Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Insane driving in Newbury town centre
Sherlock
post Feb 20 2013, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,467

I saw two clapped out Golfs being driven flat out on different occasions this morning. Both drivers were un-concerned about the possibility of being stopped by the police.

I noted the registration number of one of them (red with an N plate) and will pass it on to the police, though I doubt that will do much good. This moron is going to kill someone before long if he's allowed to stay on the roads.

Both drivers were wearing baseball caps: is this significant?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 10:28 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

I would just like to get in there straight away that neither of them were me. Mine is not an N reg neither is it clapped out, and it's not Red. As I was in Thatcham this morning driving at 30mph to work. biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Although I don't think reporting it to the police is going to be of any good.
Your idea of "insane" might be different to the legal definition of dangerous. And likewise it's just your own point of view regarding the definition of "flat out", again could be different as it's well reported peoples sense of speed is very different.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 20 2013, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

well as far as i am concerned they can drive around like morons and hopefully when they crash all they injur is themselves plus they will be 2 less clapped out golfs on the road

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 20 2013, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 10:28 AM) *
And likewise it's just your own point of view regarding the definition of "flat out", again could be different as it's well reported peoples sense of speed is very different.

How about "well over the speed limit"? I'm sure most people can judge that. "Flat out" was was just a turn of phrase: probably a slight overstatement, as that would probably be about 90mph in an old Golf, wouldn't it?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 20 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (desres123 @ Feb 20 2013, 12:35 PM) *
well as far as i am concerned they can drive around like morons and hopefully when they crash all they injur is themselves plus they will be 2 less clapped out golfs on the road

Unless, of course, they hit you in the process and, even if you are not seriously injured or killed, you will probably find they are not insured. sad.gif

PS. Were the baseball caps worn round the right way as this is significant! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 20 2013, 10:38 AM) *
How about "well over the speed limit"? I'm sure most people can judge that. "Flat out" was was just a turn of phrase: probably a slight overstatement, as that would probably be about 90mph in an old Golf, wouldn't it?

Yes I see what you are saying.
Motorcycle News did a feature where they took age ranges of people, both bikers and non-bikers, and took a Fireblade or something and rode past at 30mph in 1st, 30mph in 6th, 70mph in 2nd, and 70mph in 6th and people had to guess their speed.

There was I think on average over a 20% over estimation on the louder drive-bys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 01:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 20 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Unless, of course, they hit you in the process and, even if you are not seriously injured or killed, you will probably find they are not insured. sad.gif

PS. Were the baseball caps worn round the right way as this is significant! tongue.gif

Oh give over with your assumptions.
Why are they "probably" not insured? Because they are presumably young drivers? Or because they wear baseball caps? Or because they have older cars? What sort of assumptive and prejudiced attitude is that.........

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 20 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 01:04 PM) *
Oh give over with your assumptions.
Why are they "probably" not insured? Because they are presumably young drivers? Or because they wear baseball caps? Or because they have older cars? What sort of assumptive and prejudiced attitude is that.........

...a tongue-in-cheek one. wink.gif

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 20 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 20 2013, 02:05 PM) *
...a tongue-in-cheek one. wink.gif

You can never tell with Biker1! Seemed a pretty straight faced comment to me. The second part perhaps hence the application of a weird smiley (tongue.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 20 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Funnily enough I noticed a golf (convertible I think) driving ridiculously fast past the school on the Andover Road the other day. I don't think there was a baseball cap involved.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 20 2013, 05:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (motormad @ Feb 20 2013, 12:24 PM) *
Yes I see what you are saying.
Motorcycle News did a feature where they took age ranges of people, both bikers and non-bikers, and took a Fireblade or something and rode past at 30mph in 1st, 30mph in 6th, 70mph in 2nd, and 70mph in 6th and people had to guess their speed.

There was I think on average over a 20% over estimation on the louder drive-bys.

Some very good local evidence supports this as well. I was involved with a Neighbourhood Action Group where a fair number of residents were vociferous with complaints about speeding cars on the local roads. The Police arranged to borrow some detectors, simply to get an idea of the problem. Six separate locations, each over two days, total number of motorists over limit, 3 and then by a small margin.

I saw an even bigger danger yesterday, a white van 'bounced up' onto the pavement, driver had ear stuck to a mobile. No reason why he needed to park half on the pavement, unless he really did want to take out random dog walkers, vis me. Regrettably, van wasn't marked, so I couldn't call and complain.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 21 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Feb 20 2013, 05:32 PM) *
Some very good local evidence supports this as well. I was involved with a Neighbourhood Action Group where a fair number of residents were vociferous with complaints about speeding cars on the local roads. The Police arranged to borrow some detectors, simply to get an idea of the problem. Six separate locations, each over two days, total number of motorists over limit, 3 and then by a small margin.

Well now, that's interesting isn't it! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 21 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

But inappropriate speed isn't necessarily over the limit.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 21 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 21 2013, 08:03 PM) *

Exactly

+Quote Post
motormad
post Feb 21 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 21 2013, 08:03 PM) *

No-one ever said it was -
But you never hear middle aged people who have no jobs, sitting at home saying "THAT MANIAC WAS GOING 25 IN A 30 ON A SCHOOL DAY".
It's always "THAT MANIAC WAS DOING 400 MPH IN A 10 ZONE".

The point being that the OP stated without any sort of physical proof, only his opinion and judgement of speed which as we have discussed can be out by quite a margin, that two presumably young people were driving in a way he would personally describe as "insane".
I think a lot of people on here place themselves with a higher "moral standpoint" than they actually have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Feb 21 2013, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Then we have a problem lads! How do you Police 'inappropriate'? Given that we can only prosecute for failing to obey road signs if they are installed exactly to specification, driving at or near the speed limit is legitimate. Under our present laws, 'inappropriate' only becomes relevant after the event. Could take the 'inappropriate; argument to great lengths, after all, driving a four x four for the urban school run is wholly inappropriate.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 21 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Not exactly correct, but I get your drift.

Section 3 of the Road Traffic Acts ('careless driving') has subsections to deal with the driving behaviour alleged, but there has to be a weight of evidence to have a hope of getting to Court.

What is wrong with driving 4x4s for any particular journey? That sort of control sounds a bit oppressive.....

+Quote Post
desres123
post Feb 21 2013, 11:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 21 2013, 10:50 PM) *
Not exactly correct, but I get your drift.

Section 3 of the Road Traffic Acts ('careless driving') has subsections to deal with the driving behaviour alleged, but there has to be a weight of evidence to have a hope of getting to Court.

What is wrong with driving 4x4s for any particular journey? That sort of control sounds a bit oppressive.....

Or another question is there really need for a 4x4 unless you plan to go off roading or a farmer. Always amuses me seeing a 4x4 stuck in mud/water and needing assistance

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 21 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Perhaps a little poetic licence from Sherlock but I believe that it is a little unnerving to have small noisy cars driven through normal traffic as if their mission is to force all other cars out of the way. I haven't witnessed these particular cars but there are enough around Newbury and other towns that I know where he is coming from. It usually manifests itself as rapid lane changing, cutting in front and never ever signalling.
I'm sure that their lowered suspension, large exhaust pipes sticking out the back and the superior skill of the chav behind the wheel will keep us all safe and all they have done is disrupt the traffic and possibly give a few drivers a diificult five minutes.
It is irritating nevertheless and one can only hope that they do not join the young driver accident statistics.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 21 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (desres123 @ Feb 21 2013, 11:16 PM) *
Or another question is there really need for a 4x4 unless you plan to go off roading or a farmer. Always amuses me seeing a 4x4 stuck in mud/water and needing assistance

generalisations can have weaknesses
What is wrong with this car?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:55 AM