> Newbury Train Station, GWR, Network Rail, Shame Shame Shame
Biker1
post Jun 19 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #561

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 07:43 AM) *
Ill rephrase it: I selected it, but it shouldn’t be there to select; a GWR rippoff. Selling peak rate tickets when there are no peak rate trains to catch.

Like I said, peak tickets may still be a requirement if the user wishes to return at peak time.
They are called "anytime" tickets I.E. they can be used at any time on any train.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 19 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #562

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 08:03 AM) *
The same effect could easily have been achieved using a banner or such like warning people that off peak trains don't arrive 'till 9.00.

That's on a big sign stuck to the machine! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jun 19 2018, 11:49 AM
Post #563

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Just a short story if anyone is interested that is sort of relatable. I didn't know but there is no defined off peak start time, and I had to travel back up north from Reading after a recent visit. I got to Reading station well before 6 am and spoke to the guys on the gate. They couldn't give me a time for the start or end of the morning peak period but let me onto the platform. They said if I spoke to the train manager they would b able to clarify whether or not I could travel. So I boarded a virgin train and set to finding the manager about 5 minutes before departure. The train left bang on time with me on it, and so i was already in motion by the time I found her. She advised that to upgrade my ticket would cost me about £120 and I had to pay that to continue. Obviously I wasn't prepared to pay that so she said I would have to leave at the next stop, Oxford, and get an off peak train from there. Fair enough, but she then wrote on my ticket that it was not to be used before 10:30. I asked why as that was so much later, and she said I had already stolen an hour of their time, and I owed them that back. She said if I had waited for the first off peak from Reading, I wouldn't have gt there till 10 o clock so why should I be allowed to travel before then?

She has the letter of the law on her side I guess, but these rail companies don't help themselves at all.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 19 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #564

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 11:40 AM) *
That's on a big sign stuck to the machine! tongue.gif

Which machine is this then?

Just jumped off the Reading train and looked, nothing at all about off peak times or tickets on the two in the ticket office or the semi vandalised one at the side entrance.

There IS a big home made sign on the ticket office machines saying the tickets purchased at the machine are 'different' to those sold by the ticket office!

tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 19 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #565

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jun 19 2018, 12:49 PM) *
Just a short story if anyone is interested that is sort of relatable. I didn't know but there is no defined off peak start time, and I had to travel back up north from Reading after a recent visit. I got to Reading station well before 6 am and spoke to the guys on the gate. They couldn't give me a time for the start or end of the morning peak period but let me onto the platform. They said if I spoke to the train manager they would b able to clarify whether or not I could travel. So I boarded a virgin train and set to finding the manager about 5 minutes before departure. The train left bang on time with me on it, and so i was already in motion by the time I found her. She advised that to upgrade my ticket would cost me about £120 and I had to pay that to continue. Obviously I wasn't prepared to pay that so she said I would have to leave at the next stop, Oxford, and get an off peak train from there. Fair enough, but she then wrote on my ticket that it was not to be used before 10:30. I asked why as that was so much later, and she said I had already stolen an hour of their time, and I owed them that back. She said if I had waited for the first off peak from Reading, I wouldn't have gt there till 10 o clock so why should I be allowed to travel before then?

She has the letter of the law on her side I guess, but these rail companies don't help themselves at all.

Yes - indeed this is a graphic illustration of what's wrong.

I'm thinking of pushing a letter to our MP who seems to take an interest in railway matters simply to highlight these issues. Which ironically bring into sharp focus the present industrial dispute by Northern Railway Guards. With management attitudes like this, is it any wonder staff walk off the job?

Just an aside, why do the railways still need a private (British Transport Police) police force? I'd lay odds on Tesco's or Sainsbury's grabbing a chance to do exactly the same!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 19 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #566

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 19 2018, 11:38 AM) *
Like I said, peak tickets may still be a requirement if the user wishes to return at peak time.
They are called "anytime" tickets I.E. they can be used at any time on any train.

There is no peak time Reading to Newbury; it is the same price through out the afternoon and evening and when I’ve asked in the past, I have been told I may use my off peak ticket to return to Newbury at anytime in the afternoon and evening.

A GWR rip-off.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 19 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #567

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *
There IS a big home made sign on the ticket office machines saying the tickets purchased at the machine are 'different' to those sold by the ticket office!

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Yes: more expensive.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 20 2018, 06:50 AM
Post #568

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 19 2018, 03:05 PM) *
Which machine is this then?

Just jumped off the Reading train and looked, nothing at all about off peak times or tickets on the two in the ticket office or the semi vandalised one at the side entrance.

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Is it not there now then?
Well the was one last time I looked.
Sorry about that. I'll concede on that one! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 20 2018, 06:51 AM
Post #569

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 06:24 PM) *
Yes: more expensive.

Incorrect.
Ticket machine prices are identical to those sold from the windows.
What is it with all this "fake news"? rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 20 2018, 07:01 AM
Post #570

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 19 2018, 06:00 PM) *
There is no peak time Reading to Newbury; it is the same price through out the afternoon and evening and when I’ve asked in the past, I have been told I may use my off peak ticket to return to Newbury at anytime in the afternoon and evening.

That is correct. Peak time returns are from London.
That said I still don't understand why you bought a peak ticket if you were catching an off peak train.
The machine told you what you were buying and the price before you bought it.
When you saw the price did you not think it was the wrong ticket for the journey you were making?
You could have then spoken to a staff member who would have sold you what you required.
I do not see the "rip off" you refer to. The machine sold you what you asked for. (Unless you mean the price of tickets in general is too high with which I agree.)
Do you not take any responsibility for ensuring you are buying the correct product for your needs? Do you not check prices / products for example when you visit a supermarket?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 20 2018, 07:36 AM
Post #571

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 08:01 AM) *
That is correct. Peak time returns are from London.
That said I still don't understand why you bought a peak ticket if you were catching an off peak train.
The machine told you what you were buying and the price before you bought it.
When you saw the price did you not think it was the wrong ticket for the journey you were making?
You could have then spoken to a staff member who would have sold you what you required.
I do not see the "rip off" you refer to. The machine sold you what you asked for. (Unless you mean the price of tickets in general is too high with which I agree.)
Do you not take any responsibility for ensuring you are buying the correct product for your needs? Do you not check prices / products for example when you visit a supermarket?

I made a mistake which cost me catching the next train, but it should not be there to chose; of course I spoke to someone about it, but would a person have sold me a peak rate ticket? Of course not, so nor should the machine. The machines are POS I only use if the kiosks are taking too long to clear.

A GWR peace poor service, soon to be on back-breakingly poor trains.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 20 2018, 08:14 AM
Post #572

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 07:50 AM) *
Is it not there now then?
Well the was one last time I looked.
Sorry about that. I'll concede on that one! wink.gif

TBH there are white sticky pads round the top of the machines which indicates one of their home made signs had been in place some time back.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 20 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #573

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 20 2018, 08:36 AM) *
I made a mistake which cost me catching the next train, but it should not be there to chose; of course I spoke to someone about it, but would a person have sold me a peak rate ticket? Of course not, so nor should the machine. The machines are POS I only use if the kiosks are taking too long to clear.

A GWR peace poor service, soon to be on back-breakingly poor trains.

Actually the booking clerks will sell you off peak during the morning peak periods for the same day and future dates. I quite often do that. However, the queues are often horrendous, even outside peak periods. Have to say that's often the fault of prospective passengers who are trying to absorb what are complex instructions for what they percieved to be quite straightforward transactions - which says something I'd suggest!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 20 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #574

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 20 2018, 08:36 AM) *

Unfortunately the machines do not have brains and will only do what you tell them.
Unlike staff they do not have the understanding to realise you may need a different ticket.
Move with the times eh?
Like TFL, I think the long term policy of the railway is to dispense with ticket offices and associated humans especially at smaller stations and move to machine led "smart ticketing"!
It can only get worse AC!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 21 2018, 09:18 PM
Post #575

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 20 2018, 10:45 AM) *
Unfortunately the machines do not have brains and will only do what you tell them.
Unlike staff they do not have the understanding to realise you may need a different ticket.
Move with the times eh?

Or at least the ‘simple’ machines installed are, yes, but I have an app that seems to know the right price.

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Jun 22 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #576

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 21 2018, 10:18 PM) *
Or at least the ‘simple’ machines installed are, yes, but I have an app that seems to know the right price.

Oh the "ubiquitous" app. Yet another example of isolating the "older" generation from getting a better deal. I do not wish to appear Luddite but what is wrong with a person or machine that provides simple to comprehend information? If I wish to travel at peak times then I am prepared to pay full price, but I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button or do not ask the ticket office the right question.

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 22 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #577

Advanced Member

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Jun 22 2018, 12:29 PM) *
Oh the "ubiquitous" app. Yet another example of isolating the "older" generation from getting a better deal. I do not wish to appear Luddite but what is wrong with a person or machine that provides simple to comprehend information? If I wish to travel at peak times then I am prepared to pay full price, but I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button or do not ask the ticket office the right question.

Quite!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 23 2018, 06:19 AM
Post #578

Advanced Member

I do not expect to be charged full price off peak just because I press the wrong button

Don't get it!!!
If you press the button that will sell you a peak ticket and subsequently pay the price displayed then what do you expect?? ohmy.gif
As I said, the machine can't think for itself, you have to take SOME responsibility!

or do not ask the ticket office the right question.

The staff in the ticket office will always sell you the best and cheapest product for your needs. But again, you have to take some responsibility to tell them your travel requirements. I.E. Date and time of travel and your destinations.
Honestly......it's not that difficult folks!! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 23 2018, 07:32 AM
Post #579

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 23 2018, 07:19 AM) *
Don't get it!!!
If you press the button that will sell you a peak ticket and subsequently pay the price displayed then what do you expect?? ohmy.gif
As I said, the machine can't think for itself, you have to take SOME responsibility!

The staff in the ticket office will always sell you the best and cheapest product for your needs. But again, you have to take some responsibility to tell them your travel requirements. I.E. Date and time of travel and your destinations.
Honestly......it's not that difficult folks!! rolleyes.gif

A machine should not be selling a ticket that is not the correct charge. The ticket I bought was for a service that did not exist. There’s a word for that.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 25 2018, 07:50 AM
Post #580

Advanced Member

“The 07:47 will be cancelled due to a shortage of train crew.”

Nothing to do with footer yesterday I presume.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:29 PM