> More Tut In the Newbury Weekly News, Pointeless, cheap content
On the edge
post Dec 7 2017, 06:49 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Blake @ Dec 6 2017, 10:59 PM) *
Local newspapers seriously need to raise their game if they are to survive the next decade. The way they need to do it is by going upmarket ad appealing to the ABC1 demographic. They need to offer something unique that cannot be found online and resist the temptation to go downmarket and plebeian.

The Newbury Weekly News must make it its New Year's Resolution to abandon cheap content: Endless photo pages on school proms, new school classes, what children want for Christmas etc. I'd rather see more letters (although no more anti-Brexit ranters please).

We also used to have a TV guide that was suddenly stopped with no apology or explanation. This needs to return.

Ironic this; I hate to admit it, but I always thought the TV guide in NWN was simply pandering to down market tastes. Pretty pointless as they come with the national Daily and Sunday national titles anyway.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 7 2017, 12:06 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 7 2017, 06:49 AM) *
Ironic this; I hate to admit it, but I always thought the TV guide in NWN was simply pandering to down market tastes. Pretty pointless as they come with the national Daily and Sunday national titles anyway.

TV guides in any paper are pretty pointless now we have so many channels available.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 7 2017, 12:31 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 7 2017, 12:06 PM) *
TV guides in any paper are pretty pointless now we have so many channels available.

Agreed, but very useful when the kids had rabbits.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
SirWilliam
post Dec 7 2017, 12:56 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,341

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 7 2017, 12:06 PM) *

???????
One would have thought they had increased relevance with 101 channels of mush , though I agree that a guide in a weekly publication would be a little pointless .

--------------------
Si non prius succederent.......... relinquere

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 7 2017, 05:29 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Does anyone actually watch tv live anymore? I can’t remember the last time I did. It’s all on catchup or Netflix. Perhaps Blake would be happier if on St Gabriel’s and Horris Hill were covered and St Joe’s can “go whistle”.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 8 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 7 2017, 05:29 PM) *
Does anyone actually watch tv live anymore? I can’t remember the last time I did. It’s all on catchup or Netflix. Perhaps Blake would be happier if on St Gabriel’s and Horris Hill were covered and St Joe’s can “go whistle”.

yes.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 8 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 7 2017, 05:29 PM) *

Yes, and what little TV we watch are the two traditional ones. Virgin subscription a bit of a waste really. As for NWN, I was thinking of complaining about the sports pages; never seen the attraction of football.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 8 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (SirWilliam @ Dec 7 2017, 12:56 PM) *
???????
One would have thought they had increased relevance with 101 channels of mush , though I agree that a guide in a weekly publication would be a little pointless .

TV Guides in papers only show a few of the channels - the guide on my TV shows them all - I never look at the TV pages of the paper.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:48 PM