IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Public Sector Executive Salaries, How much would you pay?
On the edge
post May 4 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

This week's NWN suggests that the CEO at West Berks 'earns' more than the Prime Minister. Indeed, there are also several other Council Executives on six figure salaries. Given that accountability is with the Councillors and in reality, the span of control / responsibility is quite limited that seems rather a lot. Arguably, WBC isn't much more complex than say a small / medium publisher or insurance firm - but without the CEO carrying any personal risk. At a rough stab, I'd say the job was worth around £75k per annum maximum. Anyone else have a view?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roger T
post May 4 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,712

It's easy to complain when you aren't paid as much. I suppose those in power much earn that somehow.
Simple to complain about pay. Ultimately there are bigger wastes of public money.

Cinema trips, I suppose.
But another thread on the council. A bit dull, like the Hungry Caterpillar in Black and White.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 4 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 4 2012, 04:30 PM) *
This week's NWN suggests that the CEO at West Berks 'earns' more than the Prime Minister. Indeed, there are also several other Council Executives on six figure salaries. Given that accountability is with the Councillors and in reality, the span of control / responsibility is quite limited that seems rather a lot. Arguably, WBC isn't much more complex than say a small / medium publisher or insurance firm - but without the CEO carrying any personal risk. At a rough stab, I'd say the job was worth around £75k per annum maximum. Anyone else have a view?

Quite a lot less than he is getting. Quite honestly all the council is now is an admin team. They no longer provide any in-house services, CCTV, cleaners, refuse collectors, housing etc are all third party.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post May 4 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

CEO pay is a joke. Well, not a joke it is wrong. They get sacked ,removal expenses are paid for
and they end up elswhere in the same sort of job at another 20K.
My beef is that nothing is allowed to be published.
It is a gang mentality. My point, eventually is to consider the group. Known as .....
It seems to have been deleted.
oh well .ce I have one 40 ft deep.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 4 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It is disgusting that he is paid that much when services are being cut and jobs are being lost.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 4 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/?s=salaries+...r+the+spotlight

Council works were told that for the third year running pay would be frozen. It now appears that these four top earners - Chief exec £158,698; Dir Young People £120,556; enironment Dir £120,357 and Dir Comm Services £112,380 - did get a increase.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 4 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 4 2012, 04:30 PM) *

Couldn't agree more OtE, it's obscene, but how do we elect representatives that will challenge it?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post May 4 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

Their salaries are excessive to say the least. The chief exec is a glorified administrator. No comparison with the private sector is applicable.
About £60-65k is about the right level. About half of what he gets in other words. Public sector salaries at the top end are a sick joke. These people could not possibly ever dream of the same pay in a private sector position.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 5 2012, 05:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 4 2012, 09:28 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/?s=salaries+...r+the+spotlight

Council works were told that for the third year running pay would be frozen. It now appears that these four top earners - Chief exec £158,698; Dir Young People £120,556; enironment Dir £120,357 and Dir Comm Services £112,380 - did get a increase.

The increase was very small, but my query is what the step between Directors and CEO is so great. To promote one level and get a 30% increase seems wrong

+Quote Post
user23
post May 5 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

This doesn't seem to be correct unless I'm interpreting Wikipedia wrongly.

It says that David Cameron's salary is £142,000 in addition to his £65,000 MP's salary, which for me works out at £207,000.

This is also just Cameron's salary and doesn't include other benefits like pension contributions which the NWN figure does, so at a guess the Prime Minister's total remuneration package is around £250k a year.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 5 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ May 5 2012, 08:44 AM) *
This doesn't seem to be correct unless I'm interpreting Wikipedia wrongly.

It says that David Cameron's salary is £142,000 in addition to his £65,000 MP's salary, which for me works out at £207,000.

This is also just Cameron's salary and doesn't include other benefits like pension contributions which the NWN figure does, so at a guess the Prime Minister's total remuneration package is around £250k a year.

I think 'gets paid more than the Prime Minister' is a bit of a red herring and is certainly getting over used. The local query is only about whether our top Officers are value for money. I doubt they are

+Quote Post
Grumpy
post May 5 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,689

Whilst we are looking at executives pay, don't forget Sovereign Housing, who took over Council Housing, renamed it Social Housing and built themselves a vast empire with highly paid executives on the pretence of housing the needy.

As well as being totally incompetent at what they are supposed to be doing, they are creaming off vast salaries for themselves, building up their pension fund, driving around in expensive motor cars and submitting ridiculous expense accounts.

All of the affordable housing locally is being taken on by Sovereign who allocate it to the dregs of society who have never done a days work, instead of making it available to the lower paid WORKERS who would really appreciate a step on to the housing ladder.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 5 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ May 5 2012, 08:56 AM) *
I think 'gets paid more than the Prime Minister' is a bit of a red herring and is certainly getting over used. The local query is only about whether our top Officers are value for money. I doubt they are

Ah but the argument is.....if you don't pay the going rate for a top man then you end up with someone who does not carry out their duties so well..... Oh ok that's that argument down the drain then! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 5 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Grumpy @ May 5 2012, 08:37 PM) *
Whilst we are looking at executives pay, don't forget Sovereign Housing, who took over Council Housing, renamed it Social Housing and built themselves a vast empire with highly paid executives on the pretence of housing the needy.

As well as being totally incompetent at what they are supposed to be doing, they are creaming off vast salaries for themselves, building up their pension fund, driving around in expensive motor cars and submitting ridiculous expense accounts.

All of the affordable housing locally is being taken on by Sovereign who allocate it to the dregs of society who have never done a days work, instead of making it available to the lower paid WORKERS who would really appreciate a step on to the housing ladder.

I clean forgot the local quango's. Even more incredible that the Council Chief gets paid more - given he is doing far less! Doesn't run Housing any more, Schools are 'self governed' generally and waste wholly managed long term contract etc, etc. - what else is left.

Housing Associations have lead a charmed life - the 'no risk' private sector - a better arrangement than the banks!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
John C
post May 5 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

Perhaps that's why they wont let allotments go to self management as that, the Charter Market and the planing dept, are the only things left the have to make decisions on. As nearly everything else is done by private tender which would explain why we get a second rate overpriced services

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 5 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (John C @ May 5 2012, 09:23 PM) *
Perhaps that's why they wont let allotments go to self management as that, the Charter Market and the planing dept, are the only things left the have to make decisions on. As nearly everything else is done by private tender which would explain why we get a second rate overpriced services

Someone has to make a profit thats what taxpayers were invented for! Those at the top get a bigger share than those at the bottom even if those at the bottom are hardly surviving! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 5 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Grumpy @ May 5 2012, 08:37 PM) *

My other half was brought up in a council house. Dad died in the war so she was a single mother. Worked in munitions until the end of the war and then in rifle production for the forces. On retirement she got a job in the local greengrocers and retired in her 70's (she left school at 14). Aunt lives in Sovereign house, she is severely disabled and needs on site warden. They will thrilled to be called 'dregs of society'.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 5 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (John C @ May 5 2012, 09:23 PM) *

You're getting your councils mixed up. WBC do not run the Newbury allotments or the 'Charter' market.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 5 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Jayjay @ May 5 2012, 10:49 PM) *
My other half was brought up in a council house. Dad died in the war so she was a single mother. Worked in munitions until the end of the war and then in rifle production for the forces. On retirement she got a job in the local greengrocers and retired in her 70's (she left school at 14). Aunt lives in Sovereign house, she is severely disabled and needs on site warden. They will thrilled to be called 'dregs of society'.

That makes no sense, are you making it up?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 6 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 6 2012, 12:30 AM) *
That makes no sense, are you making it up?

Time to withdraw the generalisation with grace, I suspect.....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:57 PM