Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meter Reading con man in Newbury area
graham
post Nov 5 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 80

A pakistani male is knocking on doors in the newbury area requesting to read your gas
meter. He will openly tell you that his is from an unknown supplier and tells you how much money he can save you.

Our gas company sent us a letter telling us to beaware of people cold calling, as some of there customers have handed over bank details.
With christmas round the corner these scum bags will do anything to get in your house let along take your money

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 5 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (graham @ Nov 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *
A pakistani male is knocking on doors in the newbury area requesting to read your gas
meter. He will openly tell you that his is from an unknown supplier and tells you how much money he can save you.

Our gas company sent us a letter telling us to beaware of people cold calling, as some of there customers have handed over bank details.
With christmas round the corner these scum bags will do anything to get in your house let along take your money

you give you bank details out every time you write a cheque.

+Quote Post
graham
post Nov 5 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 80

How many places still accept cheques?
and why would you give bank details to some bloke you have never meet before ?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 5 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (graham @ Nov 5 2010, 11:25 AM) *
How many places still accept cheques?
and why would you give bank details to some bloke you have never meet before ?

you wouldn't.

but if you did there is not much he can do with them.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 5 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 5 2010, 11:27 AM) *
you wouldn't.

but if you did there is not much he can do with them.

Remember this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/jan/0...s.scamsandfraud

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 5 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 5 2010, 11:53 AM) *

you'd need more than just someone's account number & sort code to set up a DD.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 5 2010, 12:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 5 2010, 12:04 PM) *
you'd need more than just someone's account number & sort code to set up a DD.

A man knocking at your door will have more than just a/c number and sort code. He knows where you live, and has access to any number of 'clues' to who you are, when he visits your house.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 5 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Nov 5 2010, 12:23 PM) *
A man knocking at your door will have more than just a/c number and sort code. He knows where you live, and has access to any number of 'clues' to who you are, when he visits your house.

he'd also have to have some convincing looking DD forms and an account into which to pay that money.
Clarkson was a victim of fraud ( but he'd have got his money back ) but a fraud that didn't denefit a criminal.

A bogus gas man calling is going to want to be setting up a DD to himself. Unless he is some kind of latter day Robin Hood.

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Nov 5 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

Hmmmm.... how many times have you paid for something over the phone or on the internet and been asked for the 3 digit number on the back of your card as well as your bank details? It still baffles me that this is supposedly safer than the old way as it cannot be kept a secret and has to be given out in order to set up/make payments etc.

I doubt very much that Mr Clarkson got his £500.00 back as from a legal point of view he was careless with his bank details and did not make every reasonable effort to ensure that they were protected.

A bit worried about the bogus caller in the area though. Think I need to go to Peacocks as apparently they are selling a gift that if you put it into hot water it grows into a man!!!! not sure how big it will grow though. I wonder if I put in into a bath of boiling hot water it will grow into an Arnie-type man who will scare off everyone. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 5 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chesapeake @ Nov 5 2010, 12:44 PM) *
Hmmmm.... how many times have you paid for something over the phone or on the internet and been asked for the 3 digit number on the back of your card as well as your bank details? It still baffles me that this is supposedly safer than the old way as it cannot be kept a secret and has to be given out in order to set up/make payments etc.

I doubt very much that Mr Clarkson got his £500.00 back as from a legal point of view he was careless with his bank details and did not make every reasonable effort to ensure that they were protected.

A bit worried about the bogus caller in the area though. Think I need to go to Peacocks as apparently they are selling a gift that if you put it into hot water it grows into a man!!!! not sure how big it will grow though. I wonder if I put in into a bath of boiling hot water it will grow into an Arnie-type man who will scare off everyone. tongue.gif

Clarkson did no more than if he'd paid for something mail order with a cheque.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 5 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

How do you know he's from Pakistan?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Nov 5 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (graham @ Nov 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *

I hate cold callers and always tell them that my dad isn't in. They usually go away then. I can't be bothered to argue the toss and tell them that I am the house owner.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 5 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 5 2010, 12:46 PM) *
Clarkson did no more than if he'd paid for something mail order with a cheque.

That depends if the recipient is trustworthy with the information. Information that you regard as harmless, is valuable as a part of a scamming technique for anyone inclined to do so.

+Quote Post
Welshy
post Nov 5 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,170

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Nov 5 2010, 10:39 AM) *
you give you bank details out every time you write a cheque.

lol I think you should have used the term 'asian' instead of 'pakistani'

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 6 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

OMG had this man at my door earlier this week. He said he could save me loads of money and I could get free gifts for signing up. I said I wasn't interested but he persisted and tried to enter the house to 'read the meter'. I pointed out the meter was outside, and if I wanted to change my supplier I would do it on line. Strangly enough only he could provide me with the current offer. He did ask me my details but seemed more interested in entering the house as he went from reading the meter to asking to check the fuse box inside the house. I shut the door on him in the end as he would not take no for an answer.

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post Nov 6 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #16

Guests

I'd suggest someone find out which supplier this scunger is allegedly seeking business for, and his name, and report to Trading Standards. He and his like prey on gullible or vulnerable residents.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 6 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 6 2010, 11:59 PM) *
OMG had this man at my door earlier this week. He said he could save me loads of money and I could get free gifts for signing up. I said I wasn't interested but he persisted and tried to enter the house to 'read the meter'. I pointed out the meter was outside, and if I wanted to change my supplier I would do it on line. Strangly enough only he could provide me with the current offer. He did ask me my details but seemed more interested in entering the house as he went from reading the meter to asking to check the fuse box inside the house. I shut the door on him in the end as he would not take no for an answer.

Any ideas on his nationality? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 7 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 6 2010, 10:11 PM) *
Any ideas on his nationality? wink.gif

Asian. I cannot recall ther supplier only that it wasn't British Gas or Southern Electric.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:11 AM