Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ALDI seeking to extend opening times, Getting more & more customers
gel
post Feb 11 2015, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

Aldi doing well as NWN reports they've applied for longer opening hours.
The car parks full quite a lot of the time already;
perhaps we'll have another one in vicinity soon eg Thatcham?? wink.gif

The BP Garage owner in Wantage has been offered huge mountain of cash for his site too;
http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hswanta..._bids_for_land/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 23 2015, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (gel @ Feb 11 2015, 11:47 AM) *
Aldi doing well as NWN reports they've applied for longer opening hours. The car parks full quite a lot of the time already; perhaps we'll have another one in vicinity soon eg Thatcham?? wink.gif The BP Garage owner in Wantage has been offered huge mountain of cash for his site too; http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/hswanta..._bids_for_land/

Yes, Aldi is doing well while Lidl has gone down hill. If you go into Lidl's it is always empty.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Feb 23 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

wot. its all stolen...

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 23 2015, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Feb 23 2015, 06:32 PM) *
wot. its all stolen...

It is empty of people, however, they could haven been kidnapped by aliens or Aldi staff.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 24 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (GMR @ Feb 23 2015, 05:25 PM) *
If you go into Lidl's it is always empty.

Well, the last time I looked in there ( just curious of course wink.gif ) I thought they should teach their staff to smile a bit more, a right miserable looking bunch if I ever saw one .

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 24 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Happy staff in supermarkets seems almost inversely proportional to how cheap their shop is to shop in.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 24 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 24 2015, 07:49 PM) *
Well, the last time I looked in there ( just curious of course wink.gif ) I thought they should teach their staff to smile a bit more, a right miserable looking bunch if I ever saw one .

I don't suppose many people would be able muster up the effort to put on a happy face every day when you're on a minimum wage.... I also imagine it's quite a struggle to make that minimum wage go far round this area and the thought that benefit scroungers are pulling in just as much moolah would make you glum too.

Anyway, you go in there to shop and pick up cheap, out of date, non-branded goods shipped from the continent. If you want to be entertained go to the theatre

+Quote Post
nerc
post Feb 25 2015, 05:23 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 24 2015, 11:27 PM) *
I don't suppose many people would be able muster up the effort to put on a happy face every day when you're on a minimum wage.... I also imagine it's quite a struggle to make that minimum wage go far round this area and the thought that benefit scroungers are pulling in just as much moolah would make you glum too.

Anyway, you go in there to shop and pick up cheap, out of date, non-branded goods shipped from the continent. If you want to be entertained go to the theatre

I have family friends who's sons and daughters work in Lidls and are aged 17. They are certainly NOT on the minimum wage of £3.79 as you suggest, in fact they are paid £6.90 per hour.
As for the comments of "out of date" products i think you must be very much mistaken as im sure they would not be allowed to sell such products.
Furthermore not all products are non branded and shipped from the continent as you suggest, in fact the company source over 48% of products from the uk.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 25 2015, 07:47 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

...said the Lidl spokesman.... wink.gif

It was a generalisation and as much a response to Andy Capp and comments on workers in any of the 'value' end shops rather a proper dig at Lidl.

Well anyway, if you know a couple of Lidl workers can you let them know that HJD would like them to pull an inane grin as he wanders the aisles with his trolley full of Bulgarian wine and the random stuff you can get in those central aisles at the back.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 25 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Remind me what percentage of Newbury's population are benefit scroungers. Perhaps they are immigrants too, using up all the available social housing.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 25 2015, 12:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 25 2015, 08:47 AM) *
Well anyway, if you know a couple of Lidl workers can you let them know that HJD would like them to pull an inane grin as he wanders the aisles with his trolley full of Bulgarian wine and the random stuff you can get in those central aisles at the back.

A polite smile and pleasant demeanour never goes amiss and it's not difficult you know.
Or do you find it a struggle Spartacus? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 25 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 25 2015, 07:47 AM) *
...said the Lidl spokesman.... wink.gif

So you have been in there too wink.gif wink.gif ! Actually I'm not a wine drinker, can't stand all that sniffing & swirling the glass around bollocks. More of a beer person me, so I tend to go to Aldi. Top brands at £1.25 a bottle, bargain, see you there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 25 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 25 2015, 01:24 PM) *
Actually I'm not a wine drinker, can't stand all that sniffing & swirling the glass around bollocks.

You don't have to do all the poncy "subtle hints of autumn leaves and passion fruit" nonsense to enjoy a glass of wine. As I do with my meal of an evening. I also enjoy a pint of beer if I'm out.

I was passing Aldi at lunchtime once. Popped in for a sandwich and came out with my sandwich, a bottle of wine and change from a fiver. smile.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 25 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

In spite of the sneers from those in thrall to the UK retail aristocracy, it's actually taken the continental discounters to show us how to run supermarkets properly. Sad really, Sainsburys and Tesco couldn't even make it in the States, where they almost speak the same language! As for the 'non branded' goods, Sparticus, surely you've not failed to notice the 'Benefits' brand our finest UK dealers offer?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 25 2015, 05:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I don't suppose many people would be able muster up the effort to put on a happy face every day when you're on a minimum wage....

There are a lot of people who are on fantastic wages who are miserable. Whether rich or poor people are what they are. Some of the most poorest people are the most happiest and vise versa.

I also imagine...

I would stop imagining if I was you, as your imagination is on a different level to normality.

...it's quite a struggle to make that minimum wage go far round this area and the thought that benefit scroungers are pulling in just as much moolah would make you glum too.

How do you know what the 'benefit scroungers' are doing? Unless you are one and speaking from experience? Actually most people are not benefit scroungers but are in an unfortunate position. Your comments are crass.

Actually they are not out of date; Ldl's and Aldi have to work under the same rules as all British companies. In other words it has to be fresh and in date. Your words show your ignorance.

If people wanted to be entertained then all they have to do is come on here and read your scribbling's.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 25 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I'm not knocking Lidl or any bargain basement shops. I use them fairly regularly - which has in the past drawn comment from the dragon-in-law who can get a bit sniffy and wouldn't be seen dead in anything other than Waitrose, M&S or John Lewis. (Thinking about it, maybe I was doing it to wind her up rolleyes.gif )

My kids (older teenagers, now in their twenties) also went through a phase where they wouldn't wear anything other than 'Superdry' branded or other expensive clothes. I refused to buy them stuff from there and they had to save up and buy them for themselves.

I on the other hand am happy to be grabbing cheap t-shirts from Peacocks, or trainers from Sportsworld and will do an 'every now and then' shop in Lidl (although I now prefer Aldi) to pick up odd bits (I'm partial to the various tinned fish they get in from Deutschland swimming in pfeffersauce und currysauce). couple of boxes of the Glühwein they get in leading up to Christmas doesn't go amiss either....

Some of the breakfast cereal products however do look like they may contain a higher percentage of wood chippings and sawdust than you'll get from Sainsbury's/Tescos own stuff, so there's definitely a level beyond which I'm not brave enough to stoop. blink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 25 2015, 05:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 25 2015, 09:37 AM) *
Remind me what percentage of Newbury's population are benefit scroungers.

I dunno... 8%? 10%? (is there a prize if I guess correctly?)

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 25 2015, 09:37 AM) *
Perhaps they are immigrants too, using up all the available social housing.

Deary me, tsk tsk. That’s a bit inflammatory. Accusing immigrants of taking up all stock of social housing....

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 25 2015, 05:45 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Feb 25 2015, 05:04 PM) *
How do you know what the 'benefit scroungers' are doing? Unless you are one and speaking from experience? Actually most people are not benefit scroungers but are in an unfortunate position. Your comments are crass.

I KNOW what a benefit scrounger looks like coz I read it in the Daily Mail. They even showed pictures of them for people like me what are hard of thinking....

Anyway, get back to rustling your copy of the Guardian and harrumphing in your comfy chair...

Actually they are not out of date; Ldl's and Aldi have to work under the same rules as all British companies. In other words it has to be fresh and in date. Your words show your ignorance.

I've bought several crates of ale from Lidl in the past when it was dead cheap. Hobgoblin, Bishops Finger and several others. Nice brews, but all of the bottles had gone beyond the stamped best before dates. Didn't make a jot of difference to the taste and I was chuffed as I had a good stock of beer to load into the fridge in the garage ready for summer bbq season. Not speaking from a position of total ignorance.

If people wanted to be entertained then all they have to do is come on here and read your scribbling's.

ooohh.. get you....

Although.... are you implying my scribblings class as entertainment? tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nerc
post Feb 25 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 25 2015, 05:45 PM) *
I KNOW what a benefit scrounger looks like coz I read it in the Daily Mail. They even showed pictures of them for people like me what are hard of thinking....

Anyway, get back to rustling your copy of the Guardian and harrumphing in your comfy chair...

I've bought several crates of ale from Lidl in the past when it was dead cheap. Hobgoblin, Bishops Finger and several others. Nice brews, but all of the bottles had gone beyond the stamped best before dates. Didn't make a jot of difference to the taste and I was chuffed as I had a good stock of beer to load into the fridge in the garage ready for summer bbq season. Not speaking from a position of total ignorance.

ooohh.. get you....

Although.... are you implying my scribblings class as entertainment? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Me Thinks that you talk a lot of BS and dont really understand that stores cannot sell out of date products etc.
If the stores sold you out of date products im sure a person like you would have complained and requested a further discount.
BTW you never replied to the minimum wage comment as i guess you dont have the proof that Lidls are paying below the minimum wage.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Feb 25 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Wetpants)
Me Thinks that you talk a lot of BS and dont really understand that stores cannot sell out of date products etc.
If the stores sold you out of date products im sure a person like you would have complained and requested a further discount.
BTW you never replied to the minimum wage comment as i guess you dont have the proof that Lidls are paying below the minimum wage.

If you're going to play with the big boys you'll need to learn how to use the 'Quote' function properly.
In answer to your question... meh.... and nah... but mostly meh...

I can assure you the beer was gone past the 'best before' date... not that I was bothered due to the price. This was around two years or more back. I think word must have got around regarding the price as the whole stock (several pallet loads lined up) went in less than an hour.

And as for the minimum wage, it was a general comment in case you missed that bit as you frothed and spluttered all over your keyboard. Read again you dimwit... or are just choosing to read between the lines?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:39 PM