Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where are the taxis?
JeffG
post Nov 7 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 56

I assumed that's what you meant. How can you tell someone is foreign just by looking at them?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 7 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #42

Guests

Because you.... wait a minute, I'm not falling for that trap!! sleep.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 6 2011, 05:47 PM) *
I know there is a rank at The Wharf and the top pf Northbrook Street, but where else?

I've found the plans for the new taxi ranks on this link.
taxi consultation

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 7 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Cool, well done for finding this. Appears that the taxi drivers who campaigned against the changes were informed aout the consultation, judging the amount of objections that the council say they recieved?

https://www.engagespace.co.uk/westberks/con...layMode=Results

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 7 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Well regardless, I don't like it and I see the move as a nonsense.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 7 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Nov 7 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Well regardless, I don't like it and I see the move as a nonsense.

Not many people like it. The taxi drivers themselves campaigned against it, yet according to the consultation, there were no objections. Strange.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 7 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 06:57 PM) *
I've found the plans for the new taxi ranks on this link.
taxi consultation

I find it suspicious the result is published before the start of the consultation period....

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 7 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Nov 7 2011, 09:27 PM) *
I find it suspicious the result is published before the start of the consultation period....

Start: Mar 3, 2011 End: Mar 24, 2011 Results Published: Jan 1, 2001 laugh.gif

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 7 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Not many people like it. The taxi drivers themselves campaigned against it, yet according to the consultation, there were no objections. Strange.

Perhaps by the time that the 'proper consultation' started they were too knackered from all the bickering and arguing that they forgot to actually lodge a formal objection? With these sort of things council's legal team have a statutory obligation to consult with representative bodies. Maybe this is one of those situations where it was "I thought YOU were doing it?" "Nah, I thought YOU were doing it!" and nothing gets done.......

+Quote Post
Angry of Hungerf...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 489

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 7 2011, 11:25 PM) *
Start: Mar 3, 2011 End: Mar 24, 2011 Results Published: Jan 1, 2001 laugh.gif

Perhaps by the time that the 'proper consultation' started they were too knackered from all the bickering and arguing that they forgot to actually lodge a formal objection?

From what I hear the day they were told about the closure of this rank they held meetings with Newbury town council, Tvp and WBC but were not listened too... I understand Tvp also had objections - namely increased violence.

It was pushed through by some guy called Mark Cole at WBC (anyone know who or what he does?)

Anyway I have put a poll on the forum to see what people really think.

--------------------
Angry and ALWAYS angry - but still loving life :-)

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 16 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Whatever you might have 'heard', according to those dates they had three full weeks to raise an objection. As it was a proper public consultation then it would have been advertised in the paper and is normally advertised on street for those 3 weeks. These consultations are open to ANY road user (not just taxi drivers or their associations) and so any individual could have written in and objected. Even 'Angry of Hungerford' could have written in to complain...

Nobody bothered at the time.... No point getting all excited about it now is there? That's like complaining about Labour getting in Govt when you couldn't be ar$ed to turn up at the polling station.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 16 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

I knew nothing about it, and if I had, I would have objected, if I could have. Other than for the sake of aesthetics, I have not heard of one good reason to move the rank.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 16 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Consultation is a joke - for a start most people have no idea it is happening. Then there is no reason why WBC have to pay any attention to objectors (200 objections, so what, that means over 140,000 West Berks voters didn't object).

In this instance it seems that TVP, the taxi drivers and WBC officers objected - and were ignored.

It would be interesting to hear of an instance when WBC did not do something they had planned as a result of a consultation.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 16 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 16 2011, 10:45 PM) *
In this instance it seems that TVP, the taxi drivers and WBC officers objected - and were ignored.

(I take it you didn't mean WBC officers objected?)

It would be interesting to hear if that was actually true or just local forum waffle, rumour and supposition. Councils have a legal duty to consult and there are normally numerous statutory bodies they MUST consult with. These include all three emergency services, but also bodies such as the Road Haulage Assoc, Freight transport Assoc and I would suspect that the local taxi/private hire assoc are probably also sent the consultation pack.

If the bodies were sent the packs but didn't respond, then fair enough, how can the Council be at fault? If they responded but the Council ignored them and didn't even prepare a report then there should be serious questions asked.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Nov 16 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

It would be interesting to hear of an instance when WBC did not do something they had planned as a result of a consultation.

Maybe a little premature, but the pavilion?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Nov 17 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 16 2011, 11:05 PM) *
(I take it you didn't mean WBC officers objected?)

It would be interesting to hear if that was actually true or just local forum waffle, rumour and supposition. Councils have a legal duty to consult and there are normally numerous statutory bodies they MUST consult with. These include all three emergency services, but also bodies such as the Road Haulage Assoc, Freight transport Assoc and I would suspect that the local taxi/private hire assoc are probably also sent the consultation pack.

If the bodies were sent the packs but didn't respond, then fair enough, how can the Council be at fault? If they responded but the Council ignored them and didn't even prepare a report then there should be serious questions asked.

Responses were noted, but it would appear did not influence the decision.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 17 2011, 07:43 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 17 2011, 12:52 PM) *
Responses were noted, but it would appear did not influence the decision.

REALLY?!
From the consultation page:
QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 7 2011, 07:20 PM) *

"No objections were received to the proposals during the consultation period and the restrictions will therefore be introduced as advertised. "
Someone's telling porkies

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 17 2011, 07:45 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Parking charges at the Nature Discovery Centre.

+Quote Post
Weavers Walk
post Nov 17 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,234

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 17 2011, 08:43 PM) *
REALLY?!

Statutory advertisement of proposed Traffic Regulation Order

Background:
This Order forms part of the traffic management measures for Newbury town centre that will cater for the changes in traffic patterns resulting from the Parkway development, which is nearing completion. It proposes the introduction of additional parking restrictions together with amendments to existing restrictions, aimed at addressing road safety issues and managing parking on the highway.

The Order includes proposals to provide additional taxi bays in Bartholomew Street inside the Pedestrian Zone limit, for use in the evening and also on the west side loading and parking bay during the evening.. Evening taxi bays will also in introdcued in Cheap Street, Northbrook Street and Park Way. Double yellow lines have been proposed in West Street to address a road safety concern and shorten the length of on-street parked vehicles that traffic has to pass on the approach to the bend on Strawberry Hill.

You can download the Street Notice, Draft Order and plans associated with the proposal through the 'Read Background Information' link. If you have any objections to the proposals you can respond by downloading the attached Consultation Form and email this back to adrysdale@westberks.gov.uk .If you need clarification on the proposals please contact the Engineers in charge of the project.

Searched high and low for proposal to get the Taxis to leave the Market Place, can't find it anywhere in those documents. Have I missed something?

+Quote Post
John C
post Nov 17 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 16 2011, 10:38 PM) *
Whatever you might have 'heard', according to those dates they had three full weeks to raise an objection. As it was a proper public consultation then it would have been advertised in the paper and is normally advertised on street for those 3 weeks. These consultations are open to ANY road user (not just taxi drivers or their associations) and so any individual could have written in and objected. Even 'Angry of Hungerford' could have written in to complain...

Nobody bothered at the time.... No point getting all excited about it now is there? That's like complaining about Labour getting in Govt when you couldn't be ar$ed to turn up at the polling station.

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 17 2011, 07:43 PM) *
REALLY?!
From the consultation page:

"No objections were received to the proposals during the consultation period and the restrictions will therefore be introduced as advertised. "

QUOTE (Weavers Walk @ Nov 17 2011, 08:27 PM) *

Statutory advertisement of proposed Traffic Regulation Order

Background:
This Order forms part of the traffic management measures for Newbury town centre that will cater for the changes in traffic patterns resulting from the Parkway development, which is nearing completion. It proposes the introduction of additional parking restrictions together with amendments to existing restrictions, aimed at addressing road safety issues and managing parking on the highway.

The Order includes proposals to provide additional taxi bays in Bartholomew Street inside the Pedestrian Zone limit, for use in the evening and also on the west side loading and parking bay during the evening.. Evening taxi bays will also in introdcued in Cheap Street, Northbrook Street and Park Way. Double yellow lines have been proposed in West Street to address a road safety concern and shorten the length of on-street parked vehicles that traffic has to pass on the approach to the bend on Strawberry Hill.

You can download the Street Notice, Draft Order and plans associated with the proposal through the 'Read Background Information' link. If you have any objections to the proposals you can respond by downloading the attached Consultation Form and email this back to adrysdale@westberks.gov.uk .If you need clarification on the proposals please contact the Engineers in charge of the project.

Searched high and low for proposal to get the Taxis to leave the Market Place, can't find it anywhere in those documents. Have I missed something?

How can you object to something when the result is published before the consultation has even started so they could not recieve any objections before it was published. From WBC own documentation Start: Mar 3, 2011 End: Mar 24, 2011 Results Published: Jan 1, 2001
Subject: Transport, Consultation Reference Number: 559

Again it seems WBC is working to its own agenda and telling porkies to its electorate as usual.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 17 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 17 2011, 07:45 PM) *
Parking charges at the Nature Discovery Centre.

Mmm. True, but then they just took the money they anticipated raising off the centre's budget.

The Pavillion is an interesting example - the last consultation certainly derailed it, but, it's still on the books. If it does finally disappear it will be down to something like the withdrawal of Greenham Trust's funding rather than the consultation results, though they certainly will have helped.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:42 PM