Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christmas Market
ebalch
post Dec 6 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,297

I paid a visit to the Christmas Market in Victoria Park last night and was quite impressed with the setup there. Free parking and a good range of suppliers, all open until 8pm and running until 22nd December. I don't know if anybody else has visited yet but I shall certainly be popping back over the month for subsequent visits, if only to sample the German sauages and beer (I'd already had my dinner last night).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 6 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It was empty and devoid of people actually BUYING anything when I passed by.... Can those traders make much from this type of event in this town? Other places when they hold them seem to be teeming but I don't think this one has received anything like enough advertising

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 6 2013, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (spartacus @ Dec 6 2013, 05:11 PM) *
It was empty and devoid of people actually BUYING anything when I passed by.... Can those traders make much from this type of event in this town? Other places when they hold them seem to be teeming but I don't think this one has received anything like enough advertising

You would have thought that as they had a rebate on the rent from NTC that they would have enough in the pot for some big time adverts.

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 6 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

Maybe I went to a different market, but the one I went to only had about ten stalls.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 6 2013, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Perhaps ebalch runs the German sausage stand?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 6 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Dec 6 2013, 05:42 PM) *
Perhaps ebalch runs the German sausage stand?

Or the beer one? tongue.gif

Looking at the pictures on Facebook, it looks dead, but that's Newbury all over these days, what with parking policies, out-of-town shops and Internet shopping, etc...!

+Quote Post
nerc
post Dec 7 2013, 06:16 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

I think it was stated a while back on another topic that the market was running for too long.

Lack of advertising is another problem and unless you live in the area then there are no signs, banners etc to inform people of the event.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I had a walk round the other day and found it very pleasant and seasonal.
Bought a few things although some of the items are very pricey.
There was a fair number of people visiting although certainly not crowded.
Didn't count but I'm sure there were far more than 10 stalls.

Had me wondering (like I do!) where they all get their standard christmas market sheds from.
As usual the web has everything! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 7 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 7 2013, 08:51 AM) *
I had a walk round the other day and found it very pleasant and seasonal.
Bought a few things although some of the items are very pricey.
There was a fair number of people visiting although certainly not crowded.
Didn't count but I'm sure there were far more than 10 stalls.

Had me wondering (like I do!) where they all get their standard christmas market sheds from.
As usual the web has everything! laugh.gif

It looked the same tat as you get in the pound shop but only a lot dearer. As they had to pay no rent and had only the expense of a flimsy shed I would of thought the prices would be a lot keener? But after all it is Christmas and we must be charitable. Wonder how the permanent traders of the town feel about the leaching of the limited amount punters have to spend going to another lot of traders who have managed to set up with little or no overheads? unsure.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 7 2013, 10:32 AM) *
It looked the same tat as you get in the pound shop but only a lot dearer. As they had to pay no rent and had only the expense of a flimsy shed I would of thought the prices would be a lot keener? But after all it is Christmas and we must be charitable. Wonder how the permanent traders of the town feel about the leaching of the limited amount punters have to spend going to another lot of traders who have managed to set up with little or no overheads? unsure.gif

You can buy a chocolate hammer for £15! ohmy.gif

Oh, and actually it's Advent! smile.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Dec 7 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 7 2013, 09:33 AM) *
You can buy a chocolate hammer for £15! ohmy.gif

What, to go with a chocolate fireguard ! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 7 2013, 10:20 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Dec 7 2013, 10:58 AM) *
What, to go with a chocolate fireguard ! laugh.gif

Didn't see any teapots!
I will enquire next time I go down! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Hatter
post Dec 7 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,046

There was the Christmas Market, the real Market and a Market in Northbrook Street today. Weird, we don't have a decent one all year then three come along at the same time!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Dec 7 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

Dear Forum Members,

As a Victoria Ward Councillor I would be very interested to hear any developmental thoughts about the Christmas Market in the park as well as whether you feel that is will/has enhanced the Newbury residents and retailers experience during this period.

Yours sincerely

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 7 2013, 10:51 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

It's ok as these things go, but far less a draw than I'd have hoped. Not really well promoted, so stalls seem rather random. Doesn't seem to 'fit' against Parkway shops, would be better in Northbrook Street. Looks as if it will cost a bit to restore the park, so I hope we don't get landed with a bill.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 8 2013, 01:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 7 2013, 10:51 PM) *
. Looks as if it will cost a bit to restore the park, so I hope we don't get landed with a bill.

This is always a problem when people tread a path on wet and soft grass. Usually the grass grows back in the spring and we are none the worse. That said however, there is bound to be some reparation required and to pay for this, the Town Council should have held a sum of money for that purpose plus the rental for Victoria Park to be paid by the operator. (Ah sorry forgot we let them have it for free,)

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 8 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Dec 7 2013, 10:10 PM) *
Dear Forum Members,

As a Victoria Ward Councillor I would be very interested to hear any developmental thoughts about the Christmas Market in the park as well as whether you feel that is will/has enhanced the Newbury residents and retailers experience during this period.

Yours sincerely

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Ruwan, perhaps you could confirm what involvement there has been by Newbury Town Council in this Christmas market. My understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this was a commercial venture organised for profit. The operation obviously depends upon the council renting the space. The BID does not seem to have any involvement so who has driven the project forward.
You ask for developmental comments but will this affect how the council proceed next year, As for the residents and retailers offering an opinion on this forum, that would be a cop out and you really need to discuss this with the retailers perhaps through the BID.

You might be interested in the sponsors, no mention of NTC council you will note.

http://www.newburychristmasmarket.co.uk/sponsors.php

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post Dec 8 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Dec 8 2013, 01:44 PM) *
Ruwan, perhaps you could confirm what involvement there has been by Newbury Town Council in this Christmas market. My understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, is that this was a commercial venture organised for profit. The operation obviously depends upon the council renting the space. The BID does not seem to have any involvement so who has driven the project forward.
You ask for developmental comments but will this affect how the council proceed next year, As for the residents and retailers offering an opinion on this forum, that would be a cop out and you really need to discuss this with the retailers perhaps through the BID.

You might be interested in the sponsors, no mention of NTC council you will note.

http://www.newburychristmasmarket.co.uk/sponsors.php

Exhausted, yes the Xmas Market is a commercial endeavour so I assume that it is for profit. Officers from NTC have been directly involved in liaising with the organiser as well as the BID over this project. As for who drove the project forward, I do not personally have the answer to this question at this moment. I had assumed that there was a tripartite arrangement between the organiser, the BID and NTC.

Regarding asking for feedback, I have asked for viewpoints here but we will also be asking through other channels as well, for we need to hear the thoughts (both positive and negative) from the local retailers as well as residents, some of whom already have approached the council with concerns.

Newbury Town Council will only be able to say whether the event was a success once it has heard back from the local retailers and residents, so I must hold back any judgement until then.

As for any damage sustained to Victoria Park, a deposit was taken for this very reason.

Yours sincerely

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 8 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera @ Dec 8 2013, 04:42 PM) *
Exhausted, yes the Xmas Market is a commercial endeavour so I assume that it is for profit. Officers from NTC have been directly involved in liaising with the organiser as well as the BID over this project. As for who drove the project forward, I do not personally have the answer to this question at this moment. I had assumed that there was a tripartite arrangement between the organiser, the BID and NTC.

Regarding asking for feedback, I have asked for viewpoints here but we will also be asking through other channels as well, for we need to hear the thoughts (both positive and negative) from the local retailers as well as residents, some of whom already have approached the council with concerns.

Newbury Town Council will only be able to say whether the event was a success once it has heard back from the local retailers and residents, so I must hold back any judgement until then.

As for any damage sustained to Victoria Park, a deposit was taken for this very reason.

Yours sincerely

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera

Is it a uniquely Newbury approach that "entrepreneurs" get public facilities and funds for free. Market, cinema and Parkway spring to mind.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 8 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (newres @ Dec 8 2013, 04:54 PM) *
Is it a uniquely Newbury approach that "entrepreneurs" get public facilities and funds for free. Market, cinema and Parkway spring to mind.

Our local authorities are not too good at commercial negotiations it would seem hence the giving away of every asset that Newbury once owned. I suppose they could try a bit of spin and state we managed to negotiate the grand sum of £1.00 for Parkway as a success but would not like to be the person given that task? We still await the outcome of giving away the rest of Newbury for the Market Street redevelopment. What concerns me is what happens in the future now that all the
family silver has been given away? Will Newbury end up a run down tatty eyesore as nothing left to give away? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:35 AM