IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Global Warming in trouble?, MO calling in the administrators?
lordtup
post Jan 16 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2013, 02:53 PM) *
Meanwhile, significant snow forecast for Friday. Up to 10cm.

Which allows me to air one of my personal rants , why are measurements in weather forecasts given in metric. Yes I know 10 cm is about 4 inches but I still have to mentally convert in order to get an indication. Until they ban imperial measurement completely I say use it . angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 16 2013, 08:01 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

But then the other half of the population wouldn't understand?!

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jan 16 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (motormad @ Jan 16 2013, 07:25 PM) *
Perhaps the poles are reversing and Norway will be the new Majorca.

We can only hope. Costa Blanca here we come

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 16 2013, 07:57 PM) *
Which allows me to air one of my personal rants , why are measurements in weather forecasts given in metric. Yes I know 10 cm is about 4 inches but I still have to mentally convert in order to get an indication. Until they ban imperial measurement completely I say use it . angry.gif

Perhaps you should get a modern rule. Then you can see for yourself what 10cm looks like.

I don't suppose you still think of temperatures in Fahrenheit, do you? I am probably as old as you are, but have moved on. wink.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jan 16 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 16 2013, 07:57 PM) *

Surely to someone of your considerable aptitude can multiply 4x2.5 without breaking into a sweat.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 16 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2013, 08:16 PM) *
Perhaps you should get a modern rule. Then you can see for yourself what 10cm looks like.

Surely we all know what 10cm/4" looks like? blink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 16 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 16 2013, 08:27 PM) *
Surely we all know what 10cm/4" looks like? blink.gif

Speak for yourself! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 17 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 16 2013, 08:16 PM) *

I don't suppose you still think of temperatures in Fahrenheit, do you? I am probably as old as you are, but have moved on. wink.gif

Yes I still think in fahrenheit , pounds and ounces ,and for that matter LSD . I see no reason " to move on " as you say just to appease the " progressives " who introduced the system in the first place . angry.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 17 2013, 08:30 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Maybe it's because I have a scientific background that I am able to accept a more sensible range of units. Mutliples of 10 and the freezing point of water being 0° and boiling at 100° make so much more sense to me. 212°? Yeah, right.

Somehow, I don't think you still convert money into LSD after 42 years, really. smile.gif

I have just realised what NWNREADER meant by the 10cm/4" comment. My point about the (measuring) rule was that it should be possible to visualise what 10cm looks like without bringing its imperial equivalent into the equation at all.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jan 17 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 17 2013, 08:30 PM) *
Maybe it's because I have a scientific background that I am able to accept a more sensible range of units. Mutliples of 10 and the freezing point of water being 0° and boiling at 100° make so much more sense to me. 212°? Yeah, right.

Somehow, I don't think you still convert money into LSD after 42 years, really. smile.gif

I have just realised what NWNREADER meant by the 10cm/4" comment. My point about the (measuring) rule was that it should be possible to visualise what 10cm looks like without bringing its imperial equivalent into the equation at all.

Most of my money got converted to LSD in the 60's.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 17 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

That told us, then

When talking to people about things we said/did etc back in the day we have to, as that was what it was then (and I'm sure you meant £sd.....

As it should be simple to visualise 4" without bringing the metric equivalent........

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 18 2013, 11:41 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Why base a temperature scale on the state of water? Where the SI system makes sense is the way it all hangs together in a simple way, not that water freezes at 0 (okay - I know it's really 273.15K).

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 19 2013, 11:21 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Not meaning to divert the thread, but another environmental issue is mentioned on the Beeb today:

Mercury

The story doesn't mention who the signatories are, but the EU has gone ott on fluorescent lighting at the expense of incandescent. Fluorescent lights require mercury to operate..........

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jan 19 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 19 2013, 11:21 AM) *
Not meaning to divert the thread, but another environmental issue is mentioned on the Beeb today:

Mercury

The story doesn't mention who the signatories are, but the EU has gone ott on fluorescent lighting at the expense of incandescent. Fluorescent lights require mercury to operate..........

Ahhh, a night with Venus and a lifetime with mercury.

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 19 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Penelope @ Jan 19 2013, 01:43 PM) *
Ahhh, a night with Venus and a lifetime with mercury.

and of course EU behind early closure of our local power station, Didcot A:
Didcot Closing News

+Quote Post
Squelchy
post Jan 19 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 19 2013, 03:07 PM) *
and of course EU behind early closure of our local power station,

Steady, that's not quite true is it?

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 19 2013, 04:26 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

To be serious for a moment I agree with your statement on visualisation , now it could well be that these things are impaired into our sub concious during those informative years of our childhood. I remember at primary school doing long division of both the imperial weights and measures along with money . Metrication is a much simpler system and a lot more logical though the use usage of 12 as opposed to 10 is not quite as silly as it seems.
The sad fact is that I spent the best part of 30 years dealing with the old system , though had I undertaken a science degree instead of my chosen path I would be a little more enlightened on the mental picture of 10 cm , 5 ltr or 25 hectares .

In defence of Lsd I wonder just how many on here actually know what it stands for and why it's so called . The fact that I still refer to it has more to do with respect for it's position in our history than a desire to abolish the present system.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 19 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 19 2013, 04:26 PM) *
In defence of Lsd I wonder just how many on here actually know what it stands for and why it's so called .

Librae, solidi, denarii biggrin.gif

And I still remember "a hundred pence are eight and fourpence"! smile.gif Engraved on my memory. (Yes - and I remember those long divisions too, and the exercise books with the conversions from rods, poles and perches etc. on the back.)

The first computer I worked on actually had inbuilt instructions to convert to and from sterling. Ah, those were the days...

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 19 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jan 19 2013, 04:34 PM) *
Librae, solidi, denarii biggrin.gif

And I still remember "a hundred pence are eight and fourpence"! smile.gif Engraved on my memory. (Yes - and I remember those long divisions too, and the exercise books with the conversions from rods, poles and perches etc. on the back.)

The first computer I worked on actually had inbuilt instructions to convert to and from sterling. Ah, those were the days...

Go to the top of the class " G " , as a matter of interest is sterling still em sterling, or has it fully adopted that dreadful British pound appellation ?

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jan 19 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

As far as I know, sterling meant pounds shillings and pence.

(and grr! one of my smoke alarms has started beeping and I've got no 9 volt batteries.)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:02 PM