IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The release of Abdelbaset Mohmed Al Megrahi, The Lockerbie plane crash instigator
lordtup
post Aug 23 2009, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

What is the forum's consensus on this matter ?

Put aside the various conspiracy theories regarding his involvement and concentrate on the central issue of should he have been released on humanitarian grounds considering the gravity of the offence.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 23 2009, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Justice without mercy is vengeance.

Oh and just remember, the decision was taken by the Scottish government in their devolved parliament.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Aug 23 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I think most of the furore has been caused by the reception he got when he returned to Libya. If he'd crept in quietly, I don't think there would have been half the fuss.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 23 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

Main thought on this is that I see similarities in this original case to the current case of the guy who hacked into the CIA/FBI computer (sorry for the ignorance-not my thing, def won't be hacking into any of them!!!). Both were alledged crimes commited in this country, but against (primarily) the USA (American Government & their airline & their passengers). I realise that Scotland suffered many tragic losses too, but if Uncle Sam wants the hacker extradited for trial & to serve sentence there, why didn't they have Al Megrahi? Or maybe they wanted to, but the UK staked their claim, or the Libyans wouldn't allow his extradition? Someone help me out here?! That way they could now be making the decission on whether to release him, saving the Scottish goverment the problem, who in turn have saved Mr Brown a job.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

His victims never got a reprieve, nor should he. We are living in a society where we show compassion to the guilty party.... sadly there is no compassion for their victims... they are just forgotten and become irrelevant.

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 23 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Many answers really.

1. Dodgy evidence in a skewed court - the bloke was never guilty in the first place.

2. The release was orchestrated to coincide with the 40 year anniversary of the Libyan revolution and the absence of dear Gordon on his holidays. If anyone thought that he would be quietly slipped back to his family to die in obscurity then they must be unbelievably naive.

3. Trade deals - well of course there were, the more it is denied the more sure I am that a deal was done on the quiet. You know the old saying "Believe nothing until it is officially denied."

BUT

Even if none of the above was true then we still have to respect the Scottish minister of justice for following Scots Law and not being bullied by outsiders

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 23 2009, 09:44 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 23 2009, 10:31 AM) *
His victims never got a reprieve, nor should he. We are living in a society where we show compassion to the guilty party.... sadly there is no compassion for their victims... they are just forgotten and become irrelevant.

I see where you are coming from Glenn, but although victims are sometimes forgotten, in this case & in our home they will always be remembered. I may not have known any of the victims personally & clearly some of the detail has been lost in the mist of time, but I think most people will always remember the terrible sadness that was the Lockerbie Bombings. May it's memory ever serve to teach us.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (regor @ Aug 23 2009, 10:35 AM) *
Many answers really.

1. Dodgy evidence in a skewed court - the bloke was never guilty in the first place.

I agree but that wasn't what was asked. He was convicted in a court of the crime and if he is innocent then it is for the courts to decide.... it is not up to use to presume he is innocent.

Why do we need to 'respect' their decision? Just because a decision was made by a goverment official doesn't make it right or that we should respect it. Ok, I am exaggerating here; but say it was the government’s decision to discriminate against people in Newbury – because, they say, we are not fit citizens – would you just blindly accept that decision out of respect of the government’s right to do so? I don’t think so... you’d be the first to stand up and complain. Take the Poll tax; people disagree and made their concerns and fears known... eventually they over turned the decision... in the process forcing Thatcher out. Of course you would have respected their decision and blindly took their medicine.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 23 2009, 10:44 AM) *
I see where you are coming from Glenn, but although victims are sometimes forgotten, in this case & in our home they will always be remembered. I may not have known any of the victims personally & clearly some of the detail has been lost in the mist of time, but I think most people will always remember the terrible sadness that was the Lockerbie Bombings. May it's memory ever serve to teach us.

I understand what you are saying... and we shall remember the lost lives. But what about the victims’ families, loved ones etc; shouldn’t we have considered their feelings above the interest of this murderer? What has happened now is that he has gone back home to a hero's welcome... thus rubbing the noses of the victims family in it. Is that justice... is that showing compassion to the victims?

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 23 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

Sorry, I'm not entirely convinced he was guilty in the first place but, as someone else has pointed out, it was a Scottish decision to release him anyway. It seems very strange, though, that we never hear so much as a cheep about this incident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

+Quote Post
regor
post Aug 23 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 23 2009, 10:50 AM) *
I agree but that wasn't what was asked. He was convicted in a court of the crime and if he is innocent then it is for the courts to decide.... it is not up to use to presume he is innocent.

Why do we need to 'respect' their decision? Just because a decision was made by a goverment official doesn't make it right or that we should respect it. Ok, I am exaggerating here; but say it was the government’s decision to discriminate against people in Newbury – because, they say, we are not fit citizens – would you just blindly accept that decision out of respect of the government’s right to do so? I don’t think so... you’d be the first to stand up and complain. Take the Poll tax; people disagree and made their concerns and fears known... eventually they over turned the decision... in the process forcing Thatcher out. Of course you would have respected their decision and blindly took their medicine.

I know that was not the question asked but I believe it is something which must never be forgotten and also that it colours all subsequent decisions. But of course that is just my opinion!

An official or anyone else who sticks to their guns regardless of other pressures can be considered to be either

(a) Bone headed

or

(cool.gif Principled

In this case I believe it is (cool.gif but once again that is just a matter of opinion.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 23 2009, 11:02 AM) *
Sorry, I'm not entirely convinced he was guilty in the first place but, as someone else has pointed out, it was a Scottish decision to release him anyway. It seems very strange, though, that we never hear so much as a cheep about this incident:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

I also don't believe he was guilty; but that is just our opinions... as far as the law goes he was guilty and on that bases we should be debating the decision whether it was wise to release him or not.

To be honest the whole thing was a stitch up to appease the Americans; they wanted closure and probably some sort of deal was made with the Libyan government. Megrahi's family was rewarded; and on that bases he was given a hero's welcome. Some have also questioned whether he is terminally ill. No doubt he will disappear into Libyan life... even an odd funeral might be thrown into the bargain.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (regor @ Aug 23 2009, 11:07 AM) *
I know that was not the question asked but I believe it is something which must never be forgotten and also that it colours all subsequent decisions. But of course that is just my opinion!

An official or anyone else who sticks to their guns regardless of other pressures can be considered to be either

(a) Bone headed

or

(cool.gif Principled

In this case I believe it is (cool.gif but once again that is just a matter of opinion.

As i said; I believe you could be right; that he is innocent. But we shall never know now.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 23 2009, 10:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

But don't you find it incredible that, so it seems, not one of those USN types in the USS Vincennes involved in shooting down an unarmed airliner was even disciplined - and they went on to be awarded campaign medals? I can just imagine the reaction if the Royal Navy had been the guilty party.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 23 2009, 11:24 AM) *
But don't you find it incredible that, so it seems, not one of those USN types in the USS Vincennes involved in shooting down an unarmed airliner was even disciplined - and they went on to be awarded campaign medals? I can just imagine the reaction if the Royal Navy had been the guilty party.

It is called hypocrisy of war.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Aug 23 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 23 2009, 11:34 AM) *
It is called hypocrisy of war.

Maybe - but they weren't even at war with Iran. It makes it less difficult to understand why the USA is held in such low esteem in many parts of the world.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Aug 23 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Of course, if Al Megrahi makes a miraculous recovery and reaches a ripe old age then this tension between the US and the Scottish authorities will fester. But in this country we've had to get used to making deals with the devil... How many IRA terrorists (or terrorists from both sides of the sectarian divide) have been released in an effort to bring peace? And these are people which we KNOW have put guns to peoples heads and pulled triggers... Or set off bombs knowing that innocents would be caught up in the blasts.

These people with blood LITERALLY on their hands have had to be released, not knowing whether peace would indeed come. TRUE terrorists.... Magrahi's guilt is less certain so I agree with the compassionate release. (provided he doesn't outlast his 'three months to live' scenario)

Ronnie Biggs was released on compassionate grounds too.... Again, if HE is still thumbing his nose at authorities for the next 3 years and writes a couple of bestselling memoirs in the meantime there will be those who will object to ANY future compassionate release.

It seems strange that many americans come across as God-fearing bible bashers, but deep down they've still got the pioneer/cowboy spirit and believe in "Hang 'em high or let them FRY!!" It's about revenge....

And the comparison with Iran Air Flight 655 is notable.. The crew of the US warship that shot that passenger plane down all came home to a heroes welcome didn't they? Got medals too....

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 10:54 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Hugh Saskin @ Aug 23 2009, 11:42 AM) *
Maybe - but they weren't even at war with Iran. It makes it less difficult to understand why the USA is held in such low esteem in many parts of the world.

Iran and America are and have been at war with each other over since the Shah was over thrown in Iran. It might not be a full blown war, but a war of words, propaganda, name calling and one-upmanship.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Aug 23 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Aug 23 2009, 10:57 AM) *
I understand what you are saying... and we shall remember the lost lives. But what about the victims’ families, loved ones etc; shouldn’t we have considered their feelings above the interest of this murderer? What has happened now is that he has gone back home to a hero's welcome... thus rubbing the noses of the victims family in it. Is that justice... is that showing compassion to the victims?

Of course he went home to a hero's welcome from his fellow countryman, he was a martyr to the cause, whether he was guilty or not. That's the way his supporters will look at him & that would be no different if he went home alive or dead. But that doesn't mean we should remember the disaster, the deaths, the people grieving lost ones, any less; like I say, it should serve to teach us for generations to come. The end of Al Megrahi's life is just that, no matter where it occurs. And no matter how much we may wish someone a long & tortured life for their sins, it won't take away the sadness from the famillies of a tragedy. In my experience, revenge & bitterness rarely make you happy & I've tried it. That's not to say I would think ill of anyone if that's how they cope-each to their own, of course.
Obviously I'd be concerned if he was likely to go back to re-offend in any shape or form, but I pressume the Scottish government have considered that unlikely.

Blimey, sound dead hippy, don't I?! wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Aug 23 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Rachel @ Aug 23 2009, 10:34 PM) *
Of course he went home to a hero's welcome from his fellow countryman, he was a martyr to the cause, whether he was guilty or not. That's the way his supporters will look at him & that would be no different if he went home alive or dead. But that doesn't mean we should remember the disaster, the deaths, the people grieving lost ones, any less; like I say, it should serve to teach us for generations to come. The end of Al Megrahi's life is just that, no matter where it occurs. And no matter how much we may wish someone a long & tortured life for their sins, it won't take away the sadness from the famillies of a tragedy. In my experience, revenge & bitterness rarely make you happy & I've tried it. That's not to say I would think ill of anyone if that's how they cope-each to their own, of course.
Obviously I'd be concerned if he was likely to go back to re-offend in any shape or form, but I pressume the Scottish government have considered that unlikely.

Blimey, sound dead hippy, don't I?! wink.gif

I was interested hearing, when watching the News, that the Scottish people were not very happy with the decision. On top of that a few Scottish ministers have said on record that by releasing him it won't do any favours for Scotland on the world stage. ‘A very bleak day for Scotland’ and I agree.

I hear what you are saying but I don’t agree with you. You talk about compassion because he was dying. Myra Hindley was dying of cancer and she was no threat to anybody but she was made to die in prison. The decision was political and not out of compassion. The whole episode stunk of hypocrisy. On top of that Gaddaffi's son let the cat out of the bag when he said that because he was being released they – being Britain – will get extra trade with Libya.

It was also interesting to see the Scottish flags flying in Libya when Megrahi walked down the steps. Scotland name is mud in America (and probably throughout the world)... it will be fantastic publicity for their image.... sadly for the wrong reasons.

As I said above; some believe that a deal was truck between the British government and Libya. How do we know he is really dying?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:52 PM