> Police, Above the bloody law!! nobs.
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 09:46 AM
Post #61

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

Anyone see Police Interceptors?

A properly sorted Polo on air ride was not only referred to as "Golf GTI 180" which doesn't exist laugh.gif but they referred to the suspension as having "comedy shock absorbers" LOL when anyone knows that it's not shock absorbers which dictate ride height. wink.gif

I'd love for that to have been me as I would have happily gone to court (and won).

The cops spent nearly an hour waiting for the guy to come back to his car - for a well maintained, almost new Polo GTI, an enthusiast owned car, which was taxed and insured, instead of out there actually policing, no doubt there were 20 or so uninsured drivers in the area that passed through in the time they spent waiting........

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 09:55 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 09:46 AM) *
The cops spent nearly an hour waiting for the guy to come back to his car -

So, what was the outcome. Did his insurance cover the modifications.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 25 2014, 09:57 AM
Post #63

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

It's just entertainment! A modernised version of Romans throwing Christians to the lions. The public love it, so what's the harm? Any criticism is justified with self righteous comments suggesting the 'perp' deserves what they get.

Not convinced that this is a particularly good advert for the Police at all. In the light of their recent problems, makes them look even more bone headed.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 12:23 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 25 2014, 09:55 AM) *
So, what was the outcome. Did his insurance cover the modifications.

They let him go with a warning.
Unlike driving in the middle lane modifying a car isn't against the highway code and fineable.

The police are morons when it comes to things like that.

Entertainment or not Mark - the general public buy into it. I already am accused on here of being a boy racer, driving fast/recklessly. The car enthusiasts in general are tarred enough. Plus it is just more fuel for other coppers to start doing the same - and the waste of resource. That's the harm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 12:23 PM) *
Unlike driving in the middle lane modifying a car isn't against the highway code and fineable.

No, they didn't, they reported him for the offence of driving the car with the road wheels touching the body.

The highway code is an advisory set of instructions and do not constitute a legal entity although it has its basis in law. Trundling along in the left hand lane at lorry speed and weaving in and out of lanes is dangerous. If the motorway is busy then it is better for all if one is driving at the legal limit to remain in the middle lane and only move to the left when there is a clear heading in that lane. The offence would be considered to be careless driving and unless the driving compromises road safety difficult to enforce.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Feb 25 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 25 2014, 01:05 PM) *
If the motorway is busy then it is better for all if one is driving at the legal limit to remain in the middle lane and only move to the left when there is a clear heading in that lane. The offence would be considered to be careless driving and unless the driving compromises road safety difficult to enforce.

Wrong - the left hand lane is the "driving" lane the other two are overtaking lanes.

I believe the offence of lane hogging is to attract penalty points on the license soon if not already - and about time too!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 01:30 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 25 2014, 01:05 PM) *
No, they didn't, they reported him for the offence of driving the car with the road wheels touching the body.

The highway code is an advisory set of instructions and do not constitute a legal entity although it has its basis in law. Trundling along in the left hand lane at lorry speed and weaving in and out of lanes is dangerous. If the motorway is busy then it is better for all if one is driving at the legal limit to remain in the middle lane and only move to the left when there is a clear heading in that lane. The offence would be considered to be careless driving and unless the driving compromises road safety difficult to enforce.

He got no fines and no points.

Think what you like RE the motorway but you can't sit in the middle lane all day!

I drive (probably) more than you do on the motorways. I can happily sit at 70 on the inside lane for long periods at a time. Even when it is busy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 25 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 12:23 PM) *

The police are morons when it comes to things like that.

Entertainment or not Mark - the general public buy into it. I already am accused on here of being a boy racer, driving fast/recklessly. The car enthusiasts in general are tarred enough. Plus it is just more fuel for other coppers to start doing the same - and the waste of resource. That's the harm.

Quite agree, in effect it's Daily Mail Policing, just pick on the punters that look a bit different, or do things that stand out. What gets me is the making thus all loom exciting and bigged up. The trouble is, the Police then think they have to behave like that normally. In reality, they are nothing like that more Rowan Atkinson in Thin Blue Line!

Half the time, as far as the great British public are concerned, it's jealousy that brings out the bile against enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, but enthusiasts are some of the most cautious drivers I know - simply because they don't want to stress their machines. Fair enough!

Real bad drivers are the likes of me, running late and showing off to the client. Lovely newish Ford, but it ain't mine!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #69

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 01:30 PM) *
He got no fines and no points.

Think what you like RE the motorway but you can't sit in the middle lane all day!

I drive (probably) more than you do on the motorways. I can happily sit at 70 on the inside lane for long periods at a time. Even when it is busy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

You followed through to the magistrates court obviously.

No, you miss the point, You cannot sit in the inside lane at 70mph when it's full of lorries doing 56mph. I would actually shift into that nearside lane if I see a clear lane. I cannot understand why people get so puffed up over motorway driving, most regular drivers go about their business safely and it's only the "self important know it all I'm a perfect driver" who get hot under the collar. I agree that drivers doing 55mph should move over and join the lorry traffic and stay there but then they would get tailgated by the big'uns. Serve them right then.
Driving the M4/M25 to East London through the Blackwall tunnel every day both ways for a couple of years would put some hairs on your chest.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 02:42 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

I know the guy who owns the car..................

No, not when it's full. When is it ever "full". Or is it that you see a lorry 3/4 of a mile away and think "nah".
If by "regular drivers" you mean "morons" then yes, of course you'd be right laugh.gif

It's not self important at all, it's trying to have a relaxing journey and there's an idiot on the middle of the road.

Maybe each lane should have a "minimum" speed....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 25 2014, 02:44 PM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 01:30 PM) *

I don't think anyone on here endorses that idea. Where the argument starts is when the nearside lane is busy and the vehicles are going slower than 70odd.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 02:52 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Sensible quote from somebody...

Surely moving left into a 200m gap then moving right again after about 60m (in order to leave the appropriate 2 second, 70m spacing both sides) is far more dangerous, and leads to far more lane changing than sitting in the middle lane at 70. By definition you can't be holding up any law abiding citizens so what is the problem? Why should I make my and other people's life more dangerous to make it easier for others to break the law? Should we leave our houses unlocked so as not to inconvenience burglars?

or

The bigger problem is presented by the outside lane, and there are major problems with outside lane hogs. In my experience, if the middle lane is full, it's because they are actually overtaking the lorries. The inside lane is usually absolutely chock-a-block with freight traffic, which in practice means that staying on the inside lane for any significant length of time is impractical unless you wish to indefinitely be doing 40mph and stuck behind an HGV. It is indeed frustrating when everyone is overtaking you in the middle lane, and I would agree that it is simple good manners to let someone in who might be stuck behind a lorry, but staying in the middle lane to overtake a never-ending convoy of freight traffic is preferable to - and safer than - weaving in and out constantly to avoid it.

Your turn.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #73

Advanced Member

Haha! I'm far too busy at work to enter into a debate that you and I have had plenty of times already.
I've never found the inside lane to be chockablock with frieght traffic.. but OK smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 03:04 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 02:42 PM) *
I know the guy who owns the car..................

Forum member ?? .

Try the M4 at 8:00 am then.

I'm OK, it's my day off.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 03:11 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

Facebook.
I've done that plenty of times mate!
A34 is worse to be honest.

Couldn't tell.... not that replying to my posts within about 3 minutes gave any indication whatsoever! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 03:17 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 25 2014, 03:11 PM) *
Facebook.
I've done that plenty of times mate!
A34 is worse to be honest.

Couldn't tell.... not that replying to my posts within about 3 minutes gave any indication whatsoever! laugh.gif

Knew you couldn't resist.

The A34 is dual carriageway so middle lane hogging doesn't apply. M40, like a country motorway so a different kettle of fish.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 25 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #77

Advanced Member

This is not me having a debate, lol. I'm just keeping you entertained.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Claude
post Feb 25 2014, 04:13 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

This discussion sounds like it has the makings of the next Newts meet - meet at Chieveley Services for a drive up/down the A34 then along the M4 for a junction and back. Shall we say 8am on Monday morning?

It's subjective isn't it, one man's 'it's perfectly safe to pull over to lane 1 having just overtaken HGV X' is another man's 'it's totally unsafe to pull over when I'll have to pull out again to overtake HGV Y shortly'. Sadly it's too grey an area to be right or wrong.

+Quote Post
Claude
post Feb 25 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Feb 25 2014, 02:52 PM) *
Sensible quote from somebody...

Surely moving left into a 200m gap then moving right again after about 60m (in order to leave the appropriate 2 second, 70m spacing both sides) is far more dangerous, and leads to far more lane changing than sitting in the middle lane at 70. By definition you can't be holding up any law abiding citizens so what is the problem? Why should I make my and other people's life more dangerous to make it easier for others to break the law?

Your example doesn't quote how fast each vehicle is actually travelling. An indicated 70mph on your car and a legally limited 56mph for both HGVs may in fact be an actual speed differential of just a couple of mph in reality.

Using your distances argument, you may still be able to revert to lane 1 for a whole minute before needing to pull out again if the speeds are so close. Sitting in lane 2 for 60 seconds while not overtaking anything constitutes lane-hogging in my opinion. But as I said, it's all subjective.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 25 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #80

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Feb 25 2014, 04:19 PM) *
Your example doesn't quote how fast each vehicle is actually travelling. An indicated 70mph on your car and a legally limited 56mph for both HGVs may in fact be an actual speed differential of just a couple of mph in reality.

Using your distances argument, you may still be able to revert to lane 1 for a whole minute before needing to pull out again if the speeds are so close. Sitting in lane 2 for 60 seconds while not overtaking anything constitutes lane-hogging in my opinion. But as I said, it's all subjective.

They weren't my quotes but it sort of said where I stand. Just being a bit lazy. That's it for me though.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 07:07 AM