IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> West Berkshire affordable homes crisis deepens, prices soar while council struggles to meet target
Andy Capp
post Apr 11 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

I was amused by this one. Even some Tories describe West Berks's need for less expensive homes as dire, except of course portfolio holder for housing, Hilary Cole.

However, portfolio holder for housing, Hilary Cole, said the council was working to provide more affordable homes.

She said: "It is important to note that many developments have brought a significant number of affordable homes to the area, for example the Racecourse development where of 2,000 housing units, 40% will be affordable.

"37 affordable homes were provided as part of the Parkway development and 40% of the potential 2,000 units at the Sandleford development will be affordable.

"Given the clarity of those affordable housing numbers, it is difficult to see how our continued supply of affordable housing can be termed as ‘dire’."

The situation is dire now, yet most of the homes Cllr Cole refers to are not yet built or available to be moved into.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 11 2016, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 11 2016, 04:57 PM) *
The situation is dire now, yet most of the homes Cllr Cole refers to are not yet built or available to be moved into.

And that's the rub.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Sherlock
post Apr 12 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,467

Is the Sandelford development ever going to be built? Or will the endless protests from Wash Common's NIMBYs delay it indefinitely?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 12 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Sherlock @ Apr 12 2016, 10:11 AM) *
Is the Sandelford development ever going to be built? Or will the endless protests from Wash Common's NIMBYs delay it indefinitely?

These NIMBY's seem to ignore the fact that once upon a time the land where their property was built was once also an empty field. They're probably quite happy that local protests were ignored and the planning permission went through for their home, but are denying the opportunity for others to be in a similar position of house ownership. While these NIMBYs continue to exploit every avenue for delay the affordable housing problem will continue. The protests will drag on for a few more years yet.

Even the most ignorant realise that houses have to be built somewhere, but finding land that isn't subject to flooding, or some other environmental issue such as some rare snail or plant preventing development is becoming like hen's teeth.

If, once all the protests have been exhausted, a development is approved the next protest will be about those 'affordable homes'. One thing those NIMBYs hate more than a housing development is a housing development where parts could be described as a 'Council Estate'.....

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Apr 12 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 12 2016, 05:32 PM) *
These NIMBY's seem to ignore the fact that once upon a time the land where their property was built was once also an empty field. They're probably quite happy that local protests were ignored and the planning permission went through for their home, but are denying the opportunity for others to be in a similar position of house ownership. While these NIMBYs continue to exploit every avenue for delay the affordable housing problem will continue. The protests will drag on for a few more years yet.

Even the most ignorant realise that houses have to be built somewhere, but finding land that isn't subject to flooding, or some other environmental issue such as some rare snail or plant preventing development is becoming like hen's teeth.

If, once all the protests have been exhausted, a development is approved the next protest will be about those 'affordable homes'. Otne thing those NIMBYs hate more than a housing development is a housing development where parts could be described as a 'Council Estate'.....

The problem is that rather a lot more will have to be relying on council housing as more and more are finding it impossible to earn enough to obtain a mortgage for the price of even a flat.

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 12 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (spartacus @ Apr 12 2016, 05:32 PM) *

If, once all the protests have been exhausted, a development is approved the next protest will be about those 'affordable homes'. One thing those NIMBYs hate more than a housing development is a housing development where parts could be described as a 'Council Estate'.....

Agreed.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Apr 12 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Apr 12 2016, 06:03 PM) *
The problem is that rather a lot more will have to be relying on council housing as more and more are finding it impossible to earn enough to obtain a mortgage for the price of even a flat.

House prices in this part of the country are high in part due to those NIMBYs ensuring that every scrap of land has to be fought over in endless court battles. Those costs will never be absorbed by the developers. They get passed on to inflated house prices.

The Circle of Life.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 12 2016, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

That is partly true in my view, but the main reason we have a problem is the nation's wealth is underpinned by the value of a private home. It is a home owning economy and political landscape. With this in mind, it is no-wonder we have NIMBYism.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Apr 12 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Can anybody describe for me exactly what an affordable home is both in availability, like how do I get one and price, like how much would it cost.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 12 2016, 11:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I can always rent (cough, cough) you a cozy little luvnest! Very reasonable, no sticky carpets. Location may vary (oh, and all earnings declared). Not that bent, not a Politician! laugh.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 13 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Apr 12 2016, 11:14 PM) *
Can anybody describe for me exactly what an affordable home is both in availability, like how do I get one and price, like how much would it cost.

No because there isn't an exact definition, but you should already know this as you have asked this question several times on here.

However, here's some info: http://blog.shelter.org.uk/2015/08/what-is...rdable-housing/

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Apr 14 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 13 2016, 01:00 AM) *
No because there isn't an exact definition, but you should already know this as you have asked this question several times on here. However, here's some info: http://blog.shelter.org.uk/2015/08/what-is...rdable-housing/

You are right of course but my reason for the question which seems to be unanswerable is that every planning application and every councillor bangs on about "affordable housing" but never come up with an answer. It's a phrase that they believe will make their lower paid voters believe that they are looking after their interests. I would like to know for example, how "affordable" the apartments are in the Parkway complex and what criteria their selected managing agency uses to select the prospective tenants. Will it be local people on which housing list I wonder. That's if they ever get let of course.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 15 2016, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Apr 15 2016, 12:15 AM) *
You are right of course but my reason for the question which seems to be unanswerable is that every planning application and every councillor bangs on about "affordable housing" but never come up with an answer. It's a phrase that they believe will make their lower paid voters believe that they are looking after their interests. I would like to know for example, how "affordable" the apartments are in the Parkway complex and what criteria their selected managing agency uses to select the prospective tenants. Will it be local people on which housing list I wonder. That's if they ever get let of course.

You aren't supposed to notice that. The word 'affordable' is the political equivalent of 'paracetamol'. I'm rather surprised that in this centenary period we haven't resurrected the old expression to cover these needs 'homes fit for heros' - which was just as meaningless.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:38 PM