Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Park Way shops, Just do do they want?
Darren
post Dec 2 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

It appears that the DPP don't want House of Frazer there now.

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=15279

Here's a novel idea, try asking the shoppers if they want them there. angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 2 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 2 2010, 03:09 PM) *

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=15279

Here's a novel idea, try asking the shoppers if they want them there. angry.gif

It seems nonsensical. House of Fraser has no connection with Newbury, so unsure how it can know or understand what Newbury wants or needs. A chain store protesting on behalf of independants seems at odds. I can only presume that HOF (nearest one Reading?) feels threatened, which seems to suggest that maybe, just maybe, Newbury is doing something right.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 2 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 2 2010, 03:09 PM) *

DPP is working on behalf of House of Fraser in putting forward their objections to the revamp to accommodate John Lewis.

The fascinating bit is why House of Fraser are getting involved.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 2 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I'm confused as to why as well.

HoF does have a homeware department with lovely items but it's hideously expensive.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 3 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

Whatever the reason for the DPP objections, they have certainly done their homework. They have been commisioned by House of Fraser to act on their behalf and that would have been a fairly costly exercise. Maybe they, HoF, have some axe to grind with John Lewis or, possibly they are looking to Newbury for their own expansion or it may be that they are acting on behalf of one of our local retailers.

It does clearly mark the cards of Standard Life who probably thought that WBC would just nod it through. Any other developer wanting to increase their footage and cover over proposed public areas would come against a brick wall I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. How critical to the development of the Newbury shopping experience is John Lewis. Do we want them at any cost.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 3 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

The project needs these so-called anchor store. The spaces won't be filled by the Barry Forkins' or Badgers of the retail world. When the Kennet Centre opened it took years to fill them and even now the toy shop is now empty.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 3 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 3 2010, 06:38 PM) *
The project needs these so-called anchor store. The spaces won't be filled by the Barry Forkins' or Badgers of the retail world. When the Kennet Centre opened it took years to fill them and even now the toy shop is now empty.

you're right but do we want them at any price.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Dec 3 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 2 2010, 10:48 PM) *
The fascinating bit is why House of Fraser are getting involved.

Because, quite simply, House of Fraser have their own plans for Newbury.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 3 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Dec 3 2010, 08:39 PM) *
Because, quite simply, House of Fraser have their own plans for Newbury.

But what are their plans?

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 3 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (blackdog @ Dec 3 2010, 09:21 PM) *
But what are their plans?
It's a bit of a guess this, but I reckon they might be opening a shop that sells stuff.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Dec 4 2010, 03:52 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 3 2010, 06:38 PM) *

If the project is so dependent on a second 'anchor' store why didn't they design them in to start with? Or do you think that they have been planning this expansion from the start and kept it hidden while the main planning application went through?

I would love to see a decent department store like John Lewis in Newbury, but not at the cost of this naff new design that takes up public space and car parking. If only they had used the £4 million to entice JL here rather than Debenhams.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 4 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

I find it unbelievable that the Tories kicked off about the Lib Dems subsidising the Cinema by £100k a year, and now they spend £4m on moving an existing store to a new location in town.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 4 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 4 2010, 10:07 AM) *
I find it unbelievable that the Tories kicked off about the Lib Dems subsidising the Cinema by £100k a year, and now they spend £4m on moving an existing store to a new location in town.

They didn't.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 4 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 4 2010, 10:35 AM) *
They didn't.

They didn't which? (of the three possibilities wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 4 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 4 2010, 10:07 AM) *

What would a Labour council have done - after going going "Wow. **** just froze over tongue.gif"?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 4 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Well, I wouldn't have given the cinema £100k a year or £4m to Debenhams. Debenhams already trade in town, and part of my gripe with the council is that Parkway was given permission on the basis of bringing new stores to town (there was no mention of relocating existing stores).

For the record, the Lib Dems agreed to subsidise the cinema to the tune of £100k a year for five years. The Conservatives complained, and even Richard Benyon described it as a "gross misuse of public money", although when it opened he said it was a fantastic development for the town. Finally, search the Newbury Today site, and you will see that a mistake on the West Berks site showed the council had given Debenhams FOUR MILLION POUNDS!!!

I agree with Parkway being built, but I don't agree with the land being sold for £1 or the fact that they are poaching existing stores in town at a huge cost to taxpayers. I agree with the cinema, but I don't agree with the subsidy at a cost to taxpayers.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 4 2010, 01:39 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 4 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Well, I wouldn't have given the cinema £100k a year or £4m to Debenhams. Debenhams already trade in town, and part of my gripe with the council is that Parkway was given permission on the basis of bringing new stores to town (there was no mention of relocating existing stores).

For the record, the Lib Dems agreed to subsidise the cinema to the tune of £100k a year for five years. The Conservatives complained, and even Richard Benyon described it as a "gross misuse of public money", although when it opened he said it was a fantastic development for the town. Finally, search the Newbury Today site, and you will see that a mistake on the West Berks site showed the council had given Debenhams FOUR MILLION POUNDS!!!

I agree with Parkway being built, but I don't agree with the land being sold for £1 or the fact that they are poaching existing stores in town at a huge cost to taxpayers. I agree with the cinema, but I don't agree with the subsidy at a cost to taxpayers.

Spot on! Ironic isn't it? I thought it was only the socalists that were supposed to meddle like this and spend national wealth trying to divert commerce for bogus social objectives.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Dec 4 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 4 2010, 12:03 PM) *

SLI gave Debenhams £4million, not WBC.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 4 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Why did the paper and this very website report that it was the council then???

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 4 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 4 2010, 11:28 AM) *
They didn't which? (of the three possibilities wink.gif)

Put it this way, of the three possibilities in Richard Garvie's post, one is incorrect (BTW - it is true that the Tories did complain about the subsidy for the cinema, but maintained it). wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:18 AM