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 8 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 8 2014, 10:41 PM) *
Ruwan, I'm very sorry about the treatment you have received. You are the only town councillor to have given me any time and consideration, and I've made no secret of the fact that I like and respect you. You are without a doubt the least deserving of criticism of any town councillor and I have no doubt whatsoever that had you been involved in 2007 my own story would have been utterly different and I'd be happily and quietly busying myself on my wash common allotment and wouldn't have lived through several years of what has been the most unpleasantly stressful realization of the impotence of the individual in the path of a relentless and vindictive state. I am grateful for the support you have given me, but I hope you understand that I feel I have been harshly treated by the town council, and though I have made a considerable effort to find common ground with the council they have taken everything and given nothing. I am sorry if my friends' support for me is vented unfairly on you.

Simon,

As ever your response is appreciated. Change though can be brought about by many means, but not through avoidance even though engaging can initially be painful.

As you are aware you will always be welcome at any meeting that I am involved in, and regarding the Public Engagement Working Group, I will be proposing that some of the meetings are held 'off site'.

Yours with respect,

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 8 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I don't think anyone specifically called you a lowlife or scum (I must have missed scum somewhere???)
More rather politicians in general. From the outside (us) looking in to political parties, especially with the temperature of us people on the local constitution, can you really expect anything but?

It's nice that you bother to partake on the forum, as many councilors probably purposefully avoid it.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 9 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Feb 8 2014, 10:20 PM) *
Dear Forum Members,

Yours

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Ruwan, I apologise if you thought I was directing my comments at you personally - this was not the case as I believe you to be an exception rather than following the rule. I also respect you for putting your head above the parapet to get "shot at" on occasion. As with others on here I am frustrated when excuses are made into why certain injustices cannot be looked at (a'la Simon) without a certain process being followed when the Councillors appear happy not to follow the same process when it suits them (hence my comments on your Lib Dem colleagues who have control on said council and many of whom would have voted on the issue).

Once again apologies if personal offense was taken. Hopefully you feel courtesy has returned, I am afraid I can do nothing about the weather!

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 9 2014, 08:47 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

It's a shame that a thread on quite an interesting topic has become another "simon says" debate with abusive language.

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Feb 9 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ Feb 9 2014, 12:41 AM) *
Ruwan, I apologise if you thought I was directing my comments at you personally - this was not the case as I believe you to be an exception rather than following the rule. I also respect you for putting your head above the parapet to get "shot at" on occasion. As with others on here I am frustrated when excuses are made into why certain injustices cannot be looked at (a'la Simon) without a certain process being followed when the Councillors appear happy not to follow the same process when it suits them (hence my comments on your Lib Dem colleagues who have control on said council and many of whom would have voted on the issue).

Once again apologies if personal offense was taken. Hopefully you feel courtesy has returned, I am afraid I can do nothing about the weather!

MontyPython,

Apology accepted, but I still say get involved. It is easier for any Councillor to champion issues with the public standing behind them.

Yours

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 9 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 9 2014, 08:47 AM) *
It's a shame that a thread on quite an interesting topic has become another "simon says" debate with abusive language.

If you wish the thread to go in a different direction, perhaps you should get involved more. If you won't get involved, 'then you are part of the problem'! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 9 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 9 2014, 10:21 AM) *
If you wish the thread to go in a different direction, perhaps you should get involved more. If you won't get involved, 'then you are part of the problem'! tongue.gif
I just did.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:14 AM