> Purdah
user23
post May 1 2015, 07:33 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 1 2015, 07:04 AM) *
Identifying break points, funding periods and managing risks in projects is actually standard practice in organisations with competent project managers. Of course as is widely acknowledged, public sector project delivery isn't good. Rather than explain in detail, how you do this, I'll simply direct you to the Council's excellent public library which ha
s a good selection of books on project management.
Rather than being so patronising perhaps you'd answer question of what you'd expect staff to do for a whole month most years at some councils when all projects are suspended?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 1 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 08:33 AM) *
Rather than being so patronising perhaps you'd answer question of what you'd expect staff to do for a whole month most years at some councils when all projects are suspended?

I would expect the professional management (both project and executive) of the Council to have factored this in at project inception. Frankly, it's not me bring patronising, more you doubting the professional skills and capabilities of the Council staff.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 1 2015, 08:18 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 1 2015, 09:06 AM) *
I would expect the professional management (both project and executive) of the Council to have factored this in at project inception. Frankly, it's not me bring patronising, more you doubting the professional skills and capabilities of the Council staff.

Come on OTE WBC can't do even simple maths well let alone what they would call complicated staff.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 09:37 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 1 2015, 09:06 AM) *
But you're talking about all projects, so factored in or not you haven't answered what you'd expect these staff to be doing for one month most years, given all work has been suspended.

Essentally you're proposing gardening leave for a month, for a large number of staff, which seems like a huge waste of money.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 10:37 AM) *
But you're talking about all projects, so factored in or not you haven't answered what you'd expect these staff to be doing for one month most years, given all work has been suspended.

Essentally you're proposing gardening leave for a month, for a large number of staff, which seems like a huge waste of money.

I'm not sure that's what OTE meant. I thought he meant that no voting should take place and no preparation work for new proposals should take place until after an imminent election.

All approved work should continue in my view and I'm sure there would be a lot of back-filling work to do, so I doubt they need to sit around twiddling their thumbs.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 11:53 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2015, 12:38 PM) *
I'm not sure that's what OTE meant. I thought he meant that no voting should take place and no preparation work for new proposals should take place until after an imminent election. All approved work should continue in my view and I'm sure there would be a lot of back-filling work to do, so I doubt they need to sit around twiddling their thumbs.
Then, given many projects projects have an externally set deadline, you'd lose a month at the start of each project and have to employ extra resource to make up for the lost time, most years.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2015, 02:21 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 12:53 PM) *
Then, given many projects projects have an externally set deadline, you'd lose a month at the start of each project and have to employ extra resource to make up for the lost time, most years.

Maybe, but only those that are set-up around election time, so legislation/projects could be planned to avoid such occurrences, outside of emergencies of course.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 1 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2015, 12:38 PM) *
I'm not sure that's what OTE meant. I thought he meant that no voting should take place and no preparation work for new proposals should take place until after an imminent election.

All approved work should continue in my view and I'm sure there would be a lot of back-filling work to do, so I doubt they need to sit around twiddling their thumbs.

Quite so.

That also should include what are often seen as sub projects moving from their funded and agreed stages.

I have been intimately involved with at least two major projects for the civil service which, in planning terms at least, spanned changes in Government. We completed and delivered a development, which we fully expected to move to implementation. This latter phase was cancelled by the different incoming administration.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2015, 03:21 PM) *
Maybe, but only those that are set-up around election time, so legislation/projects could be planned to avoid such occurrences, outside of emergencies of course.
Election time is three out of four years at some councils.

Only having staff working on projects for 11 out of 12 months and then having to catch up in these years would be a huge waste of taxpayers' money.

It's OK though, he's basing his entire case on the sum total of two projects he's worked on, for a different tier of government, so by his own admission he doesn't really understand what he's suggesting.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 1 2015, 04:19 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 04:43 PM) *
Around election time, or Purdah is three out of four years at some councils. Only having staff working on projects for 11 out of 12 months and then having to catch up in these years would be a huge waste of taxpayers' money. It's OK though, he's basing his entire case on the sum total of two projects he's worked on, for a different tier of government, so by his own admission he doesn't really understand what he's suggesting.

I'm sure that none of us would want the council staff sitting on their hands just because an election is imminent. I do believe though that announcements good and bad which link to a council, councillor or political party should be avoided and the rules do quite clearly state that. So User, I see where you are coming from but perhaps you should accept that Simon is fighting as an independent and council press releases do tend to give an advantage especially published comments from the leader of the Town council. An uninformed voter might accept what was printed and believe that the current incumbents had done a good job.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 1 2015, 04:42 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Only having staff working on projects for 11 out of 12 months and then having to catch up in these years would be a huge waste of taxpayers' money.

It's OK though, he's basing his entire case on the sum total of two projects he's worked on, for a different tier of government, so by his own admission he doesn't really understand what he's suggesting.

Still don't get it do you. Before trashing everyone and everything, how about sharing your own credentials?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2015, 04:53 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

As you are avoiding parts of the argument put forward, lets flip it on the head and ask: is it healthy to have people making last minute judgements that may get overturned a month later; is that not a waste too, if not unethical?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 1 2015, 05:10 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2015, 03:21 PM) *

Indeedy.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 1 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ May 1 2015, 05:19 PM) *
I'm sure that none of us would want the council staff sitting on their hands just because an election is imminent. I do believe though that announcements good and bad which link to a council, councillor or political party should be avoided and the rules do quite clearly state that. So User, I see where you are coming from but perhaps you should accept that Simon is fighting as an independent and council press releases do tend to give an advantage especially published comments from the leader of the Town council. An uninformed voter might accept what was printed and believe that the current incumbents had done a good job.

As I understand the rules the NTC CrackGate press-releases is very clearly in breach of the purdah rules and the general standards for council communications too, in that JSH is extensively named and quoted, and that the information is partisan and factually incorrect.

This press release about a war memorial is similarly in breach of the purdah rules in that it names councillors standing for election.

As you say, as independents we are always at a disadvantage to the established parties and when those parties and their candidates are featured in council material it unfairly lends them the credibility of the public authority when to my understanding the purdah rules expressly prohibit such publication.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 1 2015, 05:42 PM) *
Still don't get it do you. Before trashing everyone and everything, how about sharing your own credentials?
That's not generally how it works. One doesn't talk down to voters and ask them for their credentials, in order to secure their vote.

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 05:37 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2015, 05:53 PM) *
As you are avoiding parts of the argument put forward, lets flip it on the head and ask: is it healthy to have people making last minute judgements that may get overturned a month later; is that not a waste too, if not unethical?
Does this happen at councils or do they generally stick with the budget agreed for the year, and the new administration prepares the next?

Even if a council started on the consultation process on 8th May, it'd probably be getting on for half way through he financial year before the new plan could be put into practice.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 1 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 06:37 PM) *
Even if a council started on the consultation process on 8th May, it'd probably be getting on for half way through he financial year before the new plan could be put into practice.

Be fair User, all hell will freeze over before our councils genuinely inform their policy with public consultation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
user23
post May 1 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 1 2015, 06:41 PM) *
Be fair User, all hell will freeze over before our councils genuinely inform their policy with public consultation.
That's your view and a different argument.

The point is, unlike central government who just cancel things on a whim, in local government the process of public consultation then drawing up and agreeing budget based on the consultation takes time and resource.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 1 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 1 2015, 06:54 PM) *
That's your view and a different argument.

The point is, unlike central government who just cancel things on a whim, in local government the process of public consultation then drawing up and agreeing budget based on the consultation takes time and resource.

Yes, and getting back to the subject I don't see that there's any need whatsoever for the business of local government to come to end in purdah, but I think it would be reasonable not to make any significant decisions in purdah, and it is certainly required of local authorities that they don't publish press-releases extensively quoting members who are up for election - and yet that is just what NTC have done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gel
post May 1 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Simon, are you reporting NTC to Electoral Comm'n??

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/complaints

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:06 PM